Old 10-15-2015, 12:32 AM   #21
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
As I said in my message several Mfrs. Tires ARE rated at 75 MPH "IF YOU OVERINFLATE THE PSI ON THE TIRE TO 60 PSI "
Problem is most RV rims are rated at 50 lbs. Check your wheel PSI rating before over inflating. Note: many Aluminum wheels are rated higher.

Sorry, I missed that. But, I can say that my tires were 80 psi and rims rated to 110 psi.

(And, either way- I think this is off-topic for the thread at hand.)

Old 10-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #22

Ditto. Get a 2500 diesel.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, only those wanting to have a problem would ever tow an rv over 65mph on ST tires. Talk about UNSAFE towing , that is the ultimate.
I routinely tow at exactly 68mph. and when conditions are present, I have no problem running 70mph.

55mph can be just as dangerous to the right driver!
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
Not sure how a 3/4 ton diesel is pushing payload? Where do you get this info from, not in the towing guides that I have seen.

2014 ram 2500 diesel crew SB.
Only 2100 lbs payload.
Confirmed on a scale, by myself.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 10-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #25
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Sorry, I missed that. But, I can say that my tires were 80 psi and rims rated to 110 psi.

(And, either way- I think this is off-topic for the thread at hand.)
My factory stock 16" Maxxis Rated E specify 80psi for max load and speed is max at 65mph.
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
...55mph can be just as dangerous to the right driver!
You will have to explain that one to this dumb hillbilly.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #27

Quote:
You will have to explain that one to this dumb hillbilly.
There's a report (From the 60's, but it's still valid.) showing that a vehicle going 15mph slower than traffic is more dangerous than that same vehicle going 15mph faster than traffic.

The theory is that in the example of the vehicle going faster than traffic, it's only one vehicle weaving through traffic, they expect to catch traffic and are prepared to deal with it.

But when one vehicle is going 15mph slower then they become a rolling road block, traffic is now weaving around the slower vehicle, other drivers aren't going to expect that speed differential and may not adequately prepare for it. Sudden hard braking and/or lane changes by those unprepared drivers exacerbate the situation.

It's part of why 45mph minimum speeds were established, but they were also set when 55 was the law. What was 10 under is now 25 under in many areas.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
There's a report (From the 60's, but it's still valid.) showing that a vehicle going 15mph slower than traffic is more dangerous than that same vehicle going 15mph faster than traffic.

The theory is that in the example of the vehicle going faster than traffic, it's only one vehicle weaving through traffic, they expect to catch traffic and are prepared to deal with it.

But when one vehicle is going 15mph slower then they become a rolling road block, traffic is now weaving around the slower vehicle, other drivers aren't going to expect that speed differential and may not adequately prepare for it. Sudden hard braking and/or lane changes by those unprepared drivers exacerbate the situation.

It's part of why 45mph minimum speeds were established, but they were also set when 55 was the law. What was 10 under is now 25 under in many areas.
Can understand it with regular vehicles, but not with an rv which is much larger and easier to see and most folks are very much aware that they don't travel at high speeds. When I see one if I'm not towing, I get over in another lane at least a 1/2 to 1 mile before I get to them. Same with semi's. I also steer clear of rvs going 70 mph knowing they are susceptible to erratic things happening to them at that rate of speed.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #29
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
My factory stock 16" Maxxis Rated E specify 80psi for max load and speed is max at 65mph.
I had the same tires. There was a forum member here who owns a tire shop. He put a dealer inquiry in with Maxxis and they gave guidance that if the tires have a margin in load carrying capacity (ie, they aren't maxed out) that you can increase the speed whilst also losing carrying capacity. It was complex, but basically- if you have extra carrying capacity on the tires, you could go up to 75mph on them.

I'm not proposing or even advocating for going faster- I'm just saying that the standard line of "ST tires are only rated for 65mph" isn't wholly accurate.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #30
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
IMO, only those wanting to have a problem would ever tow an rv over 65mph on ST tires. Talk about UNSAFE towing , that is the ultimate.
UNSAFE how? You caveat it as "on ST tires"-- so, if I put LT tires on my rig, is it safe then? What about commercial trailer tires?

Tags
5th wheel, weight, wheel