Old 04-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrageek View Post
For the Reese DC, do people recommend the round bar or trunnion style? I don't see much difference in usage or price but wondered if one was preferred over the other.
The round bars seem to be the best bet for lighter trailers that have the coupler on top of the trailer frame. I think the trunnion style square bars work better for heavier trailers that have the coupler mounted to the bottom of the tongue frame. There can be some rub problems with the square bars between the spring bar and the cam yoke with trailers that have the coupler mounted on top of the tongue frame........I know, I had that problem with my setup. I now use a ball that has a 1" raise and had to go with 7 links of chain between the snap up bracket and the cam to alleviate the problem.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #12

I understand people putting additional safety margins on total trailer weight, but never heard that applied to TW. A cushion on trailer weight is useful becuase that affects driving dynamics like stopping distance, etc. But TW is just to be sure you are not overloading the truck's suspension, stop or go. And the WDH will properly distribute that load between the 4 axles.

I think you are overthinking this. You have plenty of cushion.

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #13

brakeman, you're probably right on margin in tongue weight. It was what I got from the calculator Scott linked to earlier. It would be good to have margin everywhere, but like you say it probably isn't as important as the basic weight.

mtnguy, sounds like I should do the round bars. My current WD hitch is a Eaz-lift with the round bar setup. I wonder if the reese DC bars would just fit into my Eaz-lift head unit and I could save some money on that.... I'll have to do more research.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #14

We pull a 2304s with about the same weights I think our tongue weight is more with a 2003 expy with equalizer setup and we could not be happier. Expy never feels like it struggles and we never have sway problems even in windy Oklahoma.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #15

Thanks Don. I'm glad to hear that the Exp can do well with a trailer of that size. I like the idea of sticking with the ~100lb area for eq+sway and I've been debating between Equalizer and Reese DC. I'm leaning toward Equalizer and my dealership has been steering me in that direction too (although I'm going to do the install myself as I'm too picky for dealership installs :-)). I'm glad to hear it's working well for you even in windy places.

Thanks,
Bret
Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Bret - take a look at the installation manual for the Equal-i-zer. You might need to borrow some tools if you install yourself. I know I did - a really big torque wrench from my neighborhood mechanic.

BTW - I highly encouraging doing it yourself, too. Best way to learn how the system works.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #17

Thanks Scott. I actually am the neighboorhood mechanic :-). One of my other hobbies is a car I've put together over the past 9 years so I have the large torque wrench. The problem will be the large but thin walled socket for the ball. I could buy one for silly money, but last time I did this I went to autozone and then just did it for me so I'll go with that plan again.

I completely agree that the best way to learn is to do the install and setup. I'm also too meticulous to trust the dealership to install it for me (especially as they've already admitted that it's the new guy stuck working Saturdays when I'm picking up the trailer :-)).
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #18

I just ordered a 1000lb Equalizer from RVwholesalers.com. They had it for under $450 with free shipping just in case anyone else is lurking and wants to take advantage of the deal.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

RVW almost always has the best price for the Equal-i-zer.

You might want to order the bracket jacket, too. I really like these. I ran for a long time without them and put them on last year. Nice and quiet.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #20

Interesting. Maybe I should've ordered a set but I didn't even know they existed. I take it that fit between the spring bar and the L bracket to reduct the noise and wear on rubbing?

There is a warning that talks about reduced friction and therefore reduced sway control. Have you noticed any detremental affects to your sway control?