Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Glenn5995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 926
As previously stated : There is no benefit unless your engine is designed to use it.

The 5.7L Hemi in my Power Wagon recommends 89 octane for normal driving and premium (high-octane) while towing:

"When pulling a heavy load or driving a fully loaded vehicle when the humidity is low or the temperature is high, use a premium (high-octane) unleaded fuel to help prevent spark knock."

Living in AZ, I tow in low humidity AND high temperatures. When I first purchased my Power Wagon I followed this until someone on another forum said it was not necessary and I was wasting money, so I tried it with the mid-grade 89 I always use (as recommended). Well, the difference was quite noticeable. I had always been able to tow our fifth wheel on 260 on the grade to the top of the Mogollon Rim in 2nd gear. With mid-grade I was down into 1st gear with about a mile to go to reach the top. Back to premium for towing and the next trip (and subsequent ones) I was once again able to keep it in 2nd to the top. This last spring the temperatures were a little cooler and with the price of fuel I again tried mid-grade and again I was down into 1st gear with about a mile to go to reach the top.

I don't know if there was much difference in MPG, but there was a definite improvement in performance.
__________________

__________________

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
dretired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
My last camping trip ...i filled my F150 with E-85 @ $3.09 a gallon drove 110 miles got 10.5 mpg average... i refilled with 89 octane at $3.59 a gallon and averaged 11.5 mpg on the 110 mile return trip
I was going up hill on the way to the campgrounds ..and..back down on the way back home ..so it appears that e-85 @ .50 cents less per gallon.. is my choice ...
__________________

__________________
2014 Crusader 325 TE....2012.. F 250.. Supercab XLT, 4x2 , diesel....days camped 2011 ... 28.... days camped 2012...115 ... days camped 2013...155...2014...171 and counting
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, Illinois
Posts: 49
Octane is like rungs on a ladder. You only need enough to stop pre-ignition, which is ignition before the plug fires. And in every day applications, premium and regular fuel has the same flame speed. Premium does not burn slower, although it does have a tendency to suck your wallet dry faster. In some high mileage engines, a switch to a midgrade fuel is a benefit, YMMV. If the manufacturer recommends regular, switching to premium will not provide any benefit. What will help over the long term is a maintenance dose of a good fuel system cleaner. Gumout Regane, and Redline SI-1 are two premium cleaners full of PEA, the magic stuff that keeps injectors and intake valves clean. And while it's name sounds gimmicky, Marvel Mystery Oil is actually a good fuel supplement. 4 ounces in every ten gallons of fuel keeps the fuel sender in the tank working properly, the fuel pump lubricated, and can minimize deposits on intake valves, and piston tops. I purchased my old TV, a 99 F250 with the 5.4, with 100k on the clock.The fuel sender was sticky, taking forever to indicate full after filling up. I started a mix of 6 ounces of MMO and 6 of SI-1 in every fill up. The sender started working properly, following the fuel level when filling up, and mileage improved over the next 10,000 miles to 17 highway, and 9-10 towing, from 14, 7 when I got it. I did replace plugs and did a general tune up, air filter, fuel filter, all fluids. But the MPG continued to increase over time with the use of those two products. Older two valve Tritons also do very well on Castrol 0w30. I traded it with 149,000 on the clock using no oil over a 4000 mile change interval, and still getting 17 on the highway unloaded.
__________________
Carr, Brenda, Hannah, Callie and Sammy. An F350, a 30WRLTSA, a couple of scooters, and little precious family time. We camp, we ride, we love.
beanoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
Wanna Be Camper
 
SaskCampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
As previously stated : There is no benefit unless your engine is designed to use it.

The 5.7L Hemi in my Power Wagon recommends 89 octane for normal driving and premium (high-octane) while towing:

"When pulling a heavy load or driving a fully loaded vehicle when the humidity is low or the temperature is high, use a premium (high-octane) unleaded fuel to help prevent spark knock."

Living in AZ, I tow in low humidity AND high temperatures. When I first purchased my Power Wagon I followed this until someone on another forum said it was not necessary and I was wasting money, so I tried it with the mid-grade 89 I always use (as recommended). Well, the difference was quite noticeable. I had always been able to tow our fifth wheel on 260 on the grade to the top of the Mogollon Rim in 2nd gear. With mid-grade I was down into 1st gear with about a mile to go to reach the top. Back to premium for towing and the next trip (and subsequent ones) I was once again able to keep it in 2nd to the top. This last spring the temperatures were a little cooler and with the price of fuel I again tried mid-grade and again I was down into 1st gear with about a mile to go to reach the top.

I don't know if there was much difference in MPG, but there was a definite improvement in performance.

I agree Glen,
When we were down to Mt Rushmore last summer and the temps went north of 100, our Hemi pulled much harder on premimum than mid grade. I know our particular hemi is very sensitive to knock and the computer reacts rather harshly when it pulls timing and adds fuel others may not be as bad though. I do have to say I do not mind paying you guys prices for premimum as it is still far cheaper than our regular fuel.
__________________

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
I run premium in my 04 Hemi due to the fact I am running the Superchips with the Tow feature - they say to run 91 or higher
when not towing I run the performance tune which also requires premium.

I have added Headers and a better flowing exhaust - I love the extra it gave but the computer is so tempermental to the mods and the cabin drone is the worst part of it.
Eventually I am stepping into a Diesel but for now I have to deal with it and use it - its paid off and not worth to trade for another truck until it dies.
__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
cstover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Where the USCG sends us.
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired
I was going up hill on the way to the campgrounds ..and..back down on the way back home ..so it appears that e-85 @ .50 cents less per gallon.. is my choice ...
The problem I have with E85 even though it is cheaper, in my Tundra, Toyota says oil changes every 2500 miles using E85 vs 5000 miles using regular gas. So I would save at the pump, but would lose in the long run.
__________________
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
jimh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Charles, La.
Posts: 1,531
octane rating is done on a knock engine. check out this web site for a better explanation on gasoline and knock. look under detonation. it should give u some idea of why u experience knock when u really load the vehicle down.

Detonation or Knock - Thor Racing & Garage Services (Coventry)
__________________
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 96
Since i have the a similar truck, i try to run a tank of premium thru it just before i tow with it to allow for the fuel trims etc to adjust. I am usually always mountain climbing just to get out of town, and one of my most common pulls is sea level to 4500 ft, and i have noticed a considerable improvement with premium vs regular. the VVT seems to work more aggressively with the premium, enough so that i can pull 5th gear alot more often vs 4th on the flats, and on the big hills, i can run 3rd gear half throttle @ 3800 rpm vs 3rd gear almost full throttle. @ 3800 rpm.

Although the MPG are not hugely better, mine definitly feels like it is not working nearly as hard on the long hard pulls on the premium vs regular.

Running the 92 octane with 10% ethanol. (texaco) we do have the 94 octane/0 ethanol in Canada, but it has been over $6 gallon latey
__________________
'07 Toyota Tundra 5.7L DC 4x2
'16 Surveyor 226RBDS
Nights camped 2016 - 3
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
Member
 
Auto4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lanesboro, Ma
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchooker
Since i have the a similar truck, i try to run a tank of premium thru it just before i tow with it to allow for the fuel trims etc to adjust. I am usually always mountain climbing just to get out of town, and one of my most common pulls is sea level to 4500 ft, and i have noticed a considerable improvement with premium vs regular. the VVT seems to work more aggressively with the premium, enough so that i can pull 5th gear alot more often vs 4th on the flats, and on the big hills, i can run 3rd gear half throttle @ 3800 rpm vs 3rd gear almost full throttle. @ 3800 rpm.

Although the MPG are not hugely better, mine definitly feels like it is not working nearly as hard on the long hard pulls on the premium vs regular.

Running the 92 octane with 10% ethanol. (texaco) we do have the 94 octane/0 ethanol in Canada, but it has been over $6 gallon latey
Wow! 6$ a gallon. And I thought $3.65 for premium was expensive.

I have to agree with you on the performance aspect of the premium. Nothing scientific, just a seat of the pants feel I have when using the premium.

On a side note I love my 07 Tundra and it's towing performance. I have towed my TT to Myrtle Beach SC three time from Massachusetts and have no complaints about its performance. I only wish the truck has a bigger gas tank to extend my towing range past 200 miles per tank.

I recently upgraded my tires to a LT e rated Cooper. I have not noticed any changes in tow quality by upgrading the tires. However I now have piece of mind knowing I'm not over loading the tires, unlike the rest of the truck.
__________________
Auto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
M109Rrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstover

The problem I have with E85 even though it is cheaper, in my Tundra, Toyota says oil changes every 2500 miles using E85 vs 5000 miles using regular gas. So I would save at the pump, but would lose in the long run.
Also, e 85 contains less BTU's than gasoline. MPGs will usually be lower.
__________________

__________________

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.