Old 09-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #1

Prodigy braking problems

I tow 2011 Rockwood 2304s with a 2006 Toyota tundra dc i have prodigy brake controller always worked fine till last trip when i noticed my tt would not do much breaking to help my truck evan if i turned .the controller all the way up.I jack up all the wheels today and adjusted all the brakes they were all fine i connected the truck had my wife step on the brake pedal they worked but i could still turn the wheels very little brake pressure .But if i hit the tt brake lever on prodigy it locks the wheels up.I notice if i step on the brake pedal when standing still with the tt hooked up prodigy reads 00 if i back of the brake pedal a bit it goes up to 2.0 that's it is that normal cause iam not moving

Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #2

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

Contact - Tekonsha

I have heard others say that thier tech department is very good to work with.

Bill

Air Lift 5000
Prodigy Brake Controller

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #3

I had a Prodigy problem..

..once before. Exactly as you described.

First, when you aren't moving there is no inertia for the Prodigy to sense thus only a few volts go to the brakes when the brakes are applied.

Now onto the problem, check for a good clean connection on the 7 pin plug. I found that I had some loose connections inside the female plug. I would guess you have the same problem. Once home you reconnected the plug and all is well. For now. Simply clean the connections and get some electrical connection grease and bend the pins -gently- and all will be well. As a side note, before I fixed the problem, my P3 would flash occasionallly that there was "no trailer attached" or "error" or something like that.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The Prodigy has three levels of boost. Did you accidentally turn the boost off?

And even when not moving, the Prodigy will lock wheels. Hold the hand control all the way over, and it will read out the voltage going to the brakes. The manual says to start with 10 volts, and adjust as needed.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #5

tt brake problems

I have a 2011 rockwood 2304s towed by my 2006 toyota tundra dc with a prodigy brake controller.Today i hooked up my trailer and did more testing.With the prodigy set to max on p3 truck and tt on gravelwith tt brake pushed to max only left rear wheel would lock thats one out of 4.Driving down the road with prodigy maxed out again i hit tt brakes and it just slows gradually also it seems the left wheels brake alot stronger than the right.Cananyone tell me if i should be able to lock all 4 wheels with the tt brake on the prodigy driving down the road.The tt has only been towed about 2000 miles since new.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Site Team

In a perfect world, you would ideally be able to lock all 4 wheels on gravel (IMO). But more commonly (for me), I can lock one axle or the other at normal settings. I always hypothesize that it is because the axle loads aren't identical; even with a pretty level trailer.

I had exactly your situation this summer. So, I bit the bullet and went under the trailer. Jacked up one side at a time (with jack stands!) pulled the plug on the back side of the drum, used a brake adjusting tool ($3) to adjust the brakes to make better contact. Made a big difference.

There are threads on the forum about adjusting brakes if you do a search. Good luck!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

4runner, I merged your new thread on to this one, since it is still the same problem. By starting a new thread, you it make hard for others to follow along what all the steps have been suggested and what you have been through,

As for your problem. it is time to go under the trailer and measure the voltage going in to the brakes. Could be broken wires, bad splices, but you won't know till you verify you can get 10 volts or so on the brakes, which should lock the wheels, even on asphalt. I can lock mine at 6 volts.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote