Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 11:28 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
mark0224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,443
Lets put it this way, most of the people towing a camper only tow it 5 to 10 times a year and are not professional drivers. So driving at a higher speed than is posted for the highway is putting everyone on the road in jeopardy. Some people towing trailers and driving motor homes shouldn't be allowed to ride a bicycle. We all have seen people try to park their trailers or cut it to close and jump the curb. Yes it could just be that person is having a bad day. The idea of going camping is to have a good time so take your time get there alive, drive safe and responsibly.
__________________

__________________
Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is offline  
Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 603
Lesson learned Tom. NEVER ask a question about going over any posted rating on an RV forum. RVers are the most conservative of all forumites. Not that there's anything wrong with it. It's just the nature of they type of person who typically gets into the lifestyle. I'm on forums for every motorized thing I own. Cars, trucks, suvs, atvs, snowmobiles, motorcycles, pwcs, etc. On all of those people love sharing stories about pushing (or crushing) the limits. Do that on not just this, but any RV forum, and you're crucified. Look in the towing subforum of any RV forum and you will find example after example. I'm always surprised people still even dare to ask limit questions. It's like calling Dr. Laura and asking about your out of wedlock intimate relationship... Haven't you listened to the show?! Don't you know what's coming?! LOL...

By the way, I tow 5-10 over the limit of my trailer tires on every trailer tire I've ever owned. 10's of thousands of carefree miles. You'll be fine... Then again, I do run quality Goodyear G rated tires...
__________________

__________________
taken is offline  
Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,101
I think the reason people don't like to push things with RV's is that they know that everything on an RV is already at max. If you look at the spec's on a lot of rv's ,NOT ALL, you will find that at GVWR the axles and tires are at there max specified. I also think that people on this form are a little bit older (and have children and grand children with them) than other forums and don't really have anything to prove, unlike the 20 something that has to brag about how fast they went etc.
__________________
Ontario

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline  
Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I think the reason people don't like to push things with RV's is that they know that everything on an RV is already at max. If you look at the spec's on a lot of rv's ,NOT ALL, you will find that at GVWR the axles and tires are at there max specified. I also think that people on this form are a little bit older (and have children and grand children with them) than other forums and don't really have anything to prove, unlike the 20 something that has to brag about how fast they went etc.
Partially true for some forums. However, for example, if you go to the Ford Truck Enthusiast forums 6.7 diesel subforum where I frequent you will find policemen, engineers, retires, veterans, etc. Not too many 20 somethings can afford a 60+k truck. Many love pushing them hard. I guess the difference I've found is that there is a balance on other types of forums and it's more of a mindset majority on the RV forums. Again, not a criticism. Just an observation.
__________________
taken is offline  
Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #55
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Lesson learned Tom. NEVER ask a question about going over any posted rating on an RV forum. RVers are the most conservative of all forumites. Not that there's anything wrong with it. It's just the nature of they type of person who typically gets into the lifestyle. I'm on forums for every motorized thing I own. Cars, trucks, suvs, atvs, snowmobiles, motorcycles, pwcs, etc. On all of those people love sharing stories about pushing (or crushing) the limits. Do that on not just this, but any RV forum, and you're crucified. Look in the towing subforum of any RV forum and you will find example after example. I'm always surprised people still even dare to ask limit questions. It's like calling Dr. Laura and asking about your out of wedlock intimate relationship... Haven't you listened to the show?! Don't you know what's coming?! LOL...

By the way, I tow 5-10 over the limit of my trailer tires on every trailer tire I've ever owned. 10's of thousands of carefree miles. You'll be fine... Then again, I do run quality Goodyear G rated tires...
Plus with the present litigation happy society we live in, the mfgrs have warning stickers that have very little, if anything, to do with the actual engineering/design limits other than maybe the tires. Never had a truck/car frame break from overloading, but sure have seen tires fail for whatever reason. The one I had that disintegrated had less than 5,000 miles and had never been curbed or driven over 65 by me. Don't know what or how it was towed by the delivery person, but I would bet it was not kept below the 65mph max. Just look at all the warning labels on everything you use these days will explain a lot.
__________________
OldCoot is offline  
Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
I thought OC was going to say you hit the nail on the head about being wrong! 😄

You know I'm not the only one who thought it!


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I knew better!
__________________
TURBS is offline  
Old 02-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Plus with the present litigation happy society we live in, the mfgrs have warning stickers that have very little, if anything, to do with the actual engineering/design limits other than maybe the tires. Never had a truck/car frame break from overloading, but sure have seen tires fail for whatever reason. The one I had that disintegrated had less than 5,000 miles and had never been curbed or driven over 65 by me. Don't know what or how it was towed by the delivery person, but I would bet it was not kept below the 65mph max. Just look at all the warning labels on everything you use these days will explain a lot.
Agreed 100%. Funny you mention this. The first thing I do when I get a new toy is get out my heat gun and peel off all the warning stickers. LOL. There is so much orange from the warning stickers on new things you can't tell the color anymore! It's a "blame someone else" society and manufacturers are forced to protect themselves by pretending to protect us.
__________________
taken is offline  
Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
This thread has gotten a bit off topic from the original question. I appears that the OPs questions have been answered, so without further ado, we are closing this thread.
__________________

__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.