Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Master of the obvious

Thumbs up Picked up our new (to us) tow vehicle

After much research, looking, haggling and driving… I bought a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab. The truck has the multi-displacement 5.7 Hemi. I never realized how hard it is to locate a pickup with seating for 6 and balls. Most trucks have center consoles and can only seat 5, I never thought I would buy a Dodge but I have to tell you I am impressed!
2018 Kia Optima Toad
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
CampeRooo

The first day i road in one...back during goose season 03 that was the day i was impressed and convinced too. Riding through the corn fields and the way that it road so smooth through the bumps, i had to get one. But I went with the diesel instead....long story, but it paid off. Congrats on finding that one, good score! Many of those 06's came with the center console in the front...i didn't like that part either when I shopped for my '06. Found one with the middle seat and love it ever since. Enjoy!

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Enjoying Member

The '07 in our picture is a full 6 passenger as well. Only used it twice in almost 3 years but the fold down arm rest center console compartment makes it totally convertible. The ride is amazing for a truck and it does everything we ask it to do. Hauls our toyhauler without issue.

Enjoy your new truck.

Nights Camped: 2013-15 2012-28 2011-16 2010-10 2009-30
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2WD w/trailer pkg 345HP 5.7 Hemi/5spd Auto/3.92 Rear
2008 Wildwood 23FLSRV - Prodigy Brake Controller - BlueOx WD Hitch
2011 Harley Electra-Glide Ultra Limited (His Bike) - 2005 V-Star 650 Classic (Her Bike)
ScottnKimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Captain of Industry

Guys - I have an 05 Ram 1500 2WD with the Hemi and 3.92 gears (which I love). We're considering a fifth wheel that weighs ~6500 dry. The only thing I've towed is a bass boat, so I really don't know what to expect. Any feedback on that weight and how painful it will be to tow? The link below indicates that it has a 9250 capacity, but that's not to say I want to get anywhere near that.
http://www.new-cars.com/2005/dodge/d...er-towing.html

It's just going to be me, the wife and our two little girls in and around Texas, so hopefully not too many hills.

Thanks,
Jeremy
jdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
CampeRooo

Hey Jeremy,
I think you'll be fine since you won't be climbing anything too steep. Around here, with some of our 7% grades, it might cause you some grief, but as long as you have a trani cooler, synthetics in the gear housings, and some patience, everything should work out. I'm pretty sure that you'll see a significant drop in fuel mileage too, probably somewhere around 10-12mpg, but if you're okay with these things, it certainly will be less expensive then trading up to a diesel. The 3.92's will certainly help get things rolling, I think the only thing i would consider (and that is if the bed shows some sagging going on) is to maybe put some airbags to help carry the weight and relieve some of the strain on the u-joints. The electric brakes on the 5th wheel will certainly help slow things down too. It sounds like you have the right combination on the truck, being 2 wheel drive, lower gears, and a decent sized engine. Good luck and hope you find it enjoyable.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote