Old 01-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
When we had a PUP we forgot to lock the stepper door, drove 100 or so miles before we caught it at a rest stop. That would have been a nasty mess if it had dropped down. Now we each do a once around before we pull away....also always check the lights too.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
We bought our first camper in 2004. It was a pop-up (tent trailer) and the dealer stressed the fact that we had to do a walk around inspection after hooking up the camper. This guy was an old fashioned dealer with great customer service. He stressed the fact that we had to do at the LEAST a two walk around inspection of the hookup and under camper inspection. Check the hitch, electrical harness, brake, brake light and turn signals etc... Well...long story short, we are in the North Carolina mountains, broke camp, headed out of the camp site and something nagged me about not doing the two circuit walk around of the camper. I stopped the truck at the entrance of the campground just prior to getting on the road and did a walk around. I found that I had not engaged the lock on the hitch. The tab was in the up position. Lost the safty pin that locks the hitch in the down position. WOW, stupid me....complacement had set in. I had my son, his best friend and my wife in the truck. I can see me going down the mountain with an unsecured tent camper. Oh, by the way, this tent camper weighed 2,800 lbs. Not a lot but you can see the potential. Now we have a SV 291 and it is a 30 footer with considerably more potential for disaster if I am stupid enough to not do the two time walk around. I double check the hitch, brake and turn signals, e-brakes, and all things I may have left under the camper.
Hope this helps.

Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote