Old 02-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #21

That is what prayers are about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
Praying is a waste of time. Apply moderate force with the manual trailer brakes. As long as the trailer tires have traction, it will stop the sway in an instant (assuming you're not talking about a hurricane and the like).

As a young adult in a pinch one time, I pulled my enclosed car trailer with a sandrail in it with a 1985 Toyota 4x4. It was WAY more trailer than that little truck was designed for (and did not have a trailer brake controller). At one point in a slight decline on the Interstate the trailer started swaying badly. To this day I am not sure how/why I didnt wind up on my side. This happened right before my exit and as I was stopped at the intersection a couple people pulled up beside me and applauded. Not really sure if it was the good kind or the bad kind. I never have and never will put myself in a position like that again.
God mostly answers prayers before we ask...you just experienced one of those.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #22

Sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
So I'm not asking how to avoid sway. I know you need the right TV, know your weights, know your distribution of said weights, properly inflated tires, properly adjust wdh etc. I'm asking, if for whatever reason someone was in an event that causes the trailer to sway drastically, what are the proper steps to straightening out your trailer? Obviously slowing down, but do you slow the TV? Brake hard? Use the trailer's brakes? Which is it?
When I was towing my trailer one time, I hit a dip in the road on a corner, and the trailer yanked my Super Crew Cab F150 clear over into the other lane. Since then, I found a product made by Timbren that is an extended axle stop that looks like a round billows, which rides either just above or right on your axle. They act as rear end stabilizers and overloads on your truck...now I am on my third vehicle using them, and they work better than anything to add stability and stop trailer sway, and even motorhome sway and bounce (I've moved to a Solera MH).

Old 02-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #23

sway

Just like tractor trailer, the trolley brake is applied, which is the trailer brake is only applied not the power unit. this will bring the unit back to the correct position
Old 02-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #24

Sway

You apply the trailer brakes never apply TV brakes until sway has completely stopped, the vehicles will automatically slow down when you let off the gas unless going down a mountain
Old 02-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #25

Years ago my wife and I were moving. We each had a uhaul behind us. No brakes and no doubt overloaded. Just before we left on a 1500 mile trip I read the information given me by uhaul. They advised if the trailer began to sway take your foot off the gas and don't touch the brakes allowing the vehicle to slow gradually without making turns of the wheel to try to control it. I told my wife what I had read.

About 400 miles into the trip on I-40 I came over the crest of a hill to see a large object that looked like a telephone pole lying across both lanes. I resisted the urge to hit the brakes. I would not stop in time. As it turned out the object was a length of plastic drain field pipe. I went over it without incident. My wife had no warning as the pipe flew out from under my trailer. She swerved to miss it. I thought she would die that day. I looked in the mirror to see her car and trailer swaying violently back and forth across the interstate. I thought for sure it would all flip. Amazingly, slowly the car straightened out and she got control again. When we stopped I asked her how she managed it. She said she did exactly as I had told her before we left. Sure glad I read the info that could have as easily been tossed into the glove compartment unread. That's my experience. Her britches were dry and unsoiled to boot. Not sure that would have been the case if it had been me.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #26

We were returning to Texas from work in Colorado towing our Ultralite 2604 with an F-150. My wife was following in her Kia. I didn't have sway control. I got hit with a strong wind gust from the right and the rodeo was on. I touched the trailer brake to straighten out while touching the gas pedal. It pulled straight again. Then a stronger gust hit me while a truck was passing. Almost put me in the ditch. I got straightened out again and we pulled into a Walmart parking lot To collect what was left of our nerves. It was scary. But we made it to our destinations by turning into the wind and staying on the back roads.
2015: 18 days; 2016: 21 days; 2017: 16 days (so far)
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:16 PM   #27

Sounds like some of ya need to go shopping for a "truck"
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #28

If your 150 gets out of shape the nanny state will take control. . .

https://youtu.be/cVlXlbU38zA
Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 PM   #29

madmax. Look's like a good idea for the right setup. That was a big truck towing a small trailer. Whether it makes a difference in trailer/truck size I don't know.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Sounds like some of ya need to go shopping for a "truck"
I sold that F150 some years ago and bought a Chevy Tahoe with the heavy tow package. That bad boy has integrated sway control. Now, no more problems!

Tags
sway, vent