Old 09-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #31

I am a FORD diesel tech and so happy with the 6.7 so far. There has been only a few minor problems. Nothing like the 6.0 and the 6.7. I am so sick and tired of changing EGR coolers, oil coolers, headgaskets, and turbo on the 6.0l and tired of pulling the body off of the 6.4l too work on them. One trend I have been seeing with the 6.7l is that the primary rad(engine rad) tend to leak coolant from the LH rad tank to core seam. Keep an eye out for the odd drip from the LH area of the truck and keep an eye on the coolant resevoir on the drivers rear engine compartment. Rob

Old 09-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #32

That's good to know wrenchrob! TY

Nice truck Gaspeddler!!

Today, I just picked up a 2012 F-450 myself. Waaaay nicer than my 06 for sure!

Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #33
Retired FF

Congratulations on the new truck and how well it is working out for you. I am trying to work things out to be able to get a new F350 dually myself.
This is a big step for me, as I have always been a Dodge guy, and love the 2500 that I have now. (I wish I could transplant the Cummins into the Ford, that motor is a pulling beast).

The problem that I am finding is that the towing capacity of the Ram can't even come close to the Ford. The 2500 CTD that I have now is rated at 13,400lbs towing capacity. All the new 3500 Ram Dually's around me are all with the 3:73 rear end and are rated at only 13,900 lbs, so is absolutly not worth buying a new 3500 dually to only increase towing capacity by 500 lbs. The ONLY way to get better capacity out of the Ram is to order a truck with a 4:10 rear end which then increases capacity to around 19,000 lbs, but will kill the mileage. Evidently the rear axle is the weak link for capacity rating for the Dodge. The Ford is rated at 17,500 conventional, and over 22,000 lbs fifth wheel for towing capacity with a 3:73 rear axle. Dodge doesn't differentiate and only gives 1 rating.

So it will be a bittersweet day when I finally make the change, as I do truly love my Ram 2500, but need more capacity as I want to also buy a large fifth wheel to better fit my family. Perhaps I may wait for the 2013 Rams to come out to see if they have upped the ante on capacity.

Again, congratulations on your new truck, and in the not too distant future, I may also be making the same announcment.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrogers
Congratulations on the new truck and how well it is working out for you. I am trying to work things out to be able to get a new F350 dually myself.
This is a big step for me, as I have always been a Dodge guy, and love the 2500 that I have now. (I wish I could transplant the Cummins into the Ford, that motor is a pulling beast).

The problem that I am finding is that the towing capacity of the Ram can't even come close to the Ford. The 2500 CTD that I have now is rated at 13,400lbs towing capacity. All the new 3500 Ram Dually's around me are all with the 3:73 rear end and are rated at only 13,900 lbs, so is absolutly not worth buying a new 3500 dually to only increase towing capacity by 500 lbs. The ONLY way to get better capacity out of the Ram is to order a truck with a 4:10 rear end which then increases capacity to around 19,000 lbs, but will kill the mileage. Evidently the rear axle is the weak link for capacity rating for the Dodge. The Ford is rated at 17,500 conventional, and over 22,000 lbs fifth wheel for towing capacity with a 3:73 rear axle. Dodge doesn't differentiate and only gives 1 rating.

So it will be a bittersweet day when I finally make the change, as I do truly love my Ram 2500, but need more capacity as I want to also buy a large fifth wheel to better fit my family. Perhaps I may wait for the 2013 Rams to come out to see if they have upped the ante on capacity.

Again, congratulations on your new truck, and in the not too distant future, I may also be making the same announcment.
Wrongers if your after the max tow rating for 1 ton then get a GM, 18G & 22.5 for the 5er. The Dmax Allison combo that's available now is untouchable.

Gaspeddler she looks nice... Enjoy her!!!

Tags
f-350