Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

Plugging a tire

How hard is it to plug a tire
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

I never plug. I always have them patched from the inside.

To answer your question it isn’t hard at all. They sell kits at Walmart and the local auto stores. Take the tire off , ream the hole, put adhesive on the plug and insert. Easy peasy I just feel patches are safer.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:05 PM   #3

If you can roll the tire to a good spot you wont need to take it off. I do them all time without removing. Just be sure the hole is in the tread area. If close to the sidewall it should be patched from the inside and sometimes better to replace.

Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:05 PM   #4

I did that a few times on my way to work on gas station. You don't need to take your wheel off.
I was back on the road in 10 minutes. I put 40,000 miles on tire and no leaks.
GMCdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:11 PM   #5
Jayhawker

This what I carry in my TV. No need to remove wheel/tire from vehicle. Available at Amazon. Made in USA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	710faXahPxL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	197839  
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:27 PM   #6

Plugged 100's of trailer tires and tractor tires over 25 years of lawn maintenance we also slimed all of the mower tires which slowed or stopped the leak and showed us where to plug.
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Sham183

Ream the hole with the tool and plug it. Not hard at all. When you get to a local tire shop have them patch it the right way.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 PM   #8

I've plugged lots of tires externally with no problems, unless it is remotely close to the sidewall. I picked up a screw once on my truck, it was one tread groove from the edge. I pushed in a plug and hoped for the best, it lasted about a month before the light came on. I knew I would be in the market for new rubber within a year and I just wanted to buy more time, so I plugged it once more but drowned the cord in rubber cement. This one lasted maybe a week longer. There is just too much flex in that area, and when I took it to my tire guy (what, you don't have a tire guy?) he refused to patch it internally due to the location. I respect his call, so I had him swap out that tire with the spare and got a decent used tire to put back on the steel wheel.
Long story short? Location...location...location, just like real estate.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #9

Tire plugs are strongly recommended against by both the tire manufacturers AND many plug manufacturers unless they are used only as a temporary repair.

If you need to plug a tire then at least stop as soon as possible at a tire shop and have them properly repair. The plug can remain, they should just trim off the piece extending inside the tire and add a patch.

Way too many "plug jobs" are done wrong. The reaming tool is often poked straight int the tire when the puncturing object may have been in at an angle. The result is now two holes in the inner liner of the tire and only one plugged. In time the tire separates due to air migrating into the body plies.

As for ATV and Lawn Service tires, neither carry the same load and generate as much heat as a highway service tire. Apples/Oranges.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Tire plugs are strongly recommended against by both the tire manufacturers AND many plug manufacturers unless they are used only as a temporary repair.

If you need to plug a tire then at least stop as soon as possible at a tire shop and have them properly repair. The plug can remain, they should just trim off the piece extending inside the tire and add a patch.

Way too many "plug jobs" are done wrong. The reaming tool is often poked straight int the tire when the puncturing object may have been in at an angle. The result is now two holes in the inner liner of the tire and only one plugged. In time the tire separates due to air migrating into the body plies.

As for ATV and Lawn Service tires, neither carry the same load and generate as much heat as a highway service tire. Apples/Oranges.
I agree on apples/oranges with one exception, my Pace Shadow was 28 feet with 5500lb axles pulling 8000 lbs and we plugged many tires on it with a lot of good luck... Thanks Frank
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
Gold Tee Box

Plugged many back in the day, but also hot patched inside.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #12

I had to granddaughter home, it was dark and found out all my tools were in the camper 80 miles away. Got up this morning and after saying a few bad words I got the tire plugged. I didn’t think I did a real good job so I drove to my local tire shop and they patched the tire inside. First time plugging a tire, not fun
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #13

I have plugged many tires over the years but I also have learned valuable lessons. Plug a tire for emergency issues only. If it is on a Motorcycle (you could die) or a trailer (blowouts severely damage the trailer) replace the tire as soon as possible.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #14

Plugging tires was acceptable years ago, it is not recomended for todays higher pressure tire, especially trailer tires. The standard 'rope type' plug may leak a small amount inside of the tire and actually cause the plys to separate, while it may not show a leak on the outside of the tire
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:34 PM   #15
Site Team

Hey, I need all the naysayers to stay quiet. All I hear is Cha-ching...the sound of money which I do make mucho on with leaking plugs and belt separations.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #16

I agree with those that say for emergencies only. I have a front tire on one of my trucks go flat after a shop plugged the tire. They were instructed to put a patch in the tire, that is what they billed me for. We had a great conversation about when I went back.
If I get a flat or slow leak, I will install my spare and take it to a shop to get properly patched on the inside. If it looks questionable in any way, I will replace the tire.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #17

Plug it to get home and throw the tire away. The one time I plugged a tire, the belts separated a few thousand miles later and the tire flew apart.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I had to granddaughter home, it was dark and found out all my tools were in the camper 80 miles away. Got up this morning and after saying a few bad words I got the tire plugged. I didn’t think I did a real good job so I drove to my local tire shop and they patched the tire inside. First time plugging a tire, not fun
While you don’t have to take the tire off it is much easier. The front tires are easier as you can turn the wheel and get good access. The back tires are harder to get leverage on to get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I agree with those that say for emergencies only. I have a front tire on one of my trucks go flat after a shop plugged the tire. They were instructed to put a patch in the tire, that is what they billed me for. We had a great conversation about when I went back.
If I get a flat or slow leak, I will install my spare and take it to a shop to get properly patched on the inside. If it looks questionable in any way, I will replace the tire.
I always make it a point to keep any compromised tires off of the steering axle. If there is going to be a problem I don’t want it on the steering axle.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
How hard is it to plug a tire

been plugging for over 30 yrs. and NOT for it to be a temporary fix until I can get it patched "properly", ... nope, a good plug job is a permanent fix, at least for me it is, ... some plugging jobs can require a tremendous amount of force to push the plug strip thru the tire tread(yes, even after reaming), ... I've always used a plastic t-handle model until recently, ... had a plugging job that required so much force(even after reaming), ... that, afterwards I realized, IF that plastic handle had broken under that force, I believe I would have pushed the steel stem thru my hand, even though I had on leather gloves, ... soon, thereafter I replace my old reliable plastic t-handle plugging kit with an all metal model, ... just gives me more peace of mind, when doing a job that does have some danger to it, ... the link below is the new all metal kit I got from Amazon, ... have used it several times and love it, it's really a quality kit, ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I52RG0...ing=UTF8&psc=1

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #20

Arb 10000010

For years, every vehicle I have owned has had a tire plug kit, pliers and side cutters stashed somewhere. They are especially handy for my company vehicles where they are driven on construction sites and subject to all sorts of nails, screws, etc. finding their way into the tires. Currently, the kit I have been using is the ARB 10000010 which comes with lots of handy spare parts. I love this kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5D17F97D-0E58-421E-A332-D4C0AC2944C7.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	197915

Bruce

Tags
tire