Old 09-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #1

Prodigy P2 braking question...

Hello all. I have a new 2016 Roo 183, towing with a 2014 Explorer Sport using a Prodigy P2 brake controller.

During setup of the brake controller, you are supposed to incrementally increase the Prodigy output power to the point where the trailer brakes lock up and then back it down.

My trailer brakes never get to that point, even at max output power from the controller. I can definitely feel the brakes work, but they never lock up. I called Prodigy and the tech guy said that it sounds like my trailer brakes need to be adjusted for more stopping power.

Currently, I have the Prodigy set at maximum when I tow and I don't feel like I need more braking power when stopping.

Bottom line, should I get the trailer brakes looked at/adjusted or just call it good with my current settings?

Thanks all

ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #2

You should have the brakes checked. When I got my trailer the brakes were not adjusted correct, there was too much movement before they made contact with the drum. It is very easy to adjust the brakes yourself you can google how to do it.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
You should have the brakes checked. When I got my trailer the brakes were not adjusted correct, there was too much movement before they made contact with the drum. It is very easy to adjust the brakes yourself you can google how to do it.
I was doubting that they would need adjustment since it is brand new, but you're right. It is easy enough that I might as well check them anyway (when I have a chance...easier said than done). Thanks!
Old 09-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcobra93 View Post
Hello all. I have a new 2016 Roo 183, towing with a 2014 Explorer Sport using a Prodigy P2 brake controller.

During setup of the brake controller, you are supposed to incrementally increase the Prodigy output power to the point where the trailer brakes lock up and then back it down.

My trailer brakes never get to that point, even at max output power from the controller. I can definitely feel the brakes work, but they never lock up. I called Prodigy and the tech guy said that it sounds like my trailer brakes need to be adjusted for more stopping power.

Currently, I have the Prodigy set at maximum when I tow and I don't feel like I need more braking power when stopping.

Bottom line, should I get the trailer brakes looked at/adjusted or just call it good with my current settings?

Thanks all

Are you testing the brakes by sliding the manual lever at 25 mph to lock it up?
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #5

Yes, I followed the setup procedure per the instructions. The controller is at its max setting (13 or 14, can't recall). When I slide the manual lever, I can feel the trailer brakes engage (quite hard), but not enough to lock up the tires.

I actually left work early this afternoon and checked the trailer brakes. They seem to be adjusted properly.

I have one more (planned) towing trip this season. I'll be revisiting this issue in the spring.
It seems to me that the brakes are just not strong enough to actually lock up the tires at the highest controller setting.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:10 AM   #6

We have had our Prod. 2 thru 2 trailers now, Keystone 25 4700# and a Forrest River 26 5700#, unit works great on both, had lockup on both when setting it up.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

Does sound like the brakes just need adjusting. On our Prodigy (don't use it any more), I had to crank it up on the highway and then reduce it down to almost zero on surface streets or stopping was jerky. To adjust the brakes, the auto parts place should have a brake adjuster (looks sort of like a funky bent screwdriver) or you can use a screwdriver, just a bit more cumbersome. Raise one side up (one or both tires) so you can spin the tires. On the backing plate of the brake there should be an slotted opening with rounded ends, probably with a rubber dust plug. Pry out the plug and you'll see some teeth inside - that's the star adjuster. You click it using the tool, either up or down, to tighten and loosen the brakes inside the drum. Crank it out until you hear the brakes start to scrape on the inside of the drum, then back it off a couple of clicks and make sure it no longer scrapes. Repeat for each wheel and be sure to put the dust plugs back in. A lot of brakes will adjust themselves when you back up with the trailer but that can be a bit of a problem unless you have a large parking lot to do it in.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #8

Thanks conceptumator. The trailer brakes are adjusted correctly, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I'm not having any issues with the brake feel. They engage smoothly at any speed.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcobra93 View Post
Yes, I followed the setup procedure per the instructions. The controller is at its max setting (13 or 14, can't recall). When I slide the manual lever, I can feel the trailer brakes engage (quite hard), but not enough to lock up the tires.

I actually left work early this afternoon and checked the trailer brakes. They seem to be adjusted properly.

I have one more (planned) towing trip this season. I'll be revisiting this issue in the spring.
It seems to me that the brakes are just not strong enough to actually lock up the tires at the highest controller setting.
My prodigy 3 says that brakes only should lock up at 25mph not at 40 or 50 or 70 no way you would be out of control then!
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky1243 View Post
My prodigy 3 says that brakes only should lock up at 25mph not at 40 or 50 or 70 no way you would be out of control then!
Correct