Old 07-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
You pay on your furniture as well?
Holy cow!
What's your state sales tax?
As a Real Estate Tax, yes, but not per se as part of Personal Property Tax. It USED to be (I'm old and remembered it), but not now..........Both are paid to the same place and at same time though. Sometimes Real Estate Tax is part of your escrow if you have a loan, but doesn't have to be. I was just thinking of what I pay to the same guy.

State Sales tax rate is 6.5%, but cities and counties can add so that it's different everywhere........often approaching 10%.

Income tax is sliding scale up to 7%...............and it kicks in fairly early.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #72
DDC

This has been an eye opener, we in Ontario Canada thought we were taxed heavily now I'm not so sure, we pay 13% sales tax on almost everything, but, we are hit by lots of other indirect taxes now that are really difficult to keep track of, we were just dismissing this morning about how water and sewer used to be part of your annual property taxes for your home now we pay about $600.00 a year just for water and sewer plus environmental taxes that go to lord knows where aaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #73
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
This has been an eye opener, we in Ontario Canada thought we were taxed heavily now I'm not so sure, we pay 13% sales tax on almost everything, but, we are hit by lots of other indirect taxes now that are really difficult to keep track of, we were just dismissing this morning about how water and sewer used to be part of your annual property taxes for your home now we pay about $600.00 a year just for water and sewer plus environmental taxes that go to lord knows where aaaaahhhhhhhhhh
Yikes. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
.........I have a 2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.0 SRW. In Virginia, I pay over $2,400.00 per year for personal property tax for this truck. I think this is ridiculous............
It is ridiculous and one of the factors that led us to move from VA to FL. Of course, there are other costs in FL, but overall we pay much less to govt. entities here.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #75

Amazing reading everyone, thanks for all the info. I guess it is like someone said, the gov't gets their money one way or another and it looks like we all pay the taxes some way or another. AND I agree 100% if we paid no taxes then we would have no services. But a close eye on politicians and how they spend our money is needed. I for one am really tired of my tax money being spent on military hardware. When we spend FOUR TIMES what Russia and China spend COMBINED on military stuff. I think we need to cut that back some. How about we just spend DOUBLE what they spend and we could cut our military spending in half. Now there is an idea

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
I for one am really tired of my tax money being spent on military hardware. When we spend FOUR TIMES what Russia and China spend COMBINED on military stuff. I think we need to cut that back some. How about we just spend DOUBLE what they spend and we could cut our military spending in half. Now there is an idea
I don't believe this will have any bearing on how ridiculous the (Fairfax County, VA) personal property taxes are on my truck.

Bruce
Old 07-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I don't believe this will have any bearing on how ridiculous the (Fairfax County, VA) personal property taxes are on my truck.

Bruce

Well you could move to SW Virginia (Henry County) where the PP Tax rate is 48 cents per $100.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #78

Oh but it does my friend. You see when the federal gov't decides that it will pay the states less tax money to pay for infrastructure, schools, and lots of local things ,then these county, state, and municipalities have to raise their revenue through INCREASED fees. Less fed help = higher fees locally, it is quite simple really. This has been the way the gov't works in the past decades. Take student loans for college for instance. Back in 1975 the federal gov't subsidized colleges to the tune of about 70% making tuition much cheaper than today. Today they are invested in helping colleges at only around 35%. So now the colleges still get their money BUT it's from the students and multitudes of them leave school with huge loans at horrible interest rates. So it does affect everything local, county and state. When the feds give u a tax break like under Geo. W. Bush it will cost u lots more with increases in other taxes and fees. Check out just how much fees locally and statewide have increased in the last 15 years, you will be shocked.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
In TN no personal property or income tax. I can't leave, LOL.

Ditto

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
Old 07-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #80

This an incredibly sore topic of conversation at my house. The property taxes here in Connecticut are through the roof! I just paid our taxes last week. Just one more reason I want to get out of this God forsaken state!

$3700 for our last truck and current fifth wheel. It hasn't updated yet to reflect that I just got a new car a couple of months ago and that hubby traded in and got a 2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali. The new bill is expected to be over $6500 (for 2 vehicles and the fifth wheel)!

Add that to the $11,000 per year for property taxes on the house! Yep, we're talking $17,500 in freaking property taxes to live in the state that I refer to as Connecticrap!

In case you are wondering.......Yes, our house is for sale and we want to move to the Carolinas!

2016 Trips:16 Nights:41
2015 Trips:13 Nights:29
2014 Trips:13 Nights:31
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote