Old 03-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #71
2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x2 Lone Star (Big Horn) Hemi 8 spd Auto 3.21 Rear End 140.5" Wheelbase

GVWR 6900
GCWR 13900

GAWR (Front) 3600
GAWR (Rear) 3900

Mfg listed tow rating: 8170

Payload (Yellow Door Sticker) 1490

I added Monroe Load Adjusting Shocks before I bought the camper. With loaded tongue and no WD, my camper levels my truck (see sig) (850+ tongue weight). Great $80 upgrade. No porpoising and tows great with my e2 hitch. I am thinking about adding Tuftruck HD springs TT-1211 designed for towing and going to LT 17" tires. POS OEM Goodyear P-Tires aren't great for towing.

We load as much as possible into the camper and with my family of 4 aboard I am 100lbs under GVWR per CAT scales. Camper came in at 6000 ready to camp. I need to go back to the scales to weigh with camper unhitched as I think my tongue weight is high (Yellow sticker UVW on the camper is 5919)

2015 Wildwood 26TBSS / Fastway e2 1k WDH

2016 Ram 2500 CC 6.4L 4x4
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #72
I'm towing a rockwood 8285 ikws 5er with a Z71 half ton 4 wheel drive with a 6.2 Liter engine and airbags. I have no problems and is very stable. Also getting 12.3 miles to the gallon on the average. Pretty good for everybody I've talked to that a half ton shouldn't do it. Oh and on the scale camper loaded is appox. 8500 lbs. with pin weight of 1400. So the thing is pick the right 5er for your trucks cap. and stick to it. Happy trails!!!

barefooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #73
Originally Posted by ridersfan View Post
Oh, don't worry, there's quite allot to confuse people. The 500 lbs thing isn't in any literature that comes with your truck, and it isn't stamped or stickered either. Then again, I don't think that a GCWR is anywhere either.
Only worried about the '13 when I first got it, that is why I contacted GM engineering. The 2015 I purchased two years later had the same spec on the hitch and in the manual; 800 lbs.

BUT, if you read the manual, there can be some confusions about this statement about 500 lbs max:
"If a cargo carrier is used in the
trailer hitch receiver, choose a
carrier that positions the load as
close to the vehicle as possible.
Make sure the total weight,
including the carrier, is no more than
half of the maximum allowable
tongue weight for the vehicle or
227 kg (500 lb), whichever is less."

But that is only for a hitch carrier that causes some unique torque to the hitch that you will not get with a trailer hitch with a ball.

Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote