Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Were your WDH bars ever stolen when left unsecured?
Yes 3 1.69%
No 175 98.31%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
I figured the hitch was more likely to be stolen. When not towing, I always remove my hitch. Yes, even after I unhook at a campground. Pain in the butt, or rather the back, but I haven't gotten around to getting a lock. Also, I prefer it not to drag when I go through dips like leaving parking lots etc.
Back when I still had a TT, it all depended on the plans for the weekend for me. If I was heading somewhere that we were just hanging around the campground for the weekend (like the annual halloween weekend at the local campground) then I'd leave the hitch on the truck. If we're somewhere where I plan to run around (like most of our week-long trips) I'd remove the hitch and store it in the TT's storage cubby. Not so much for theft, but just because it made my already long enough, difficult to find a parking spot in tourist attraction places, Ram a good foot or so longer.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #42

The bars are next to worthless either sold as is without the rest of the setup or as scrap. Everything else mentioned is much more valuable and easier to carry in most cases. Your propane cylinders can walk off just as easy and are actually usable or sellable, batteries similar. Somebody stole the entire out drive off my brother's boat once. The worst thing the boat was parked on a nuclear ballistic missile base! Locks only keep honest people out.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #43

I don't understand in this day and age why anyone would leave weight distribution bars laying on the ground.
Maybe if my trailer was stored on my property. But at a storage facility, everything walks away.
I keep ours in the trailer or in the truck toolbox with the hitch.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh99 View Post
Low life grave robbers stole the brass flower holders three times at the local graveyard where my ex-wife is buried. So I suggested they replace them with plastic ones which they did. The butt holes stole those too!

But back to the topic, I lock them up in the outside storage cubby when not in use. I also have a locking cables on my spare tire, the support thingy for the bottom step of the folding entrance steps and the two cones that mark the corners of my storage yard space.

Yes, I am paranoid. Someone once stole some scrap pieces of lumber I use to support the jack stands under my boat!

There's no hope for human kind.
I bet they chopped up into great kindling 😉
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #45

I leave the bars and hitch under the tongue and have been locking the bars and hitch for 12 years. I figure how much of a PIA if someone would walk off with any of it.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Maybe, but not necessarily...

Often thieves will move on to your neighbor when they see locks on something...

The neighbor who doesn't have locks on their stuff and leaves it out in the open, which makes for a quicker and quieter getaway!

Often theft is a crime of opportunity and not all thieves carry around the proper tools to get through those cables and locks.
so your saying a honest person will break in or steal even if its locked?
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #47

Send a message via Skype™ to Mipo
Not stolen but secure the receiver.

On my small RV I can store the bars in the compartment the receiver is always in the way.
So had a friend solder a peice of receiver tube to the frame of the RV.
And the pictures below.

Mipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #48

Never had a problem with my WD Bars being stolen, I keep them in the back of my truck, but, I talked to a guy that had his WD trailer hitch head stolen off his pickup truck while shopping at WalMart.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #49
Canadian Member

My Equal-i-zer’s bars go in a bag on the floor in the backseat of the truck. The hitch head is kept locked in the receiver for the entire trip everywhere we go. I’ve never had a problem hitting my shins on the hitch head.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #50

At the campground we rarely lock anything, the bars, go on the ground, the propane tanks, battery, bikes, chairs etc. are not locked...... CH 751 compartment keys (which are rarely locked ) Entrance doors are not locked............. outside the campground a different story........ but nothing stolen in 35 years of camping...........

If someone steals something we have great, they must be hard up....... I might get something new

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #51
Pockets

When I get to the campground and unhitch the TT, I remove the hitch and put the ball in the receiver of the A frame and then lock the mechanism. Serves 2 fold. The hitch is safe, and no one can take my trailer. The WDH bars, I leave on the Aframe and the antisway bar, on the battery box. When I store the trailer for the winter, the bars go into the cargo bay.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:31 PM   #52

Stolen

I didn't have the bars stolen - someone stole the hitch part from the back of my truck. My wife went to work at the local YMCA and someone cut my lock off the back of my truck and stole hitch part. It's hard as heck to buy just the hitch unit for an equalizer WDH. The local dealer had to piece different parts from around the shop to make one for me since it comes as a one piece sale item. $400 later and my WDH was useful again. To this day I don't know how they cut the lock pin off my hitch and why would they need that hitch without the bars - probably sold it for scrap metal.
tundraman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #53

WDH Bars Stolen Poll

This is an "attractive nuisance" issue. Why leave a temptation for a needy person to succumb to? All my attachment accessories go either in a compartment or my camper shell. Then I don't have to worry about the 1/1000 or 1/10000 chance of being ripped off and left without needed parts of my rigging.
pkonanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:58 PM   #54
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post

Locks are for honest people and I try to never leave anything out for it to be stolen. I store my bars in the back of my covered pickup bed never leave them out for others to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

Not necessarily...

Often thieves will move on to your neighbor when they see locks on something...

The neighbor who doesn't have locks on their stuff and leaves it out in the open, which makes for a quicker and quieter getaway!

Often theft is a crime of opportunity and not all thieves carry around the proper tools to get through those cables and locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post

so your saying a honest person will break in or steal even if its locked?

and
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:37 AM   #55

I store my bars and hitch in the back of my truck when not camping under a locked hard bed cover. When I get to a camp ground and plan on staying for a few days I remove my hitch and store in my truck bed because I don’t want that big hitch on the back of my truck. I store the bars on the top of my battery box. My do things different if I had to leave the trailer on the side of the road or was in a Walmart parking lot.
RockwoodUL2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #56

No but my friction control swaybar did go missing one evening.
dowend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #57

HDH Bars and other

I been camping since i have been a baby now 67 years old! I can not recall anything ever being stolen while camping! I still camp today and leave many things out around camp while off boating or else where and all has been good! I have even had people who I do not know come over and tilt my canopy when rain hard and i did not think it was going to rain! Oh I am sure it will happen in this day and age, but hasn't yet! Most people that camp that I know work hard for what they have and respect others stuff!
This is a shout out too the good people out there and hay see something specious at another camp site report to park ranger or ask them who they are!
GarFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #58

I haven't, because I secure them in the storage compartment when off the hitch. That has worked for me for like 30 years.
I have a friend who had his hitch taken right off of his truck at the mall one time. No lock.
dlambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Figures. Some real dregs hang out in those commercial parking lots just looking for low hanging fruit. It must have gotten pretty bad at my local Walmart, NOT in an urban area either, for the PD to put up a mobile video monitoring station on a big mast. So that's two thefts so far, both from commercial establishment parking lots.

Yeah my Tow Vehicle a 2006 2500HD Chevy was stolen by my then local Walmart in Chino, CA back in 2015 it was never was recovered
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0626001132.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	191356  
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #60

Nope

On our old TT I stored the bars behind the propane tanks on the A frame - fairly out of site. New TT and TV, they now go under the back seat in the TV when not towing.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote