Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #1

Prodigy stops working after only 2,000 miles

So, I go to hook up the trailer today for the first run with new(to me) tv. The prodigy p2 reads " N C " I than check all my connections. About an hour or so later as I remove the controller from the holder it has a reading surprise!! I than realize when I squeeze the controller it works.

I have two chooses at this point drive down the road with the DW squeezing the controller. Probable not a good idea. So I run to auto zone and buy a cheapie from the shelf. But it works and no stress on the DW.

The prodigy worked great from this point on the other tv and an earlier light test on this one, very disappointed. It was recommended by most forum members, the dealer and even a lot of people I spoke two.

Not going to go with another prodigy
Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #2

Either you damaged the unit during the move to the new TV, or you are the 1 in 10,000 who got a defective unit. Either explanation is hardly a reason to move to an inferior performing controller. If it's time delay, please do not drive behind me!

Did you even try contacting Tekonsha? For their good name, and investigation, they probably would have swapped out another unit, for the opportunity to troubleshoot yours.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #3

What type of Tow vehicle - I had a similar issue - it was not the brake controller - it was wiring --- I was getting a feed back loop when I applied the brakes on the truck - when I used the override switch all was good - The truck has separate turn signal and brake lights & there is a module on the frame which converts the inputs for the trailer. The trailer brake controller uses the truck brake line for power the module took the individual inputs from brakes and turn signals and sent them to the trailer which uses the same wire for turn signals and brakes, this had a short -- net result no brakes when I used the pedal --- brakes when I used the override Several hours with schematics and now all is good. The short story is if the controller was good, it should still be good - check the TV or have a trailer shop check for you then decide.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

When the OP said "squeeze the controller", I took that to mean literally squeezing the plastic casing, as if to make some internal connection that had come loose.

If the OP meant that "squeeze the controller" is actually applying the manual apply lever, then sreddy is certainly correct, and there is nothing wrong with this controller.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #5

First of all my apologies to all the prodigy lovers out there. My comments were more out of anger and venting. As far as damaging it during the move I guess I could have but I actually only moved it 5 feet from one vehicle to another. I purchased a additional quick release holster from them for this purpose, they do sell this style of mounting for that reason. Oh and by the way both vehicles were dodge so I never removed the wires from the controller.

When I said squeeze I meant literally squeeze the whole controller, so yes there is probably an internal connection problem.

The cheapie controller I purchased is actually a proportional one made by Hopkins and it wasn't so cheap at $100.

I do plan on contacting the manufacturer about a replacement after all the is a lifetime warranty. But you must understand the frustration when something as important as a brake controller fails
As soon as you are about to hit the road. Even if they send me a brand new one next day air I would have still had to get a replacement to get on the road.

Bottom line makes you kinda loose confidence in a product that's all!!!!

Thank God I was at home and
Not at some rest stop 1200 miles from it.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
daydreaming about camping

unfortunately everything mechanical or electrical has a failure rate. It sucks that you were holding the winning (or in this case losing) ticket. Let us know how they treat on replacement. I, like others have had great luck with Prodigy.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #7

Makes me wonder what the typical lifespan is. I started using my Prodigy (not the P2 nor P3) brand new in spring 2003. In it's 11th season, and working like day 1. Maybe I'll start a poll.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Makes me wonder what the typical lifespan is. I started using my Prodigy (not the P2 nor P3) brand new in spring 2003. In it's 11th season, and working like day 1. Maybe I'll start a poll.
This thread has me wondering the same thing, I have a hopkins impulse that must be at least twelve years old but still does it's job well.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #9

I switched from a Voyager brake box to the Prodigy P3 when I got my FW this year. I love it works great easy to adjust I tow a dump trailer at times great for quick fine adjustments.
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote