Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:59 PM   #41
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
I'm not so young anymore but still dumb! 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Lol...
Its funny how people recommend pushing the limits on their tow vehicle ratings, but then they freak out if you go 60-65mph and almost stroke out if you tell 'em you go 70 mph towing, especially when some of our interstates here are 75mph. To each thier own!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Lol...
Its funny how people recommend pushing the limits on their tow vehicle ratings, but then they freak out if you go 60-65mph and almost stroke out if you tell 'em you go 70 mph towing, especially when some of our interstates here are 75mph. To each thier own!
I suppose it's because it is a extremely rare case of a TV breaking due to exceeding a lawyer sticker and a rather common occurrence of factory tires blowing.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #43
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Lol...
Exactly! It's usually them SRW folks.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #44
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I suppose it's because it is a extremely rare case of a TV breaking due to exceeding a lawyer sticker and a rather common occurrence of factory tires blowing.
But how many are due to going 65 or more?
I think most tire failures are due to people,
1 not watching thier pressures
2 running old tires
3 having damaged tires, or
4 hitting or running over something.
Sometimes crap just happens though. But whether your going 60 or 70mph i fail to see how either speed is going to do more or less damage than the other.....and both are going to be within manufacturers specs if conditions are followed like op states.

Oh, and i get to see the broke crap that fails on vehicles when over loaded, at work.
But i know OC....im always wrong
Old 02-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
But how many are due to going 65 or more?
I think most tire failures are due to people,
1 not watching thier pressures
2 running old tires
3 having damaged tires, or
4 hitting or running over something.
Sometimes crap just happens though. But whether your going 60 or 70mph i fail to see how either speed is going to do more or less damage than the other.....and both are going to be within manufacturers specs if conditions are followed like op states.

Oh, and i get to see the broke crap that fails on vehicles when over loaded at work.
But i know OC....im always wrong
I think you hit the nail on the head on the tires!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #46

I thought OC was going to say you hit the nail on the head about being wrong! 😄

You know I'm not the only one who thought it!

2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

Old 02-25-2015, 10:45 PM   #47
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I thought OC was going to say you hit the nail on the head about being wrong! ��

Tsk, tsk, tsk.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #48
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:

Lol...i know!! Right!!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #49
Always Learning

Back to the OP- a member here put in a dealer information request to Maxxis and got the same basic response as what is listed in the Goodyear document: increasing the PSI allows you to increase the speed rating. The Maxxis document is a bit more confusing since it derated the carrying capacity by 10% over 70mph.

I think Tireman9 also researched if you can exceed the maximum cold inflation or tire placard to achieve this extra speed rating. I don't recall where he landed, but I think you could find his posts on it.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Back to the OP- a member here put in a dealer information request to Maxxis and got the same basic response as what is listed in the Goodyear document: increasing the PSI allows you to increase the speed rating. The Maxxis document is a bit more confusing since it derated the carrying capacity by 10% over 70mph.

I think Tireman9 also researched if you can exceed the maximum cold inflation or tire placard to achieve this extra speed rating. I don't recall where he landed, but I think you could find his posts on it.

Thanks for providing some clarity on this! I'm sure some will still think I'm a fool but that's okay with me.

2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

Old 02-25-2015, 11:28 PM   #51

Lets put it this way, most of the people towing a camper only tow it 5 to 10 times a year and are not professional drivers. So driving at a higher speed than is posted for the highway is putting everyone on the road in jeopardy. Some people towing trailers and driving motor homes shouldn't be allowed to ride a bicycle. We all have seen people try to park their trailers or cut it to close and jump the curb. Yes it could just be that person is having a bad day. The idea of going camping is to have a good time so take your time get there alive, drive safe and responsibly.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #52

Lesson learned Tom. NEVER ask a question about going over any posted rating on an RV forum. RVers are the most conservative of all forumites. Not that there's anything wrong with it. It's just the nature of they type of person who typically gets into the lifestyle. I'm on forums for every motorized thing I own. Cars, trucks, suvs, atvs, snowmobiles, motorcycles, pwcs, etc. On all of those people love sharing stories about pushing (or crushing) the limits. Do that on not just this, but any RV forum, and you're crucified. Look in the towing subforum of any RV forum and you will find example after example. I'm always surprised people still even dare to ask limit questions. It's like calling Dr. Laura and asking about your out of wedlock intimate relationship... Haven't you listened to the show?! Don't you know what's coming?! LOL...

By the way, I tow 5-10 over the limit of my trailer tires on every trailer tire I've ever owned. 10's of thousands of carefree miles. You'll be fine... Then again, I do run quality Goodyear G rated tires...
Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #53

I think the reason people don't like to push things with RV's is that they know that everything on an RV is already at max. If you look at the spec's on a lot of rv's ,NOT ALL, you will find that at GVWR the axles and tires are at there max specified. I also think that people on this form are a little bit older (and have children and grand children with them) than other forums and don't really have anything to prove, unlike the 20 something that has to brag about how fast they went etc.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I think the reason people don't like to push things with RV's is that they know that everything on an RV is already at max. If you look at the spec's on a lot of rv's ,NOT ALL, you will find that at GVWR the axles and tires are at there max specified. I also think that people on this form are a little bit older (and have children and grand children with them) than other forums and don't really have anything to prove, unlike the 20 something that has to brag about how fast they went etc.
Partially true for some forums. However, for example, if you go to the Ford Truck Enthusiast forums 6.7 diesel subforum where I frequent you will find policemen, engineers, retires, veterans, etc. Not too many 20 somethings can afford a 60+k truck. Many love pushing them hard. I guess the difference I've found is that there is a balance on other types of forums and it's more of a mindset majority on the RV forums. Again, not a criticism. Just an observation.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #55
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Lesson learned Tom. NEVER ask a question about going over any posted rating on an RV forum. RVers are the most conservative of all forumites. Not that there's anything wrong with it. It's just the nature of they type of person who typically gets into the lifestyle. I'm on forums for every motorized thing I own. Cars, trucks, suvs, atvs, snowmobiles, motorcycles, pwcs, etc. On all of those people love sharing stories about pushing (or crushing) the limits. Do that on not just this, but any RV forum, and you're crucified. Look in the towing subforum of any RV forum and you will find example after example. I'm always surprised people still even dare to ask limit questions. It's like calling Dr. Laura and asking about your out of wedlock intimate relationship... Haven't you listened to the show?! Don't you know what's coming?! LOL...

By the way, I tow 5-10 over the limit of my trailer tires on every trailer tire I've ever owned. 10's of thousands of carefree miles. You'll be fine... Then again, I do run quality Goodyear G rated tires...
Plus with the present litigation happy society we live in, the mfgrs have warning stickers that have very little, if anything, to do with the actual engineering/design limits other than maybe the tires. Never had a truck/car frame break from overloading, but sure have seen tires fail for whatever reason. The one I had that disintegrated had less than 5,000 miles and had never been curbed or driven over 65 by me. Don't know what or how it was towed by the delivery person, but I would bet it was not kept below the 65mph max. Just look at all the warning labels on everything you use these days will explain a lot.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

I knew better!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Plus with the present litigation happy society we live in, the mfgrs have warning stickers that have very little, if anything, to do with the actual engineering/design limits other than maybe the tires. Never had a truck/car frame break from overloading, but sure have seen tires fail for whatever reason. The one I had that disintegrated had less than 5,000 miles and had never been curbed or driven over 65 by me. Don't know what or how it was towed by the delivery person, but I would bet it was not kept below the 65mph max. Just look at all the warning labels on everything you use these days will explain a lot.
Agreed 100%. Funny you mention this. The first thing I do when I get a new toy is get out my heat gun and peel off all the warning stickers. LOL. There is so much orange from the warning stickers on new things you can't tell the color anymore! It's a "blame someone else" society and manufacturers are forced to protect themselves by pretending to protect us.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

This thread has gotten a bit off topic from the original question. I appears that the OPs questions have been answered, so without further ado, we are closing this thread.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, tires