Old 10-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Don't guess. Go to a scale and weigh your truck without the trailer then again with the trailer hooked up, but with only the truck on scale, trailer wheels off. You will then know the actual pin weight.

Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #12

I agree with most of the prior suggestions. I would add that if you decide to go with a marginally overloaded tow vehicle, upgrade the tires to the highest rating you can while still at the same outside diameter, and add air springs. 5th wheels are usually manageable (drive more slowly, exercise more care) even when overweight if tow vehicle suspension doesn't move around.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I don't think the payload deducts 150 pounds for a driver. I think that only applies to the "towing capacity" number that is published. When reading my Ram owners manual, it seemed to imply otherwise. But, that's Ram vs. Ford and I might have misread it. This also becomes a moot point if the OP weighs their setup.
Thats why I put generally. It all depends on how they wanted it to look for the sales brochure, if they needed 150 pounds to cross 2500 pounds, which looks spiffier on a brochure than 2350, then they would have legal bury in "payload excludes driver, fuel, and unwashed dirt."

GM used to say available payload included driver and a tank of fuel, and I've seen other makes do it, but I'm quite sure that's not the rule.

Gotta read that fine print!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Thats why I put generally. It all depends on how they wanted it to look for the sales brochure, if they needed 150 pounds to cross 2500 pounds, which looks spiffier on a brochure than 2350, then they would have legal bury in "payload excludes driver, fuel, and unwashed dirt."

GM used to say available payload included driver and a tank of fuel, and I've seen other makes do it, but I'm quite sure that's not the rule.

Gotta read that fine print!

Gotcha and, yet again, totally agree. I was thinking the sticker on the door jamb. I had previously heard you add 150 lbs. to that (when my manual says otherwise).
Old 10-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #15

Just a Note to RV owners.
I just read a great article in RV Pro Mag. on TRAILER TIRE SPEED RATINGS. All the years in the RV industry and I have never seen this brought up.
Trailer Tires designated as "ST" which we all have on our trailers and fifth wheels are ALL rated at a MAX SPEED OF 65 MPH. They must be kept up to max. PSI to obtain the 65 mph. capacity. Checked this on the net through tire mfrs. and suppliers and it's true. just type in "ST trailer tire speed ratings" Its no wonder we are over run repairing RV's with Blowout Damage. Three brands can go to 75 with 10 lbs, PSI over the max on the tire. (Usually 50 lbs. WHICH IS THE MAX ON THE WHEEL ) So 65 mph has to be the max. There is a tire with an F rating but you have to buy tires and wheels.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #16
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
Just a Note to RV owners.
I just read a great article in RV Pro Mag. on TRAILER TIRE SPEED RATINGS. All the years in the RV industry and I have never seen this brought up.
Trailer Tires designated as "ST" which we all have on our trailers and fifth wheels are ALL rated at a MAX SPEED OF 65 MPH. They must be kept up to max. PSI to obtain the 65 mph. capacity. Checked this on the net through tire mfrs. and suppliers and it's true. just type in "ST trailer tire speed ratings" Its no wonder we are over run repairing RV's with Blowout Damage. Three brands can go to 75 with 10 lbs, PSI over the max on the tire. (Usually 50 lbs. WHICH IS THE MAX ON THE WHEEL ) So 65 mph has to be the max. There is a tire with an F rating but you have to buy tires and wheels.
That's not entirely accurate. Goodyear, Maxxis, and another have speed ratings up to 75mph. Often times, it's coupled with the weight carrying capacity and inflation.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

IMO, only those wanting to have a problem would ever tow an rv over 65mph on ST tires. Talk about UNSAFE towing , that is the ultimate.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #18

As I said in my message several Mfrs. Tires ARE rated at 75 MPH "IF YOU OVERINFLATE THE PSI ON THE TIRE TO 60 PSI "
Problem is most RV rims are rated at 50 lbs. Check your wheel PSI rating before over inflating. Note: many Aluminum wheels are rated higher.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Even with a 3/4t diesel you'd be pushing payload.

Not sure how a 3/4 ton diesel is pushing payload? Where do you get this info from, not in the towing guides that I have seen.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #20
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

After you get your CAT weights you could shave a 100 or so pounds by going to a lighter hitch (Andersen Ultimate is 32# plus your rails,), consider taking out one of the propane tanks, carry the clothes and toys inside behind the axles. Airbags raise the nose but they do add 35#. So just a few small ideas. Lastly, where are you going. If Mountains and distant trips isn't really your plan, you may be fine for weekends at the lake or state parks.

Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, weight, wheel