Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #1

Prodigy 90250 Brake controller advice please!

When I initially connected the unit, it is successfully paired to my vehicle. However the flashing “not connected” message is coming up on the handheld unit. When I unhook/disconnect the vehicle from the unit, connect it up to another vehicle to test it ( A Mercedes SUV or Subaru) Somehow this resets the unit and it then works in those other vehicles. I then connect back up to my vehicle, and the “not connected” light stays away, connects, allowing me to continue with functioning perfectly.

Next time I unhook the RPod, it happens again! I have to repeat/reset with another vehicle every time I hook up. Any ideas why this is happening and what the fix is? My vehicle is a Hyundai Santa Fe 2017 Ultimate model.

Wires are brand new, connections are perfect.

Thanks very much
Wlshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:42 PM   #2

I know on my 2018 Nissan frontier it makes a difference if I start the truck with foot on brake or off the brake on the P3 even without a trailer connected. If I start it with foot off the brake it will immediately flash "no trailer connected". If I have my foot on the brake it acts like there is a trailer connected and sends a brake voltage to wiring harness. I'm not much help with your problem, but you might try experimenting to see if you can find a work-around.
mxtreme30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Just so I understand what you're seeing. The handheld is showing "n.c." is that correct?

I'd say that there's something in the vehicle that's interfering with the RF signal or there's actually a wiring issue with the tow vehicle and/or the RV.

That error message has quite a list of possible causes;
1. Power Module not connected to tow vehicle.
2. Trailer connector disconnected or corroded.
3. Key off or Loss of Battery Power from tow vehicle.
4. Trailer connected with open circuit on the brake line.
5. Loss of trailer brake magnet ground.
6. Loss of RF Communications, signal or interference.
7. Unit not paired or improperly paired.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Just so I understand what you're seeing. The handheld is showing "n.c." is that correct?

I'd say that there's something in the vehicle that's interfering with the RF signal or there's actually a wiring issue with the tow vehicle and/or the RV.

That error message has quite a list of possible causes;
1. Power Module not connected to tow vehicle.
2. Trailer connector disconnected or corroded.
3. Key off or Loss of Battery Power from tow vehicle.
4. Trailer connected with open circuit on the brake line.
5. Loss of trailer brake magnet ground.
6. Loss of RF Communications, signal or interference.
7. Unit not paired or improperly paired.
Bluetooth can be great, when it works correctly. When it doesn't it makes one wonder if it wasn't just simpler to use the "Old School" hard wired device(s). Wiring can take less time and be less trouble than all the hours needed to diagnose and (maybe) correct the BT issues.

I've come to believe that "Bluetooth" is of the "opposite sex". It has what seems to be "cyclic moods".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. And yes “NC” does not show after I disconnect the break controller and reconnect it again
Wlshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Bluetooth can be great, when it works correctly. When it doesn't it makes one wonder if it wasn't just simpler to use the "Old School" hard wired device(s). Wiring can take less time and be less trouble than all the hours needed to diagnose and (maybe) correct the BT issues.

I've come to believe that "Bluetooth" is of the "opposite sex". It has what seems to be "cyclic moods".
Blah, blah, blah, shame on you for trying what you thought would work better than you. Blah, blah, blah, hindsight is 20-20. Blah, blah, blah, I prefer trolling instead of helping.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Blah, blah, blah, shame on you for trying what you thought would work better than you. Blah, blah, blah, hindsight is 20-20. Blah, blah, blah, I prefer trolling instead of helping.

Sorry you took offense at my pointing out the obvious.

Do some reading on Bluetooth and it will be obvious that it's temperamental.

It uses a frequency (band) that is used by all kinds of interference like Wifi, Microwaves, all kinds of scientific and industrial equipment etc.

When one is having problems with a bluetooth device not remaining connected look around for interference. Can be their own home wifi router, a wifi "extender", neighbors microwave, and countless other devices.

It's also limited to extremely short ranges (like 30 feet on average). If one has a couple of people nearby with Smartphones and bluetooth headsets, more interference.

Best method I've found to clear up bluetooth issues with my devices (Solar controller and battery monitor) is to just start over. Unpair devices, shut down control device, restart device and start setup from the beginning.

Bluetooth uses extremely low power RF signals for communication and also "channel hops" as it's transferring data. ANY interference can interrupt the smooth flow of data packets and the end result is lots of frustration by users..

FWIW, a known issue with bluetooth type brake controllers.

As for suggesting that the OP use something different? Sorry, I was just musing about how, in our quest for something "simple" we end up with things often more complicated and troublesome.

FWIW, think about how many sources of electronic interference we find in today's vehicles. Got a new vehicle with wifi hotspot incorporated into it's "infotainment center"? How about "Onstar"? All the computers that control engine, transmission, and various body systems like heat, A/C, etc?

Now add passengers with bluetooth headphones and smartphones with both Wifi and Bluetooth "Radios" installed.

Last but not least to the OP, make sure the 7-wire connector "plugs" have clean contacts. They are the most neglected electrical connections in any tor vehicle-trailer combination. They get soaked with rain water, snow melt (loaded with melting chemicals) and just allowed to hang in the elements when not used. Take a few moments and carefully clean contacts and if really corroded, consider replacing. The fact it works with different trailers to me would be a clue as the plugs are different.

As for your comment=========== Whatever!

Old 11-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #8
Site Team

I agree Mike. I'm fine with using Bluetooth with my cordless headphones but I'm would NEVER rely on it for operating my trailer brakes. I would require a wired BC.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I agree Mike. I'm fine with using Bluetooth with my cordless headphones but I'm would NEVER rely on it for operating my trailer brakes. I would require a wired BC.
The prodigy wireless looks a lot better, as a system, than others like the Curt Echo. Not only is it relying on wireless tech, the accelerometers are mounted in the adapter that plugs into the 7Wire receptacle. Any movement of the adapter caused by a loose receptacle or swinging cable causes the brakes to "self apply". Add that to the loss of communication with smartphone due to interference and it's made for a bunch of less than happy people.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #10

I wasn't aware that the Prodigy unit even used Bluetooth at all. I know the Curt one does but I thought this unit used its own proprietary RF interface.

BTW...the controller still will still function if it loses connection with the handheld unit. The last settings are stored in the controller. You just don't have manual control of the unit.

Another BTW for the OP. If your power to your 7 pin connector goes away with the vehicle off or for other reasons, you will get the NC on the handheld unit.

To me, it's not an RF issue but a powering up issue between the power of the handheld unit and the 7 pin connector not happening as the OP thinks it should/is.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I wasn't aware that the Prodigy unit even used Bluetooth at all. I know the Curt one does but I thought this unit used its own proprietary RF interface.

BTW...the controller still will still function if it loses connection with the handheld unit. The last settings are stored in the controller. You just don't have manual control of the unit.

Another BTW for the OP. If your power to your 7 pin connector goes away with the vehicle off or for other reasons, you will get the NC on the handheld unit.

To me, it's not an RF issue but a powering up issue between the power of the handheld unit and the 7 pin connector not happening as the OP thinks it should/is.
True not specifically "bluetooth" but not necessarily a proprietary frequency either. Tekonsha is using a public frequency up around 3200mhz which is also used by government.

Side note on frequency usage and issues with other devices popular with RV'ers, TPMS devices can share frequencies with things like wireless temperature sensors, etc.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #12

I didn't say proprietary frequency... proprietary interface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
True not specifically "bluetooth" but not necessarily a proprietary frequency either. Tekonsha is using a public frequency up around 3200mhz which is also used by government.

Side note on frequency usage and issues with other devices popular with RV'ers, TPMS devices can share frequencies with things like wireless temperature sensors, etc.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlshman View Post
Thanks for the advice. And yes “NC” does not show after I disconnect the break controller and reconnect it again
Sorry this has become a bumping match. I figure that you already bought the unit and instead of telling you that it's no good and that you should have bought something else, I figured I'd try to help getting it working as well as possible.

If you're still around, it sounds like the controller maybe isn't seeing the connection until you unhook and rehook it to the tow vehicle. If that's the case, I'd try to clean the 7-way plug and receptacle and see if that helps any.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #14

I would NEVER,,,NEVER,,,NEVER,,use ANY wireless device to control the brakes in lets say an 8000lb or more,,,or less trailer. You just might kill someone one day. Sorry,,just MY opinion.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
I would NEVER,,,NEVER,,,NEVER,,use ANY wireless device to control the brakes in lets say an 8000lb or more,,,or less trailer. You just might kill someone one day. Sorry,,just MY opinion.
The controller works whether it has connection with the remote in the cab or not. Once the controller has its settings, it autonomous from the remote in the cab.

These type controllers are perfect for vehicles that don't have the blue wire from the dash to the rear of the car. Also if the trailer is used by multiple tow vehicles that don't have controllers in them.

The wireless aspect is pretty insignificant. The controller functions are mounted on the trailer.

Tags
controller