Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Preflight weight and balance - Good or bad method?

I plan on keeping most everything we are taking in the storage cabinets right around the axles. We have plenty of cabinets in the bedroom and entertainment center area, but I just feel that this method will simplify things a bit and also not have me as concerned about adding additional hitch weight by keeping things too far forward. There is hardly any storage in the rear. At most I might toss a few suitcases on the bottom bunk.

Any advice on this? I'm hoping it will make it easier for planning purposes. I don't mind the half hour it will take to get everything in its place when we get there and setup.

Here are a few pics to give an idea on the layout:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6438.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	53816   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6439.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	53817   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6444.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	53818   Click image for larger version

Name:	259BHSS1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	53819  
Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #2

When we go camping, we load it normal, meaning that, the kids clothes go in their back room, our clothes go in our front room, load the kitchen etc. I don't put everything in the middle and all of the weight on the axles, we just load it normal. However, if we go on long trips, we don't carry a lot of food, we usually do a grocery shopping at our destination, we will carry drinks and some snacks but from food perspective, we travel light, everything else is normal.
Attached Images

RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

First of all, I'd leave the suitcases home! Use lightweight, soft bags. Check your pin weight vs what you're allowable pin weight is. This will stir the pot. But, most of us who tow a 36CKTS - who will admit it - are over pin weight. One of the most important issues overlooked by most, is proper tire inflation. Inflate ALL tires to max allowable PSI. Check them cold. Yes, I do that before every trip and reduce them upon arrival. I check them again when they're cold. Ok, I stirred the pot. But I don't care! I KNOW I'm right about this.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Good call on the lightweight bags. And the tires also. Max weight carried is at max pressure on the sidewall. Otherwise you'll end up with some very non-round tires.

Tags
light, weight