Old 03-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #21
I think you should check your weight numbers again. I doubt your truck will weigh more than 10k full of fuel, passengers and other cargo. Add your 15.5k trailer and your entire rig would weigh less than 26k.

I have a Ford F350 SRW 4x4 8' box with the diesel engine. My rig including me and a full fuel tank weighs about 8200 lbs. with the hitch installed. Don't add the two GVWRs as you won't be loading your truck to its full capacity. One thousand pounds over its empty weight would be a lot for people and other on-board cargo.

2015 Wildcat 282 RKX
2011 F350 Lariat, 6.7 L. Diesel, 8 ft., SRW, Reese R20
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:33 PM   #22
We are in the same boat...the weight of the trailer with options and tanks half full leaves us only 600 pounds of the full capacity of the single rear wheel duramax. I think that is just to close to the edge so we're going with the dully for that extra margin of safety and liability in case the wheels fall off...

smarks1632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #23
To the op, just so you know your trailer will be right at 13k lbs when it arrives at your dealer. Spec sheet on our 380bh5 was 12.2k and it's 12,970lbs. I haven't weighed it to check pin weight

Sent from my SM-N910V
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #24
I have a 2014 Ram 3500 SRW long bed with a GVWR of 12300 and a payload of 4280. I have weighed my truck and confirmed the payload numbers. I tow a 40' Columbus 365RL with a dry weight of 12259 and a GVWR of 15500. I have no issues with the weight of the trailer being too much for the truck. The dry pin was 1910 and even with 1000 lbs added that still leaves almost 1k of payload on the truck. You don't necessarily need a dually.

Research the numbers and make an educated decision.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #25
Thumbs up Your right on track, and don't sound like a confused newbie

Your background story is eerily similar to mine and probably many others. And it sounds like you are doing the due diligence research for such a large 5th Wheel. The Tow vehicle niche is very small for the size you are purchasing. I have a F-350 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel DRW 3:73 to pull a 42' Sanibel 3901. After buying it, I towed it home from Ohio through West Virginia (sure not the Donner Pass kind of terrain) to get to Virginia and had no issues or concerns as a first time ever attempt at pulling. I would definitely get the long bed (for turning), 4 x 4 for off road camping and also look at 4.11 axle ratio is available. This will assure greater margin of performance and safety. Good luck and happy camping. By the way, I too am a newbie and this forum has provided a great source of expertise and advice as we get started down the road to adventure camping. Thanks to all the folks who contribute with their sage knowledge.
Mac & Joyce
2012 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW
2015 Sanibel 3901
OK-3 Wire...Living the dream
Gonetothedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #26
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
I think you should check your weight numbers again. I doubt your truck will weigh more than 10k full of fuel, passengers and other cargo. Add your 15.5k trailer and your entire rig would weigh less than 26k.
Here in NY, the license is based on GVWR (rating), not on actual weight. And they add the GVWR of the truck to the GVWR of the trailer. If you're over 26,000lbs rated you need an RV endorsement on a regular driver's license. Previous Ram 3500 DRW rated at 13,500 added to KZ Stoneridge toy hauler rated at 19,000 lbs put me way over 26,000 lbs.
2015 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 WS. Rear LR, large street side slide with small wardrobe slide in BR.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Laramie Quad Cab.
wbdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:03 PM   #27
A one ton would be the way to go for sure. The truck (chevy, ford or dodge) is really what you prefer. They are all pretty darn good.

I have a Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie, 4 x 4, quad cab with a short box. Got the truck with 40,000 km (24,000 miles) in 2010. We pull a 8265WS Rockwood 5th wheel. It is 29ft. Since we have a shortbox we opted for a HiJacker Auto slide hitch and it is a dream.

We now have over 200,000 km (120,000 miles) on the truck and most of those miles are with the trailer in tow. We have gone from coast to coast (in Canada) and back again, up to Yukon and Alaska and over half a dozen shorter trips across the rock pile (Canadian Rockies) to the prairies.

The truck has never given us any problems and the Cummins motor is great. Incredible torque.

Being a one ton it does ride a bit like a lumber wagon, especially empty. With the trailer on it does smooth out.

Consider adding a Glide Ride Pinbox, this will improve your ride.

The newer trucks apparently ride way better then our old beast. Good luck and congrats on the new unit.

Anders Cortes Island, BC. Canada

Pony: 2008 Dodge 3500 Laramie, 4x4, Quad Cab
Harness: Hijacker 24-AS-18 Autoslide, Demco Glide Ride Pin Box
Chuckwagon: 2011 Rockwood 8265WS
Travel Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, wheel