Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #1

P tires vs LT tires.

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie, 5.7l, tow package, factory 20" wheels. The original tires on my truck were P275/60 20. I only got about 25,000 miles out of these tires. I would pull a 20 ft flatbed with 2 Honda Rincons and a Polaris RZR. I am guessing the weight of this setup was about 4500 lbs. I would experience a little bit of trailer sway in high winds. I was only using a 2" ball hitch with no sway bars or weight distribution.

When I bought new tires, I went to an LT275/65 R20 and the trailer sway in the wind was greatly reduced. My wife even commented on how much better that the trailer pulled with the new tires on the truck.

My reason for posting this was to let everyone know that not all trucks come with tires that are best for towing even if they have the tow package.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #2

Hi chadster1. I did the same thing to my 06 Ram 1500, but with factory 275 70 17's. Same tire size, now in LT 275 70R 17's. Yes a big ditterence on mine as well. I also changed the shocks to Bilsteins all around, and added a hellwig leaf spring helper. MUCH better towing now. All I really need now is a 3:92 rear end instead of the 3:54. Then I'll be set. Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Hi chadster1. I did the same thing to my 06 Ram 1500, but with factory 275 70 17's. Same tire size, now in LT 275 70R 17's. Yes a big ditterence on mine as well. I also changed the shocks to Bilsteins all around, and added a hellwig leaf spring helper. MUCH better towing now. All I really need now is a 3:92 rear end instead of the 3:54. Then I'll be set. Randy
My bilstein shocks are in the garage and my Helwig helper springs should be here this week. I plan on installing them this weekend. I have the 3.92 gears. Sounds like we are going to have pretty close tow rig setups.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #4

We're picking up our camper next week. The Firestone Airbags went on last year, and the Michelin LT 275 65 R 18s went on last week. I wanted to get every bit of wear out of the old shoes before pulling them off. Tundra TRD already comes with Bilsteins on each corner.

Started loading up the camper gear today. That 6.5 ft bed fills up pretty quick.

JR