Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

ProPride 3P Hitch

I ordered the ProPride 3P Hitch last week. Before ordering, I wrote Sean Woodruff, asking an extensive list of questions. He answered all my questions (and at length). Before the actual order was made, I called him. He is as every bit knowledgeable, nice, and cooperative as what I have read throughout many posts (including this forum) over the past month. I believe this man would answer questions relevant to hitches, sway, etc. for someone interested in the subject without the benefit of a sale. Once I made my mind up to make a purchase, it was a pleasant buying experience.

When I receive the ProPride 3P and install, I will provide an update as to how it went. I will document and take photographs. The real adventure will come when I get to take a road trip to compare the performance and handling of my current hitch setup to the ProPride 3P Hitch.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I look forward to reading about and seeing the pics of your install. Have always heard great things about the 3P.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Good luck with the new hitch. I also pm'd Sean and like you said, he seems very nice to deal with, can't ask for better. I think If the price was much less, it would be an easy decision to purchase one. That is the only factor that makes people look for alternatives. For me, its around 3g's to get to Canada. Campdohbrew, how heavy is your trailer, tongue, etc. and are you towing with a half-ton? My tt is a 31bdss by North Trail. My tv is a 2012 f150 eco max tow. It won't be in for another 3 weeks, so i'm waiting to get it before I make any purchases.
saskrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskrick View Post
Good luck with the new hitch. I also pm'd Sean and like you said, he seems very nice to deal with, can't ask for better. I think If the price was much less, it would be an easy decision to purchase one. That is the only factor that makes people look for alternatives. For me, its around 3g's to get to Canada. Campdohbrew, how heavy is your trailer, tongue, etc. and are you towing with a half-ton? My tt is a 31bdss by North Trail. My tv is a 2012 f150 eco max tow. It won't be in for another 3 weeks, so i'm waiting to get it before I make any purchases.
My trailer is new and I have only towed it twice which were: (1) when I purchased it and (2) a short camping trip to check it. I have not weighed it yet, but according to the manufacturer the dry hitch weight is 815 pounds and the GVWR is 8450 pounds. My tow vehicle is a 2011 haft-ton Chevy Silverado Crew Cab. When I take it to the scales, I will provide you with the exact measurement.

In addition from ordering the ProPride 3P, I also ordered the Sherline Travel Tongue Weight Scale. I ordered it from ProPride at the same time I placed the order for the hitch. Here is picture taken from the website. I ordered it so I could monitor the tongue weight more readily.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by campdohbrew View Post
In addition from ordering the ProPride 3P, I also ordered the Sherline Travel Tongue Weight Scale.
I also have the Sherline.....it works good, but not great. I have found that you need to move the tongue around a bit so the needle will settle out. Just to put the weight on the scale will result in a low weight. Once you move the tongue a little, it seems to get things out of bind and all is good.

Also, it is best if you get the Sherline that has your expected weight in the middle of the gauge, where it is most accurate. Since you have a listed weight of 814 lbs., that is probably going to be around 900 to 1000 lbs. camping ready, so the Sherline 2000 lb. max might be the best bet. Either the 1000 or the 2000 would have worked for me, as my tongue weight is 680 lbs.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #6

mtnguy,

I ordered the 2000 pound capacity for the reason you stated. Once I get the scale, I would like to take some measurements with the current hitch setup, with the ProPride Hitch, and without any hitch installed for comparisons.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

I would really like to have a 3P as well, just cannot seem to want to part with the $$$

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #8

You will find the 3P hitch lives up to its reputation and for me worth every dollar. My tongue weight is 1100 lbs and trailer fully loaded at about 8500 lbs. I ordered the 1400 lbs hitch bars and its working properly and "no sway".
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
mtnguy,

I ordered the 2000 pound capacity for the reason you stated. Once I get the scale, I would like to take some measurements with the current hitch setup, with the ProPride Hitch, and without any hitch installed for comparisons.
I don't exactly understand how you would do the measurements with the hitch installed. As far as I know, the Sherline would only measure the tongue weight. The tongue weight doesn't change with a WDH, but the ProPride distributes the tongue weight to the trailer axles and the TV front axle, so you kinda have an "adjusted" amount of weight on your TV.....the amount that the trailer axles would increase.....if that makes sense. In other words, if you have an 800 lb. tongue weight, that does not change using the WDH, but the ProPride might put an additional 150 lbs on the trailer axle, put maybe 200 lbs. on the TV front axle, and take those 350 lbs. off of the rear axle.....but you still have an 800 lb. tongue weight.

Let me know your ideas on how you might do the measurements....I am interested.....always learning new things here.

BTW, I responded to your PM.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #10

Mtnguy,

I meant before the ProPride is installed on the trailer and after the ProPride is installed on the trailer as weighing relates to the Sherline. I did not mean to include the current setup as that would be impractical with the Sherline since the current setup does not remain with the trailer. In addition to using the Sherline, I want to take the trailer to the scales for weighing so I can obtain a complete assessment. I should have clarified and I do apologize.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Mtnguy,

I meant before the ProPride is installed on the trailer and after the ProPride is installed on the trailer as weighing relates to the Sherline. I did not mean to include the current setup as that would be impractical with the Sherline since the current setup does not remain with the trailer. In addition to using the Sherline, I want to take the trailer to the scales for weighing so I can obtain a complete assessment. I should have clarified and I do apologize.
Ah, so you will be seeing how much the ProPride adds to the tongue weight....I see now. A follow trip to the scales is always an excellent idea.