Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #1

Parked

I have a 2015 Chevrolet 2500 HD with the 6.0L engine and 4:10 rear end.
I bought a gasser for several reasons specific to me, but the main reason was that I mainly drive it when I pull the camper and diesel engines don't like to sit.
So that leads to my question. I have put less than 600 miles my truck since mid July 2018.
I have a full tank of gas and use fuel stabilizer. Should I be worried about anything else? It is parked in an unheated garage out of the weather.
Thoughts?
2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L 4:10
2016 Rockwood 2616 VS
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #2

Put a battery tender on it every couple weeks. Make sure your tires stay properly inflated. Letting them lose a few PSI could lead to dry rotting.

I'd take it for a long enough drive to get fluids up to normal operating temperatures monthly too. Seals don't like to sit and dry out.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd2436 View Post

I bought a gasser for several reasons specific to me, but the main reason was that I mainly drive it when I pull the camper and diesel engines don't like to sit.

So that leads to my question. I have put less than 600 miles my truck since mid July 2018.

I have a full tank of gas and use fuel stabilizer. Should I be worried about anything else? It is parked in an unheated garage out of the weather.

Thoughts?
Any vehicle that sits for extended periods of time is going to struggle a bit. Hoses get brittle, fluids don't circulate, mice/rodents can play havoc on an electrical system.. etc.

Could you drive it to work once a week? I think you'd have less issues if you did.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd2436 View Post
Thoughts?
You wont have any major issues, but you can do a lot to prolong the life of your engine.

My pickup sits a lot too, you will want to watch for moisture in your oil from condensation, you may see some pudding in the oil fill cap if you only do short drives. My ford has a built in calculation for changing the oil, 6 months or however many miles. it counts down for me, when it hits 5% and below, it gets changed out. they do the 6 month counter to compensate for the truck sitting. your brake rotors will get rusty as well, you may notice the crunching or grinding of the rust when you stop. i try to drive it at least once a month, engaging the 4 wheel drive system to lubricate that as well. i will take it to work, then take the long way home, just to get it warmed up.

if you let it sit for long periods of time, look at how long ethanol in fuel takes to separate. its usually about 3 months. in colder climates, make sure your tank is FULL. there is less physical room left in the tank for condensation, therefore less chance of water.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

From my experience, i agree that any vehicle doesnt like to sit. I had a F150 that I used in a similar fashion. It seemed to me that rotors, tire, break pads all wore out quicker than just driving it. After I replaced all of those, I drove the truck at east once every weekend. Truck seemed to behave and wear better after that. No science or facts behind that. Just my observation...
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #6

My son parks his 2018 Chevy High Country 2500HD diesel in his garage in the fall and it doesn't come back out till spring. He has a 2004 GMC Canyon he drives in the winter. It starts right up and he pulls it out.
OH ! he does go in and starts it a couple times during the winter. runs it a couple minutes and shuts it off.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #7

I have an '01 F250 diesel that sits in the garage all winter every winter that simply has a battery tender attached to it. Never had any problems. I am going to have to go tell it that it is supposed to not like to do that.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #8

Vehicles are like,anything else that is not used. Seals will dry out tires will dry out. Critters will get into them. Sure they will start up after sitting but it’s not good for them. Start it up drive it few times a month. Not just a short drive drive it to operating temperature. Will it hurt it to set maybe not. But it wouldn’t hurt to drive it some.just my 2 cents.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #9

Parked

Thanks for the quick replies. I try to get it out on the weekends but the weather has not cooperated. I will just let it idle for a bit this weekend.
I have a company car that I have to use for work so taking it once a week is not an option.
A battery tender is a great idea as well.
Thanks all!
2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L 4:10
2016 Rockwood 2616 VS
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote