Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
thebrakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 1,105
This is why I always use boost mode b1 on the expressway.
Can't remember if this was already mentioned, but the Tekonsha brake controllers have you covered here. By using any of the boost modes, the trailer will always lead the braking event, by applying some percentage of max braking the instant that you even touch the brakes:
b0 - No trailer braking until decal is detected.
b1 - As soon as pedal is touched (brake light comes on), 13% of set max voltage is applied. When more than 13% is required, proportional braking takes over.
b2 - ....25%....
b3 - ....25%....and additional braking is more aggressive.

So, if you are on b1, b2, or b3, keep your foot on the gas, and just touch the brake pedal with left foot. Chances are, the 13-25% that is instantly applied will bring the trailer back in line. This lets you keep both hands on the wheel.
__________________

__________________
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #52
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
This is why I always use boost mode b1 on the expressway.
Can't remember if this was already mentioned, but the Tekonsha brake controllers have you covered here. By using any of the boost modes, the trailer will always lead the braking event, by applying some percentage of max braking the instant that you even touch the brakes:
b0 - No trailer braking until decal is detected.
b1 - As soon as pedal is touched (brake light comes on), 13% of set max voltage is applied. When more than 13% is required, proportional braking takes over.
b2 - ....25%....
b3 - ....25%....and additional braking is more aggressive.

So, if you are on b1, b2, or b3, keep your foot on the gas, and just touch the brake pedal with left foot. Chances are, the 13-25% that is instantly applied will bring the trailer back in line. This lets you keep both hands on the wheel.
That's good info, but it brings up another question. I'm not knowledgeable at all about Ford, Chevy or Tundra operation but with the Ram Hemi if you leave your foot pressing on the gas pedal and simultaneously apply brake pedal pressure the engine will go to idle after about 3-4 (don't remember exact number) seconds. Hopefully the sway condition should be corrected before that happens. When that situation occurs there will be an error message on the EVIC screen. The throttle will return to normal operation within one second of releasing brake pressure. Cummins diesel operation----don't know. Y'all will have to test that.
__________________

__________________
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
thebrakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 1,105
+1 for the aftermarket controllers!!! (sorry, I couldn't resist, my friend )

But joking aside:
By 3-4 seconds, the condition will have been corrected. If not, I think an idle condition will be the least of your concerns, as you will most likely be in the ditch.
__________________
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #54
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
+1 for the aftermarket controllers!!! (sorry, I couldn't resist, my friend )

But joking aside:
By 3-4 seconds, the condition will have been corrected. If not, I think an idle condition will be the least of your concerns, as you will most likely be in the ditch.
Agreed on the being in the ditch statement. However, even with an aftermarket controller you will get the same idle condition result. The truck computer thingy is only seeing simultaneous input from the brake and throttle pedals. The brake controller, either factory or aftermarket, is not going to see any info from the throttle.
__________________
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
thebrakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 1,105
Gotcha. So either way, it shouldn't happen, since there is no need to hold both pedals for that long. Within 1-2 second, the sway event will be under control, and you should release the throttle.
__________________
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #56
Usually Confused Member
 
emm-dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Gotcha. So either way, it shouldn't happen, since there is no need to hold both pedals for that long. Within 1-2 second, the sway event will be under control, and you should release the throttle.
Looks like we're finally in agreement. He$$ is freezing over.
__________________
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:36 AM   #57
Just a member
 
kandl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cool Pool, AB
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hold on,PRAY,Accelerate/while hitting the manual Trailer brakes,then if still in control, Slowly slow down! Youroo!!
The "Accelerate" part may not be possible with many late model pickmeups etc. Many tow capable vehicles built in the last six or so yrs have traction control systems that incorporate anti sway logic. When engaged, and without operator input, the engine will unload and the brake system will apply braking to alternate wheels to counteract the sway. Other than that that niggly detail, your suggested course of action is bang on.
__________________

__________________
Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sway, vent

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.