Old 10-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
fx2

I've never towed with a ProPride but will say I never experienced anything like you're describing when I was towing with my F150 and my 36 ft trailer. I also never had to drop the bars to reverse. I would second that it seems something was off with the set up.

Most importantly you are now comfortable towing your TT and that really is the most important thing! Glad to hear its working out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 10-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #12

Thank you.

BTW, dropping the bars was a preference to avoid fighting the resistance they would add when I needed to turn into a spot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Nights camped: 2015 (4) as of 5/25 2014 (44) 2013 (26)
ProPride Review
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #13

Nice Review. Had my ProPride 4 seasons now and love it. There was a short learning curve to connecting the stinger to the head unit but that is long gone now. Cruising down the I5 at 60-70 mph is not an issue.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I'm glad the ProPride is working out.

In defense of Equal-I-zer, most sway issues are due to the hitch not being setup properly. I have owned two. The current one is used to tow a 35' trailer. Just an hour ago we encountered 35-40 mph side winds outside of Asheville NC. No sway pulling close to 8k lbs.
Not trying to toot my own horn, but I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I've built engines, restored trucks from the ground up, built my own house, garage, storage sheds, porches, and everything else. So I'm pretty confident I can install a hitch properly and confirm with a few basic measurements. However, I always take note of how people have their hitches setup- and it is downright scary how poorly setup the majority are!!! With that being said, I encountered more sway with winds quartering into the rig than hitting straight on the side when pulling with the Equalizer. It was never enough sway that I felt out of control, but the forces from the wind were able to overcome the amount of friction provided by the bars- it's simply the nature of the beast. There is nothing wrong with the Equalizer. For a friction based system, it's definitely what I'd go with. Doesn't change the fact that it is NOT even in the same league as the ProPride. I think there would be far fewer people on here criticizing the use of 1/2 tons for pulling anything other than a popup if they were to experience towing with a ProPride.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #15

I totally agree. I'm amazed at how many people have a mis-configured weight distribution hitch setup. The setup must take into account if you are towing with an empty or full fresh water tank or anything that would affect the tongue weight, etc.

Before determining the optimal setup for my RV, I filled my fresh water and drove it around town and highway and made minor adjustments to see its affect on towing. Then I emptied the fresh water and did the process again. Now I have a starting point for both scenarios.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
I totally agree. I'm amazed at how many people have a mis-configured weight distribution hitch setup. The setup must take into account if you are towing with an empty or full fresh water tank or anything that would affect the tongue weight, etc.

Before determining the optimal setup for my RV, I filled my fresh water and drove it around town and highway and made minor adjustments to see its affect on towing. Then I emptied the fresh water and did the process again. Now I have a starting point for both scenarios.
That's actually another great feature of the ProPride. WD adjustments are via the 2 jacks on each side. If you load differently based upon location, length of stay, etc., you can quickly and easily adjust how much weight you are distributing. You don't have to redo the entire setup.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #17

Here is my 2 cents worth. We purchased a 2014 8315BSS in August of this year and I ordered another Reese Duel Cam as I had used one for many years. Set up was right on the money, axle weights were great, everything lined up just as it should, but there was a lot of sway. So I checked and re checked, weighed and re weighed. Water tank full, water empty... up a link down a link, change the angle of the head. All told about a week worth adjustment and trial and error and still, no JOY !!!!

The 8315BSS is a long trailer with a lot of surface area sitting on 2 - 4,000 lbs. with 15 inch c rated tires. Sitting in the building right now with now, no stab. jacks down this thing rocks and rolls.
The trailer has a pretty high COG.
That being said IMHO unless I was to change tires (which I will)
and maybe even the axles, it is still going to sway with a friction based W/D hitch.

Oh, I forget, the TV is a 2500 HD with Air Bags, no problem
there, the TV was stable, the TT danced a jig......

Four weeks into this situation I also discovered the information and videos as the OP . Made the call, had the talk, ordered the
ProPride 3 P w/1400 lbs. bars installed it in around 3 hours +/-
and WW, still have the same tires and axles on the trailer and it just works !!!!! Did I say WW !!

BTW, I am no stranger to towing or high profile vehicles. I have towed and logged over 2.5 million miles.

The ProPride 3 P is not a band -aid, it a cure....
I discover they're just
REGULAR DONUTS !!!!!
coffeebean43140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean43140 View Post
Here is my 2 cents worth. We purchased a 2014 8315BSS in August of this year and I ordered another Reese Duel Cam as I had used one for many years. Set up was right on the money, axle weights were great, everything lined up just as it should, but there was a lot of sway. So I checked and re checked, weighed and re weighed. Water tank full, water empty... up a link down a link, change the angle of the head. All told about a week worth adjustment and trial and error and still, no JOY !!!!

The 8315BSS is a long trailer with a lot of surface area sitting on 2 - 4,000 lbs. with 15 inch c rated tires. Sitting in the building right now with now, no stab. jacks down this thing rocks and rolls.
The trailer has a pretty high COG.
That being said IMHO unless I was to change tires (which I will)
and maybe even the axles, it is still going to sway with a friction based W/D hitch.

Oh, I forget, the TV is a 2500 HD with Air Bags, no problem
there, the TV was stable, the TT danced a jig......

Four weeks into this situation I also discovered the information and videos as the OP . Made the call, had the talk, ordered the
ProPride 3 P w/1400 lbs. bars installed it in around 3 hours +/-
and WW, still have the same tires and axles on the trailer and it just works !!!!! Did I say WW !!

BTW, I am no stranger to towing or high profile vehicles. I have towed and logged over 2.5 million miles.

The ProPride 3 P is not a band -aid, it a cure....
My casual observation has been that MANY a TT owner have gone to fifth wheels and spent a TON of money simply because they HATED pulling a TT. That's not to say there aren't other benefits to a fifth wheel- just pointing out that upgrading to a ProPride would have been MUCH cheaper for those that liked their TT, just hated pulling it.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #19
Engineer of Crazy Train

Thank you for the writeup. I am interested in this myself.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #20
DDC

I have had the Hensley for many years now and moved it from one trailer to the other several times and with different vehicles also and while it was expensive to purchase it has been and continues to be the most relaxing way to tow in any and all condition, you just can't put a price on being able to tow with safety in mind.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote