Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

Picking up an 04 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually tomorrow.

Found this truck on the net. 126K 2 owner. Very clean truck. My question is it has a torque converter locker on it. Not sure what it does. A friend of mine tried to explain it to me but I would like your thoughts.
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #2

I suggest you read on Turbo Diesel Registry.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #3

It was designed as a fuel mileage thing. After you got rolling and cruising along (usually in high gear), the torque converter would electronically lock. Sort of like becoming direct drive. The second you accelerated hard, the torque converter would unlock to allow the RPM's to increase and possibly downshift. The same thing would happen the second you touch the brake pedal. The converter would unlock so as you slowed down, the engine wouldn't stall.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabmwnut View Post
Found this truck on the net. 126K 2 owner. Very clean truck. My question is it has a torque converter locker on it. Not sure what it does. A friend of mine tried to explain it to me but I would like your thoughts.
Some folks install a switch setup to allow them to lock the converter electrically at low speeds to provide better trans cooling. Normally the converter on the 47 or 48RE trans locks up around 46-47 MPH. If it's this type of "lock-up" you need to manually unlock the converter prior to stopping or you'll be in for a surprise. As others have said, research this on Cummins Diesel Forum or Turbo Diesel Register.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Cutty

All I'm gonna say is you lucky dog! I made a comment about diesels and got chewed out..... I guess people don't like it when you wave at them as you pass them going up a hill......... Ha.....Ha
If I'm pulling real hard I take mine out of lock up and put it back in when cruising.... Enjoy!
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, dodge