Old 02-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #51

This is why I always use boost mode b1 on the expressway.
Can't remember if this was already mentioned, but the Tekonsha brake controllers have you covered here. By using any of the boost modes, the trailer will always lead the braking event, by applying some percentage of max braking the instant that you even touch the brakes:
b0 - No trailer braking until decal is detected.
b1 - As soon as pedal is touched (brake light comes on), 13% of set max voltage is applied. When more than 13% is required, proportional braking takes over.
b2 - ....25%....
b3 - ....25%....and additional braking is more aggressive.

So, if you are on b1, b2, or b3, keep your foot on the gas, and just touch the brake pedal with left foot. Chances are, the 13-25% that is instantly applied will bring the trailer back in line. This lets you keep both hands on the wheel.

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #52
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
This is why I always use boost mode b1 on the expressway.
Can't remember if this was already mentioned, but the Tekonsha brake controllers have you covered here. By using any of the boost modes, the trailer will always lead the braking event, by applying some percentage of max braking the instant that you even touch the brakes:
b0 - No trailer braking until decal is detected.
b1 - As soon as pedal is touched (brake light comes on), 13% of set max voltage is applied. When more than 13% is required, proportional braking takes over.
b2 - ....25%....
b3 - ....25%....and additional braking is more aggressive.

So, if you are on b1, b2, or b3, keep your foot on the gas, and just touch the brake pedal with left foot. Chances are, the 13-25% that is instantly applied will bring the trailer back in line. This lets you keep both hands on the wheel.
That's good info, but it brings up another question. I'm not knowledgeable at all about Ford, Chevy or Tundra operation but with the Ram Hemi if you leave your foot pressing on the gas pedal and simultaneously apply brake pedal pressure the engine will go to idle after about 3-4 (don't remember exact number) seconds. Hopefully the sway condition should be corrected before that happens. When that situation occurs there will be an error message on the EVIC screen. The throttle will return to normal operation within one second of releasing brake pressure. Cummins diesel operation----don't know. Y'all will have to test that.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #53

+1 for the aftermarket controllers!!! (sorry, I couldn't resist, my friend )

But joking aside:
By 3-4 seconds, the condition will have been corrected. If not, I think an idle condition will be the least of your concerns, as you will most likely be in the ditch.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #54
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
+1 for the aftermarket controllers!!! (sorry, I couldn't resist, my friend )

But joking aside:
By 3-4 seconds, the condition will have been corrected. If not, I think an idle condition will be the least of your concerns, as you will most likely be in the ditch.
Agreed on the being in the ditch statement. However, even with an aftermarket controller you will get the same idle condition result. The truck computer thingy is only seeing simultaneous input from the brake and throttle pedals. The brake controller, either factory or aftermarket, is not going to see any info from the throttle.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #55

Gotcha. So either way, it shouldn't happen, since there is no need to hold both pedals for that long. Within 1-2 second, the sway event will be under control, and you should release the throttle.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #56
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Gotcha. So either way, it shouldn't happen, since there is no need to hold both pedals for that long. Within 1-2 second, the sway event will be under control, and you should release the throttle.
Looks like we're finally in agreement. He$$ is freezing over.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:36 AM   #57
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hold on,PRAY,Accelerate/while hitting the manual Trailer brakes,then if still in control, Slowly slow down! Youroo!!
The "Accelerate" part may not be possible with many late model pickmeups etc. Many tow capable vehicles built in the last six or so yrs have traction control systems that incorporate anti sway logic. When engaged, and without operator input, the engine will unload and the brake system will apply braking to alternate wheels to counteract the sway. Other than that that niggly detail, your suggested course of action is bang on.

)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway, vent