Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #1

Popups cant use WDH?

I heard this today - from a reputable dealer. I understand that if its all C channel frames, but my 2014 Flagstaff MAC 206st has both full box AND C channel. So I guess my question is, Can I use a Weight distribution hitch? I have full tubes on the V and running down the camper, but c channel from side to side.

I will look in the manual when I get home, but I was hoping to buy a weight distribution hitch while at work. lol.

thanks,
dave
nrg2brn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #2

I'm pretty sure with full box at the V and running the length, you can use/install WDH. And I would think that all but the lightest popups are now built to use WDH. My 2014 Forest River A-frame also has full tube on the V and outer frame, and C on the cross pieces. After a test drive with the camper attached to the Hyundai minivan TV, both dealer and I agreed handling would be far better with WDH and anti-sway. And it is. I love the rig with WDH set up - not so much without.

I would check with the factory to make sure our assumptions are correct. And I would rethink your choice of dealer if they can't get simple info like this right.

The old style C frame on the longitudinal pieces doesn't have enough bend resistance for the WDH to transfer weight off the TV rear axle to TV front axle and a little to the camper axle. Given the desire to give softer rides in V-6 tow vehicles, a WDH becomes pretty desireable (IMHO) once tongue weight gets much above 250 lbs.

Fred W
2008 Hyundai Entourage
2014 FR A122
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #3

I towed a 3000 lbs (loaded) Coleman Mesa popup for 7 seasons with 2 Chrysler minivans and a Reese 400 Single Bar WDH kit. The Coleman manual actually recommended the use of a proper WDH kit, like the Reese mini-350. These 2 kits are designed for small TW trailers (hence the labels). Just don't slap a 10k Equalizer on there and expect things to be OK.

That was from 2003 to around 2009, when the weights of popups were really ballooning. It's when highwall models came on the scene, and it became harder to find a good layout and still keep things under 3500lbs. For a while Coleman was the only one with fully boxed frames on all models, and most others specifically said not to use WDH.

Then some makers started increasing the size of C-channel from 3" to 4". Some of the 4" models would then allow using WDH, and if the manual was silent on the issue, that was the usual advice. Not sure if that still holds today. But I suspect most owners manuals will give you a thumbs up or down these days (?).

I think Equalizer makes a 400 lbs unit these days. A highwall model (4000+ GVWR) would be well-served by the 600 Equalizer. I really liked my 400 Single Bar, but it did require a separate add-on sway controller.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Site Team

not true. Reese makes a WDH specific for popups and other small TTs.

it's quite popular in the popup world. i think it's the Reese Mini-lite.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post

I think Equalizer makes a 400 lbs unit these days. A highwall model (4000+ GVWR) would be well-served by the 600 Equalizer. I really liked my 400 Single Bar, but it did require a separate add-on sway controller.
Equal-i-zer does make a 400 lbs hitch. I looked at it before settling on their 600 lbs unit for my TV/TT.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

As you have figured out, it totally depends in the hitch frame. The older popups and many of the current lighter versions still have c-channel hitch frames. The heavier ones mostly have the fully boxed frame.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
Take The Road Less Travld

Popups cant use WDH?

my 2007 HW 276 popup manual said the warranty would be void of we used a weight distribution hitch. The dealer said they put them on all the time and never had an issue. I didn't think I had much of an issue without it, but after getting my Roo upgrade and feeling the difference in a weight distribution hitch, I wish I would have gone ahead with one in my earlier years. The dealer would have been the ones repairing it anyway

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #8

Any popup with fully boxed frame, including the A-frame and main side rails, I would not hesitate to use a WDH, properly sized for the loaded TW. If it's c-channel, you could be rolling the dice, risking a bent frame.

-If you have c-channel, and your manual says not to use WDH, I would not use it.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop up