Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #1

Pro-Pride hitch help

I installed my Pro-Pride hitch last week and got a chance to test it out this weekend. First off, I have to say WOW! I have never had a trailer stay so rock solid in my life. I was even able to take a little more weight off the tongue (probably down to only 5-7%) and she still stayed right behind me and didn't sway a bit.. even on a stretch of highway that is known to be a wind tunnel at all times. Even my mother-in-law behind me said that the trailer never once moved an inch side to side. I am extremely impressed with it.

I have no issues at all hooking up like many reviews say (maybe it's thanks to the camera). I actually think it's easier than the standard ball. The issue I have is with unhooking. With everything being a fixed mount, I cannot seem to find the 'sweet spot' where the weight is off of the TV but also not lifting up on the TV either. Can anyone give some pointers or tricks to unhooking? The site next to me gave me really funny looks when I pulled out and there was a slight bang from the hitch finally popping loose. I'm not sure if maybe it's just because the powder-coating is causing the hitch to stick, or what, but it seems to be a major PITA to unhook... Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
klarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

I found it best to release the pressure from the bars until the swung freely. I then ran the jack up until I seen the receiver move within the hitch on the truck itself. I would then again make sure the bars were swinging freely. If they weren't it would put a bind on the stinger and hold it in.

I actually sort of timed how long i had to run the jack up and down through the many times of using the hitch. Seemed like to me it took 15 seconds to run my jack to lower the tongue till the truck accepted the load by itself and the foot of the jack kicked loose... So to unhook i always counted off 15 seconds after the jack foot hit the ground and it had me very close... I hope that made some sort of sense...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #3

I put an extremely light coat of grease on the hitch bar "wedges". This seems to help in uncoupling.

Then make sure the spring bars are loose by adjusting weight distribution jacks. They should move freely.

Then as you crank your jack up/down as required to take the weight off of TV, watch where the trailer coupler connects to the propride hitch. At some point you will see movement between the coupler and hitch. This is the point were the weight should be off of the TV. It is not much movement, but enough that you can see it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
IllinoisCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

Ok. That movement is what I was going by so it must just be the wedges aren't worn in yet and are sticking. I'll try a little grease and see if it helps.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
DDC

I have a Hensley and use a yard stick with a preset mark of 14", works great.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #6

I tried using the coupler to judge when the weight was off with little success. Watching the stinger at the receiver is much easier to see for me. I'll also add that I had issues getting the stinger to release constantly until I finally lubed it. Now it slides out freely with no sound or binding. I use Amsoil HD metal protector which dries to a wax-like consistency and isn't messy.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #7

Yea, I may try that Amsoil. I tried watching the stinger at the receiver, but with the powder-coat, it's too tight to actually see it move. I've really been hesitant on using grease because that was a big plus I liked about the ProPride... no grease to destroy my clothes... haha. I messaged Sean and ProPride and he said that the powder-coating does tend to cause it to stick until it wears down a bit. Either way, that little bit of extra work to unhook is well worth the multiple positives on this hitch.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #8

I unhook then pull up a inch or two then raise or lower the trailer a little to find the sweet spot. It seems to work. I do use the grease it's a mess though.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I have a Hensley and use a yard stick with a preset mark of 14", works great.
I'm going to try this next time!!
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #10
Dad of 2 teenagers...

Measure the ground height of your truck's receiver when not hooked up. To unhitch, you will need to release the pressure of the WD jacks and then crank your jack to the height previously measured. You should come out freely.

If on uneven turf, crank to height you think is about right then move truck 1/2 inch fwd. Then go back and adjust height as you should visibly see if you are too high or too low.
2015 Wildwood 261BHXL
2010 Mercedes-Benz ML350 Bluetec
ProPride 3P Hitch
BobBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #11

I measured the distance from the top of my rear tire to the bottom of the fender well with out the trailer hooked up. Then when I went to unhook I'd run my front jack down until the measurement was the same as when it wasn't hooked up. Worked every time

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #12

I'm going to try some Amsoil HD and see if greasing it helps. I have a feeling my issue is more with the powder-coating then it is finding the sweet spot. I had my wife video tape my last unhook so I could see what the hitch did, and it didn't seem to 'jump' or fall so I think it's just sticking heavily because of the coating. I'll try out some of these ideas as well. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarowe View Post
I'm going to try some Amsoil HD and see if greasing it helps. I have a feeling my issue is more with the powder-coating then it is finding the sweet spot. I had my wife video tape my last unhook so I could see what the hitch did, and it didn't seem to 'jump' or fall so I think it's just sticking heavily because of the coating. I'll try out some of these ideas as well. Thanks for the help!

That's exactly what mine was doing. I could have it perfect with no tension and it still would stick. You'll be happy with it once you apply the Amsoil HD.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #14

I use Vaseline. It's not quite as bad as grease, but gets the job done.
LSUTiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch