Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

pin weight

how does pin weight vs. trailer weight ratio affect the handling of a 5th wheel trailer. Is a 5th wheel with a 15% pin weight to trailer weight OK ?
jeffscuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

My 5th wheel is loaded at 16% pin load.

My truck "wanders" quite a bit and the steering wheel needs constant attention.
If you are used to a car that you can take your hands off the wheel (NOT recommended) and have it go straight, you won't be able to do that with that light of a pin. Constant "sawing" of the steering wheel is tiring and we have reduced our planned "on road" time per day because of it.

I need to rotate my tires regularly for even wear. Before I found out, my front OEM tires were at the wear bars before I saw any wear on my rear tires.
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That's interesting Lou. Our 5W is about the same pin weight %, but I haven't noticed any tendency of the truck to wander with either TV that I've towed it with. I've towed it 11+ hour days on trips to NH and WV without a drama.

The only thing of note is that I encounter some chucking with the F250 that I never had with the Ram 1500. I've tried increasing the pin weight but it seemed no better.
It's brought on by the road surface...move over into the left lane and it's gone.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
That's interesting Lou. Our 5W is about the same pin weight %, but I haven't noticed any tendency of the truck to wander with either TV that I've towed it with. I've towed it 11+ hour days on trips to NH and WV without a drama.

The only thing of note is that I encounter some chucking with the F250 that I never had with the Ram 1500. I've tried increasing the pin weight but it seemed no better.
It's brought on by the road surface...move over into the left lane and it's gone.

Dave
Dave, we are looking at a 2013 rockwood 8280. I have not taken that big step because I have some concerns . The 1st was the trailer handling because of the light pin weight. Another concern is the vacumm bonded floors and roof . We have used our unit about 150 days for the past 2 years. This year will be about the same. The trailer we are looking at has 2 grey tanks with 2 separate drain outlets. one of the outlets is behind the rear wheel under the slide. We move from campground to campground and I don't know how to best deal with this. I would be interested to hear about your likes and dislikes about this trailer .
Thanks Steve
jeffscuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Our 365saq has 5 holding tanks 2 black and 3 grey with the 2 outlets splitting the wheels also. When I pull up to a dumping station, I park the wheels even with the hole and just change the hose from front to back. There has been a time or 2 when someone may be in front of me and I can't pull all the way up, then I'll dump front, pull up, dump rear.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Owner/Operator

Knowing Lou, I'm sure that he has checked, but is the center of the 5th wheel hitch slightly forward of the rear axle?

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffscuda View Post
Dave, we are looking at a 2013 rockwood 8280. I have not taken that big step because I have some concerns . The 1st was the trailer handling because of the light pin weight. Another concern is the vacumm bonded floors and roof . We have used our unit about 150 days for the past 2 years. This year will be about the same. The trailer we are looking at has 2 grey tanks with 2 separate drain outlets. one of the outlets is behind the rear wheel under the slide. We move from campground to campground and I don't know how to best deal with this. I would be interested to hear about your likes and dislikes about this trailer .
Thanks Steve
The light pin weight hasn't been an issue to me. I weighed it on the way home from picking it up in Elkhart and the pinweight was 15% of total. I weighed it again loaded up for the first trip and the pin weight was still 15% of total. With the rear kitchen layout, the weight of the 'stuff' you load in the kitchen offsets the extra weight you've loaded in the basement. Now that I tow with the F250, I intentionally load a little heavier in the front, but it still probably in the 16 - 17% range.

We've camped 146 nights in the camper over the last 3 years and really haven't had any issues. I haven't noticed any soft spots in the floors at all and I'm around 200 lbs. We don't have any slide toppers so I'm on the roof every trip and no issues.

We seldom have full hook-ups but if you do you can change out the sewer cap on the galley tank and replace with one that has a 3/4" hose connection and run that to a 90 adapter that also has a 3/4" hose connection like this... Valterra Angled RV Sewer Hose Adapter

We have been very pleased with the quality and finish of the camper and wouldn't hesitate in buying another Rockwood if there's a floorplan that catches our eye.

Dave

Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

Dave
Now that you know my experience, next time you take it out and bring it up to speed; let up on the steering wheel pressure and see if the nose wants to wander more connected, as not connected.

Be curious to know if it is a problem with my truck.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Now that you know my experience, next time you take it out and bring it up to speed; let up on the steering wheel pressure and see if the nose wants to wander more connected, as not connected.

Be curious to know if it is a problem with my truck.

Yes I'll be looking for that next time out and report back but it won't be 'til May!

Dave

Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

Lou- I think you have a problem, if your alignment is correct, when the rear squats it should increase the caster, and in turn make the "return to center" that much stronger.
-I'm willing to bet money that you have a component failure in the front end. Most of the time when we have problems like yours its either, the tie rod ends, hubs, or ball joints. Hubs and balljoints are much more common.
- Best way to check is to jack one side of the truck up, till the tire is off the ground and take both hands at 6 & 12 and move back and forth. If you notice any movement you may have to have someone else move it while you look to see if the movement is in the balljoint or hub. The tie rods are a little harder to notice but they will show slop with side to side movement.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

I will have my dealer check it out before we head south.
It was just inspected in December and they found nothing.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

That's why I always verify myself.
I worked on a f250 that an alignment shop said needed a steering gear box to take out the side to side movement. Customer brought it in and I put a new gearbox on it. While I was under there looking at it all while another guy cycled the wheel back and forth I noticed that the drag link nut was loose. Yes it even had a castle nut- that when tightend the cotter key never even came in contact with the nut. Needless to say customer payed for a gearbox, install labor, 2alignments now, & all it was that little nut backing off.
Ps. They dealt with the problem for a year or so before doing anything about it.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote