Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Mike,
Its important to keep your tongue weight between the recommended 10 and 15% of trailer weight. Redistributing the cargo in your TT in order to reduce the TW will be problematic if you end up with too light a tongue.

IME my current TV/TT combo tows best at 13-14%TW. YMMV but keep it above 10%.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #42
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduff View Post
Great information. I've been concerned about payload with our new 1/2 ton. Lots of tow capacity (for our TT) with the new TV however the plan is to carry two motorcycles that weight in at a combined weight of roughly 900lbs. With the TT tongue weight at roughly 500Lbs, we're creeping up on our payload capacity; understood to be just under 1,700. Are there options on loading the TT to reduce weight in the truck (payload) and keep it off the tongue weight? I've heard loading on the TT axles is an option - truth or myth? Could always offer to ride my bike (in good weather) while the DW drives.
Alot of good info on the following link.

Tow Vehicle Sizing

Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #43

What's up with the new sales pitch "1/2 ton towable"? That bothers me. I can see a lot of RV dealers abusing that. So if you have a 1/2 ton with a V6 you're good to go? Or if you have a crew cab, 4x4, LB loaded with lots of heavy stuff, you are good to go? I can see a lot of 5th and TT buyers buying units way over their ratings because they go by the "1/2 ton towable" listing. Something isn't right here.

I know that this camping season, I will be eyeing people's 5th wheels and TTs more closely to see how many might be overdoing it. I bet it's a lot. Glad the payload topic has been brought up.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #44
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The "1/2 ton pitch" has been going on for the last three or so years. I agree about the oversell of the the product by shall we say ,unscrupulous dealers sales people. We have this discussion all the time here on this forum. That's why it's important for potential truck and RV buyers to be armed with all the knowledge possible when they hit the dealers lot, not after the fact. The wrong match up can lead to some very unsettling and "white knuckle" vacations.

Here's the bottom line. The whole RV industry is begging for alot of Fedaral and local regulation, from mfgr. to dlr. So it's time they clean there act up before it gets to that point.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #45
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sorry, one last thing I would like to say. Not all dealers and Mfgrs are included in this kind of stuff, but the ones that are give the good ones a bad name. Just
my opinion.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #46
Fulltime family RVer

Another link on the subject - something that I wrote a couple of weeks ago after helping my in-laws:
What Can I Tow?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
The "1/2 ton pitch" has been going on for the last three or so years. I agree about the oversell of the the product by shall we say ,unscrupulous dealers sales people. We have this discussion all the time here on this forum. That's why it's important for potential truck and RV buyers to be armed with all the knowledge possible when they hit the dealers lot, not after the fact. The wrong match up can lead to some very unsettling and "white knuckle" vacations.

Here's the bottom line. The whole RV industry is begging for alot of Fedaral and local regulation, from mfgr. to dlr. So it's time they clean there act up before it gets to that point.
its not just that they are unscrupulous, its just that many have no dang idea what they are selling! I make it a point to walk in to purchase something no matter if its a car, television, or trailer after having done thorough research. many times i ask questions just to see if the salesperson is truly educated in the product he sells....if not, then any opinion he offers is just babble....

and on top of that, they tell you your fine to tow pretty much whatever you want (as long as its not cheaper than the original item you were looking at) with no real knowledge of your individual tow vehicle!...and that can be a huge difference in say a base model f150 and a max tow ecoboost....

basically if you already have your truck, then that will dictate which trailer you can purchase......if you already know which trailer you want then buy a truck to match..... you should ask "how much trailer CAN i tow" before you ask say I FOUND A TRAILER..."can i tow it?"

in any case, just post it up here and we will be on it like white on rice!! there are lots of individuals with a phd in "towabilty algorithmic computation" on this board! LOL
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #48
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
Dang turbs you were pulling that with a 6.0 before. I have a 2500hd work truck that has the six speed auto and its a turd with a light load. My tundra could run circles around it. Couldn't imagine putting a 5er on the back of it that big.

yes in fact I was and I was NEVER short of power.
Cat back exhaust
wait4meperformance.com tuned ecm

Ps 200000 miles and used no oil and pulled like a 500 hp peterbilt
Old 04-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
What's up with the new sales pitch "1/2 ton towable"? That bothers me. I can see a lot of RV dealers abusing that. So if you have a 1/2 ton with a V6 you're good to go? Or if you have a crew cab, 4x4, LB loaded with lots of heavy stuff, you are good to go? I can see a lot of 5th and TT buyers buying units way over their ratings because they go by the "1/2 ton towable" listing. Something isn't right here.

Chrysler no longer manufactures a 1/2 p/u truck(maybe the dakota before it was dico'd). they haven't marketed them like that for years as they are no longer a 1/2 ton(10,000lbs tow capable compared to older ones). altho the payload in the 1500 is 1620lbs (tire restricted i am sure)they are marketed as 1500(good), 2500(better) 3500(best) senario etc.The weak point for the Ram 1500 is the pathetic 4 ply goodyears they put on at the factory.
2005 Polaris sportman 500HO (mine)

trailraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraider View Post
The weak point for the Ram 1500 is the pathetic 4 ply goodyears they put on at the factory.
I had a '05 Ram 1500 with the 20" Goodyears and they were rated at 2601 lbs. The other OEM was 265/70/17 Goodyear which is rated at 2535 lbs. You hit the payload limit with GVWR (6650 lb) or RAWR (3900 lb) long before the tire load limits.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote