Old 06-03-2015, 07:31 AM   #1

problems connecting to my WDH

Hey folks. I'm a relative newbie with trailers, etc. We bought a brand new 2015 26DBH Grey Wolf Limited back in March and have taken it out a couple times already. We absolutely love it...

But the one problem I consistently have is connecting to my WDH. I know I must be doing something wrong, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.

Every time I go to connect the trailer to the truck, I have to struggle with the bars to connect them both at the same chain length. Also, when I do get the bars on and the chains connected, sometimes it feels like I should have connected them on a higher link because there's still just the slightest bit of sagging on the truck. But there's generally no way I could connect any higher. There is just to much pressure for me to lift the bar/chain any higher...either that, or when I go to raise the lift bracket, the chain will slide off because I cant seat it deep enough on the connector.

I think I'm following all the step correctly. I connect the trailer to the ball, lock it and raise the truck a few inches. Then I start connecting the bars, chains, etc.

I hope this all makes sense.

And, I hope someone out there can tell me what mistake I'm making. I know it's probably something small and obvious, but I just cant figure it out.

Thanks in advance!!
-Matt

Trailer: 2015 26DBH Grey Wolf Limited
Truck: 2013 F-150 XLT

Old 06-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

While connected lift the unit (Higher) chains will connect (Very Easy)! Youroo!! Also it is (VERY Important) to ALSO raise the Unit to the SAME Height when (REMOVING the Bars) many People are (Hurt/Injured/Scared to Hell) by improperly using the Bars!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #3

Matt; If you have to struggle to connect the chains then you have raise your truck a little more before connecting the chains. Try it, you"l like it.
Warren.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #4

See... I knew it would be something simple.

I've been lifting once connecting to the hitch ball, but clearly not enough. I'll raise it more next time, and I'm sure that will fix it.

Thanks, guys!!

BTW... I love this forum!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

I pull a 2014 Grey Wolf 28BH with a '13 F150 4x4 XTR... So overall a pretty comparable setup.

I am using a bar-style WDH instead of chain connected, but the idea is the same; and when I'm hooking up, I have to lift the truck and trailer pretty high to get everything lined up and connected properly.

I agree with Happy - try lifting more before setting your chains...

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #6

Right. I keep threatening myself to get an electric jack, so I don't have to work as hard to lift up-down-up-down. But I just can't bring myself the spend the money.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:20 AM   #7
Site Team

The weight distribution hitch does just that ; It distributes the weight more evenly between the front and the back of the vehicle. It does not magically take the wight off the TV so you should expect some amount of squatting when you connect. The key is that is should be close to even between the front and the back of the TV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude1980 View Post
Every time I go to connect the trailer to the truck, I have to struggle with the bars to connect them both at the same chain length.
This is normal if you are hitching up on uneven ground. Even a crown in the road can cause this.
Quote:
Also, when I do get the bars on and the chains connected, sometimes it feels like I should have connected them on a higher link because there's still just the slightest bit of sagging on the truck.
This is normal also. The WDH doesn't prevent all sag. Half-tons are sprung so the springs are progressive. If the initial load of the tongue weight didn't cause sag, the spring pressure would be so high you couldn't stand to drive the truck unloaded.
Quote:
I think I'm following all the step correctly. I connect the trailer to the ball, lock it and raise the truck a few inches. Then I start connecting the bars, chains, etc.
You are doing everything correctly and there is nothing wrong with your rig. Go have fun.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #9

Raise up ass end of your TV some more. Even when you think "Wow...that's a lot"...keep raising it! Then put your bars on...should go on easy.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
2015 Flagstaff Shamrock 21DK -sold
2016 Grey Wolf 29BH
skidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
tjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
This is normal if you are hitching up on uneven ground. Even a crown in the road can cause this.

The area I park the trailer at home puts the truck on even ground when hitching/unhitching. So I will usually pull it out onto the street before connecting the weight distribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk