Old 08-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

Personal experiences towing a +/-6200lb. Travel trailer with an '08 sequoia

I recently returned from a 7200 mile trip with my new to me toyota sequoia and '09 surveyor 235RKS. I thought the performance was quite impressive, I was able to accelerate on every hill or pass I was on except for two occasions (in the south yellowstone area at 9500+ ft. of elevation).

The lowest gear I hit was 3rd(3500-4000rpm), except for the two near Yellowstone. Doing 50mph, it called for second, complied and was revving near 5000rpm. I could stay at 50 mph in 3rd if I didn't care to accelerate (which was O.K. With me!).

I thought that fuel mileage was acceptable (compared to other members mileage - the higher the better IMHO!). The SUV read 10.5mpg (U.S.) and I got 10.67mpg measured.

64 gas receipts, a low of $2.96 a gallon (Claremore OK.) and a high of $4.49 a gallon south of yellowstone. That's leaving Canada out where we paid $4.97 a gallon returning!

I thought the SUV was nicely matched with the trailer, I was quite surprised at some hills in California and New Mexico. If I lived in these states I wouldn't want much more trailer or less SUV!

My trailer is approximately 4650 unloaded (yellow door sticker), at the scales during our trip I had 5380lb. for the trailer axles plus tongue weight of approximately 475lb-before the battery, tanks and stuff we drug along (guessing 800lb.). I do have the axle weights from my truck but only with the trailer on. The wife and kids can only take so much! LOL!

We had a great time with only a broken stove vent fan and belt that went bad on a trailer tire (swapped out with the spare and replaced one evening to pass some time... Just kidding!)

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
B47

You paid $2.96 a gallon in Claremore, OK? When was that - I always found gas to be a bit lower in Tulsa and Claremore is not that far from Tulsa, but I never thought any fuel would be less than $3.00 a gallon any more.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
You paid $2.96 a gallon in Claremore, OK? When was that - I always found gas to be a bit lower in Tulsa and Claremore is not that far from Tulsa, but I never thought any fuel would be less than $3.00 a gallon any more.
July 3. Just checked my receipts! At the quicktrip. I wish gas was that much everywhere all the time!

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
July 3. Just checked my receipts! At the quicktrip. I wish gas was that much everywhere all the time!
Yeah - don't we all.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
I thought the SUV was nicely matched with the trailer, I was quite surprised at some hills in California and New Mexico. If I lived in these states I wouldn't want much more trailer or less SUV!
that's why we tow a HTT with our Avalanche.
people from out of the area, have no clue how many mountains we have, in California.
heck, most of our hills would be mountains in other states.
our Coast Range would seem like the Rockies in Florida or Iowa.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #6

From what I've read, gas is mostly over $5/gallon in Canada. Can't believe $2.96/gallon, that's like winning the lottery!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #7

It's near $1.29 a liter here so that is approx. $5.86 an Imperial gallon or $4.88 a U.S. gallon. Diesel, which I use is $1.17 a liter here or $5.31 an Imperial gallon or $4.42 a U.S. gallon approx. It depends where you're at when getting fuel. The gas prices, here, go up and down like a toilet seat and they say we aren't gouged.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #8

Local news broadcast a recent gas survey had my area the highest in North America, today's low price was $1.39/L with other stations at $1.44/L, have had weeks recently @ $1.51 a litre ($5.80/gal)

Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, trailer, travel, travel trailer