Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #1

Premium Vs Regular Gas

I just finished a trip to Maine. I wanted to see if the price of premium gas was worth the added cost. On my trip there I filled the tank and got 9.5 mpg on the trip up. On my return trip I filled up with regular and Got 8.7 mpg. These numbers were based on the trucks computer.

Truck: 2007 Toyota tundra 4X4 with 5.7 engine
TT. 2011 flagstaff 831 BHDS

Based on these numbers I can't see where the extra cost of the premium is justified. Has anyone else seen better numbers by switching
to premium?

The trip was 400 miles round trip. Do I need to run the premium for more then 200 miles to get better results?
Auto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Consumer reports and car and track and many others say the only reason to
buy premium gas is IF your vehicle maker recommends it in the manual.
If your truck says it's OK with regular that's what you should use.
Premium gas only has extra anti knock ingredients.
If your engine does not knock (ping) you don't need them!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

My last camping trip ...i filled my F150 with E-85 @ $3.09 a gallon drove 110 miles got 10.5 mpg average... i refilled with 89 octane at $3.59 a gallon and averaged 11.5 mpg on the 110 mile return trip
Old 07-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #4

I agree - using premium should not increase your gas mileage. It may give you a bit more pep while towing if the programming on your engine will allow but if you don't need it don't buy it. My Dodge requires mid grade 89 octane which I can usually find for the same price as regular. I will treat it to a tank of premium if I am towing on a hot day though because it burns cooler.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
I will treat it to a tank of premium if I am towing on a hot day though because it burns cooler.
Why? Does your truck over heat in hot weather??
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #6

Premium gas in a lower compression engine that doesn't require it per the OEM is a complete waste of money. Lower octane fuel ignites more easily than higher octane fuel. It is needed in high compression engines because sometimes the heat generated from the compression in the cylinder can ignite the fuel prematurity called pre detonation. Pre detonation (pinging or knocking sound) is very bad for a engine.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
Premium gas in a lower compression engine that doesn't require it per the OEM is a complete waste of money. Lower octane fuel ignites more easily than higher octane fuel. It is needed in high compression engines because sometimes the heat generated from the compression in the cylinder can ignite the fuel prematurity called pre detonation. Pre detonation (pinging or knocking sound) is very bad for a engine.
Thank you. Saved me from typing all that..!! Sooooo many people just do not know this. 87 octane belongs in most gas burners, UNLESS, owners manual says different.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Hopefully this link will work.

Premium vs. Regular | Car Talk

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #9

octane slows the burn reducing ping. it's still an explosion.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
I will treat it to a tank of premium if I am towing on a hot day though because it burns cooler.
Really? That seems very unlikely. Burning cooler would extract less energy. Can you cite any references?

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #11

As previously stated : There is no benefit unless your engine is designed to use it.

The 5.7L Hemi in my Power Wagon recommends 89 octane for normal driving and premium (high-octane) while towing:

"When pulling a heavy load or driving a fully loaded vehicle when the humidity is low or the temperature is high, use a premium (high-octane) unleaded fuel to help prevent spark knock."

Living in AZ, I tow in low humidity AND high temperatures. When I first purchased my Power Wagon I followed this until someone on another forum said it was not necessary and I was wasting money, so I tried it with the mid-grade 89 I always use (as recommended). Well, the difference was quite noticeable. I had always been able to tow our fifth wheel on 260 on the grade to the top of the Mogollon Rim in 2nd gear. With mid-grade I was down into 1st gear with about a mile to go to reach the top. Back to premium for towing and the next trip (and subsequent ones) I was once again able to keep it in 2nd to the top. This last spring the temperatures were a little cooler and with the price of fuel I again tried mid-grade and again I was down into 1st gear with about a mile to go to reach the top.

I don't know if there was much difference in MPG, but there was a definite improvement in performance.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
My last camping trip ...i filled my F150 with E-85 @ $3.09 a gallon drove 110 miles got 10.5 mpg average... i refilled with 89 octane at $3.59 a gallon and averaged 11.5 mpg on the 110 mile return trip
I was going up hill on the way to the campgrounds ..and..back down on the way back home ..so it appears that e-85 @ .50 cents less per gallon.. is my choice ...
Old 07-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #13

Octane is like rungs on a ladder. You only need enough to stop pre-ignition, which is ignition before the plug fires. And in every day applications, premium and regular fuel has the same flame speed. Premium does not burn slower, although it does have a tendency to suck your wallet dry faster. In some high mileage engines, a switch to a midgrade fuel is a benefit, YMMV. If the manufacturer recommends regular, switching to premium will not provide any benefit. What will help over the long term is a maintenance dose of a good fuel system cleaner. Gumout Regane, and Redline SI-1 are two premium cleaners full of PEA, the magic stuff that keeps injectors and intake valves clean. And while it's name sounds gimmicky, Marvel Mystery Oil is actually a good fuel supplement. 4 ounces in every ten gallons of fuel keeps the fuel sender in the tank working properly, the fuel pump lubricated, and can minimize deposits on intake valves, and piston tops. I purchased my old TV, a 99 F250 with the 5.4, with 100k on the clock.The fuel sender was sticky, taking forever to indicate full after filling up. I started a mix of 6 ounces of MMO and 6 of SI-1 in every fill up. The sender started working properly, following the fuel level when filling up, and mileage improved over the next 10,000 miles to 17 highway, and 9-10 towing, from 14, 7 when I got it. I did replace plugs and did a general tune up, air filter, fuel filter, all fluids. But the MPG continued to increase over time with the use of those two products. Older two valve Tritons also do very well on Castrol 0w30. I traded it with 149,000 on the clock using no oil over a 4000 mile change interval, and still getting 17 on the highway unloaded.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
As previously stated : There is no benefit unless your engine is designed to use it.

The 5.7L Hemi in my Power Wagon recommends 89 octane for normal driving and premium (high-octane) while towing:

"When pulling a heavy load or driving a fully loaded vehicle when the humidity is low or the temperature is high, use a premium (high-octane) unleaded fuel to help prevent spark knock."

Living in AZ, I tow in low humidity AND high temperatures. When I first purchased my Power Wagon I followed this until someone on another forum said it was not necessary and I was wasting money, so I tried it with the mid-grade 89 I always use (as recommended). Well, the difference was quite noticeable. I had always been able to tow our fifth wheel on 260 on the grade to the top of the Mogollon Rim in 2nd gear. With mid-grade I was down into 1st gear with about a mile to go to reach the top. Back to premium for towing and the next trip (and subsequent ones) I was once again able to keep it in 2nd to the top. This last spring the temperatures were a little cooler and with the price of fuel I again tried mid-grade and again I was down into 1st gear with about a mile to go to reach the top.

I don't know if there was much difference in MPG, but there was a definite improvement in performance.

I agree Glen,
When we were down to Mt Rushmore last summer and the temps went north of 100, our Hemi pulled much harder on premimum than mid grade. I know our particular hemi is very sensitive to knock and the computer reacts rather harshly when it pulls timing and adds fuel others may not be as bad though. I do have to say I do not mind paying you guys prices for premimum as it is still far cheaper than our regular fuel.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #15

I run premium in my 04 Hemi due to the fact I am running the Superchips with the Tow feature - they say to run 91 or higher
when not towing I run the performance tune which also requires premium.

I have added Headers and a better flowing exhaust - I love the extra it gave but the computer is so tempermental to the mods and the cabin drone is the worst part of it.
Eventually I am stepping into a Diesel but for now I have to deal with it and use it - its paid off and not worth to trade for another truck until it dies.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired
I was going up hill on the way to the campgrounds ..and..back down on the way back home ..so it appears that e-85 @ .50 cents less per gallon.. is my choice ...
The problem I have with E85 even though it is cheaper, in my Tundra, Toyota says oil changes every 2500 miles using E85 vs 5000 miles using regular gas. So I would save at the pump, but would lose in the long run.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #17

octane rating is done on a knock engine. check out this web site for a better explanation on gasoline and knock. look under detonation. it should give u some idea of why u experience knock when u really load the vehicle down.

Detonation or Knock - Thor Racing & Garage Services (Coventry)
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #18

Since i have the a similar truck, i try to run a tank of premium thru it just before i tow with it to allow for the fuel trims etc to adjust. I am usually always mountain climbing just to get out of town, and one of my most common pulls is sea level to 4500 ft, and i have noticed a considerable improvement with premium vs regular. the VVT seems to work more aggressively with the premium, enough so that i can pull 5th gear alot more often vs 4th on the flats, and on the big hills, i can run 3rd gear half throttle @ 3800 rpm vs 3rd gear almost full throttle. @ 3800 rpm.

Although the MPG are not hugely better, mine definitly feels like it is not working nearly as hard on the long hard pulls on the premium vs regular.

Running the 92 octane with 10% ethanol. (texaco) we do have the 94 octane/0 ethanol in Canada, but it has been over $6 gallon latey
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchooker
Since i have the a similar truck, i try to run a tank of premium thru it just before i tow with it to allow for the fuel trims etc to adjust. I am usually always mountain climbing just to get out of town, and one of my most common pulls is sea level to 4500 ft, and i have noticed a considerable improvement with premium vs regular. the VVT seems to work more aggressively with the premium, enough so that i can pull 5th gear alot more often vs 4th on the flats, and on the big hills, i can run 3rd gear half throttle @ 3800 rpm vs 3rd gear almost full throttle. @ 3800 rpm.

Although the MPG are not hugely better, mine definitly feels like it is not working nearly as hard on the long hard pulls on the premium vs regular.

Running the 92 octane with 10% ethanol. (texaco) we do have the 94 octane/0 ethanol in Canada, but it has been over $6 gallon latey
Wow! 6$ a gallon. And I thought $3.65 for premium was expensive.

I have to agree with you on the performance aspect of the premium. Nothing scientific, just a seat of the pants feel I have when using the premium.

On a side note I love my 07 Tundra and it's towing performance. I have towed my TT to Myrtle Beach SC three time from Massachusetts and have no complaints about its performance. I only wish the truck has a bigger gas tank to extend my towing range past 200 miles per tank.

I recently upgraded my tires to a LT e rated Cooper. I have not noticed any changes in tow quality by upgrading the tires. However I now have piece of mind knowing I'm not over loading the tires, unlike the rest of the truck.
Auto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstover

The problem I have with E85 even though it is cheaper, in my Tundra, Toyota says oil changes every 2500 miles using E85 vs 5000 miles using regular gas. So I would save at the pump, but would lose in the long run.
Also, e 85 contains less BTU's than gasoline. MPGs will usually be lower.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote