Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

Pin box

I have posted this in another forum, so if you're a member over there and already commented, thank you. I'm just trying to get as much input as possible.

I am thinking about changing the pin box on my 5er. I have been doing some research on the Demco, Trail Air Rota-flex and Mor-Ryde. What do you have and why do you like it(or why don't you like it)...

I'm not having any issues, just some chucking on concrete highways with expansion joints. Most of the time, she tows very smooth. My 5er is slightly nose high but there is nothing I can do about that. The hitch is at its lowest setting and the pin box can't go up any further due to the top holes on the trailer frame are not usable, so I can't raise the pin box. I have about 6 inches of clearance between the bed rails and 5er so I'm good there.

Thanks in advance...

Dave & Amy
5 kids, 2 with 2 legs, 3 with 4 legs
2016 Columbus 385BH
2016 F350 6.7L PSD CC Lariat DRW
Ford factory puck system with 26.5k hitch
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #2

Dave, on your nose high issue... You could add Lippert's bolt on Correct Track 2 axle alignment system. Yes it's designed to align axles but it also raises your RV 2". I had the same situation on my last RV. Pinbox all the way up and the hitch all the way down. The CT2 system is the only thing to get me level. The best part is it's a Lippert product and won't void your frame warranty...

As to the pinboxes, I run the Reese 5th Airborne. While it doesn't completely eliminate chucking, it helps greatly. I chose it because it's the exact same shape as a Lippert solid steel OEM box and therefor can fit under my factory fiberglass pinbox cover. This makes for a very neat install. On my last rig, I had the now discontinued Trail Air Tri-Glide. Retailers still have them and this is the best system out there for completely removing chucking. The Rota-Flex that replaced it has had some issues and I'm not sure if it's ready for prime time from the reviews I've read. Maybe someone with experience can chime in. The other options you mentioned all have strong followings so I'm sure they are good products as well....

The video in this link shows the complaints of excessive movement I've read about the Flex-Air:

http://s293.photobucket.com/user/crz...5rwfv.mp4.html
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. I thought about raising the trailer with that kit however, measuring from the top of the front bedroom A/C unit to the ground, I am already 13'5' high...don't really want to raise the trailer up any more than it is.

Dave & Amy
5 kids, 2 with 2 legs, 3 with 4 legs
2016 Columbus 385BH
2016 F350 6.7L PSD CC Lariat DRW
Ford factory puck system with 26.5k hitch
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote