Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #11

Thanks for the concerns guys. I would have never left the dealer if I thought the setup I was using was unsafe. At no time did the performance of the rig feel like I was pushing the limits of the TV, and it was pretty gusty the first 100 miles.

There is a fairly beefy WDH with a single sway. My truck wouldn't look like that if it wasn't distributed. The bars are not parallel in that pic because the trailer is not level. About 10 miles into the trip I did have to tighten the sway control some. A second sway bar would have been nice, but it wasn't a problem to stay under control without.

I also won't argue that the tongue weight was more than expected on the trip out, but I managed to compensate it better on the trip back by adjusting gear placement in the trailer and dumping what water was in FW tank.

The unit is a 2012 model and the ship weight is 5104 lbs.
In this pic the trailer weight is estimated around 5300 lbs including what little gear we had. It was probably around 5650 on the way out.
The tow rating of the truck is 6000 lbs with V6 and 7000 lbs with V8. The truck also has air bags installed.

This trailer is not what we intend to purchase. My target is to have something that is ~5000 lbs loaded. Also I would like something that isn't as tall. I would also be investing in a much better hitch setup. I don't think the length was too much, but would prefer not to go longer.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #12

Eluwak: I apologize for getting your post into a towing debate. I should have pm'd my question to you. You have a have nice looking tow vehicle and the trailer you rented is a great floorplan.

Best of luck in your search for the perfect trailer for you and your family.

Again I apologize.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetrey View Post
Eluwak: I apologize for getting your post into a towing debate. I should have pm'd my question to you. You have a have nice looking tow vehicle and the trailer you rented is a great floorplan.

Best of luck in your search for the perfect trailer for you and your family.

Again I apologize.
No worries

Discussion is good. I try to learn something from everyone