Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #1

Question Protection for Fiver from Road Debris Thrown by Truck

We're heading to Alaska in May. I've read quite a few folks with MH's talking about protecting their toads from road debris being thrown up by the MH's on some of the AK roads. That made me think: Is that a potential problem for a 5th wheel as well?

I know I do throw up some mud on to the front of my 5r on occasion so it seems possible to also throw some rocks. I haven't noticed any extra protection on 5r's in pictures I've seen on the internet so not sure if it is a worry or not.

Has any one had any experience with this and/or have any suggestions?

Thanks!!
FarmerTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

What type of mud flaps are you using?

https://www.google.com/#q=rock+tamers
Old 03-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Would definitely try to find some that fit up under the truck close to the tires.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm putting a set of Rock Tamers on my Tacoma to protect my TT...around $200 on Amazon and installation isn't hard at all.

Rock Tamers

8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #5

Thanks. I presume my concern is at least a little warranted!

I have no mud flaps or such at this time but I'm looking into them.

ColoradoRick: I like the idea of the Rock Tamers and will check them out. It appears I can easily remove them when not needed. Thanks!
FarmerTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTex View Post
Thanks. I presume my concern is at least a little warranted!

I have no mud flaps or such at this time but I'm looking into them.

ColoradoRick: I like the idea of the Rock Tamers and will check them out. It appears I can easily remove them when not needed. Thanks!
Yes they come right off there are two set bolt that you tighten to the ball mount to keep it from wiggling to much.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #7

Just installed set of flaps on my truck to keep rocks from hitting 5er! Not hard at all, get them for 50.00 to 200.00$. Well worth the money
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	70842  
Old 03-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #8

Wrong pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	70843  
Old 03-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechjr View Post
Wrong pic
Now, that's how mud flaps should look! GOOD JOB!
Old 03-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTex View Post
We're heading to Alaska in May. I've read quite a few folks with MH's talking about protecting their toads from road debris being thrown up by the MH's on some of the AK roads. That made me think: Is that a potential problem for a 5th wheel as well?

I know I do throw up some mud on to the front of my 5r on occasion so it seems possible to also throw some rocks. I haven't noticed any extra protection on 5r's in pictures I've seen on the internet so not sure if it is a worry or not.

Has any one had any experience with this and/or have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

The towtectors . full length protection . I looked at the rock tamers and to many not to good reviews . the towtector had great reviews . covers the whole back of your TV
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:11 PM   #11

RE: Rock Tamers

Many users have complained the design tends to cause ricochet back onto the TV, and I'm sure there's dependency upon the geometry of hitch and bumper relationship too. This is what I am told by one member from our camping club who used the Rock Tamers and completed the camping season with a fresh repaint of his tailgate, lower quarters, and paint-matched step bumper - on 9 month-old TV! He ended up fitting a full sweep brush style underneath with quick releases.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #12

I had rock tamers on previous DRW tow vehicle. Got rid of them because when adjusted wide enough to cover the outside dual, the ends of the mud flap bracket would hit the front of the 5th wheel on sharp turns.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
I had rock tamers on previous DRW tow vehicle. Got rid of them because when adjusted wide enough to cover the outside dual, the ends of the mud flap bracket would hit the front of the 5th wheel on sharp turns.
I think with a little ingenuity someone could design the flaps to fit close to the tires but yet be removable if so desired. Like attaching the flaps to a tube and sliding the tube over another tube/rod already attached to the truck.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I think with a little ingenuity someone could design the flaps to fit close to the tires but yet be removable if so desired. Like attaching the flaps to a tube and sliding the tube over another tube/rod already attached to the truck.
I wouldn't see a reason to remove the flaps if there installed properly as pictured by the "Chevy" (pardon my fowl language) on my Ford (real trucks don't wear bow ties) I'm putting them on in the same fashion only a little lower to the ground. No need to remove them in my opinion.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #15

I have mud flaps on my truck but since i live on a gravel road i also made a protector i ordered a motor home one that is made of the broom like material and welded up an angle iron on a square tube to fit into my recevier so i can easly remove it when not needed i made it the width of the truck and wish i would have made it the width of the 5ver
good luck and happy camping

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
I wouldn't see a reason to remove the flaps if there installed properly as pictured by the "Chevy" (pardon my fowl language) on my Ford (real trucks don't wear bow ties) I'm putting them on in the same fashion only a little lower to the ground. No need to remove them in my opinion.
I doubt the Ford (pardon my fowl language) could carry the extra wt all the time. They look good on the Chevy (real trucks do wear bow ties).

The ones hanging on the hitch, IMO, look "jakey" and from experience on my 78 Chevy(real trucks do wear bow ties), when you hang them that far back they create damage when you hit a dip in a road by flipping rocks.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
I have mud flaps on my truck but since i live on a gravel road i also made a protector i ordered a motor home one that is made of the broom like material and welded up an angle iron on a square tube to fit into my recevier so i can easly remove it when not needed i made it the width of the truck and wish i would have made it the width of the 5ver
good luck and happy camping

The tow tector comes in larger widths to accomadate 5wheels and wider campers . i think it's 96" for the wider 5wheels . also mount to the receiver so set up for easy removal
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I doubt the Ford (pardon my fowl language) could carry the extra wt all the time. They look good on the Chevy (real trucks do wear bow ties).

The ones hanging on the hitch, IMO, look "jakey" and from experience on my 78 Chevy(real trucks do wear bow ties), when you hang them that far back they create damage when you hit a dip in a road by flipping rocks.
I was referring to the ones on the silver one ton not the "red thing" (for lack of a better word) if your going to hang sometime that ugly on a temporary basis why not just "jakey" rig it to the front of the 5er? Share the opinion with ya on the hitch mount ones looking like shiza, just not on what a real truck looks like.

Tags
truck