Old 01-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #1

Pulling LaCrosse 318BHS with Surburban

I have a 1/2 ton z71 Burb with a tow package and was looking at getting the 318bhs lacrosse. I'm confused with all the tow capabilities of different TV. I've seen a lot smaller vehicles than mine pull much bigger trailers. I was wondering if anyone is pulling a 318bhs with a 1/2 ton Burb and what their experience has been or suggestions on what can be done to improve the 1/2 ton to pull something this big. I just bought the Burb and I'm not in the market right now to buy another tv. Thank you for any insight and suggestions anyone might have.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgee View Post
I have a 1/2 ton z71 Burb with a tow package and was looking at getting the 318bhs lacrosse. I'm confused with all the tow capabilities of different TV. I've seen a lot smaller vehicles than mine pull much bigger trailers. I was wondering if anyone is pulling a 318bhs with a 1/2 ton Burb and what their experience has been or suggestions on what can be done to improve the 1/2 ton to pull something this big. I just bought the Burb and I'm not in the market right now to buy another tv. Thank you for any insight and suggestions anyone might have.
you don't say what year or engine size but if it's the 5.3 v-8, NO way will that Burb tow that big of a trailer.
my '07 Avalanche, the same GM900 chassis as the Burb, has a tow max of 7200lbs. and the 318BHS has a "dry" weight of 7613lbs.
unless your Burb is the 2500 model, it's not going to come even close to being able to tow it.
plus it's nearly 36' long!

you need to provide more info on your Burb for a precise answer to what it can tow.
by the way, my Avy has the 5.3, the 3.73 rear end and the factory tow package.
i tow a 24' 5000lbs. loaded HTT and i wouldn't tow anything much longer or heavier.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan

you don't say what year or engine size but if it's the 5.3 v-8, NO way will that Burb tow that big of a trailer.
my '07 Avalanche, the same GM900 chassis as the Burb, has a tow max of 7200lbs. and the 318BHS has a "dry" weight of 7613lbs.
unless your Burb is the 2500 model, it's not going to come even close to being able to tow it.
plus it's nearly 36' long!

you need to provide more info on your Burb for a precise answer to what it can tow.
by the way, my Avy has the 5.3, the 3.73 rear end and the factory tow package.
i tow a 24' 5000lbs. loaded HTT and i wouldn't tow anything much longer or heavier.
Thanks for your reply. I have a 2011 1/2 ton with a 3.42 rear. Would I be more suited to pull the 3150 tracer from primetime? I have 4 kids and that's why I needed to go with the Burb instead of a truck . Would the 3/4 ton Burb be able to pull the lacrosse? What would be a suitable tv to pull the lacrosse with the room for 4 kids?
Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I have a 2011 1/2 ton with a 3.42 rear. Would I be more suited to pull the 3150 tracer from primetime? I have 4 kids and that's why I needed to go with the Burb instead of a truck . Would the 3/4 ton Burb be able to pull the lacrosse? What would be a suitable tv to pull the lacrosse with the room for 4 kids?
the 2012 specs show 8000lbs. tow capacity with a 4x4 1/2 ton Burb with the 3.42 rear end. that's with only a 150lb. driver in it. anything additional in the Burb, will reduce that number by its weight.
say that Mom weighs 150lb. and the rest of the family weighs 400lbs. and the cargo inside weighs 100lbs. with the WDH weighing 100lbs.
now you can only tow 7400lbs.

the 3150 Tracer will have a GVWR over 9000lbs. still too much trailer both in weight and length. it'll weigh around 7000lbs. with options, propane and battery, before you even start adding cargo and water.

the 2500 model would be able to tow the Tracer but the Lacrosse would be a stretch. a diesel Excursion or 3/4 ton crew cab truck could tow it.
a recommended rule is to only tow 80% of your tow maximum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan

the 2012 specs show 8000lbs. tow capacity with a 4x4 1/2 ton Burb with the 3.42 rear end. that's with only a 150lb. driver in it. anything additional in the Burb, will reduce that number by its weight.
say that Mom weighs 150lb. and the rest of the family weighs 400lbs. and the cargo inside weighs 100lbs. with the WDH weighing 100lbs.

the 3150 Tracer will have a GVWR over 9000lbs. still too much trailer both in weight and length. it'll weigh around 7000lbs. with options, propane and battery, before you even start adding cargo and water.

the 2500 model would be able to tow the Tracer but the Lacrosse would be a stretch. a diesel Excursion or 3/4 ton crew cab truck could tow it.
Thank you for all your assistance. If I was looking at a 2500 hd silverado crew cab with a 14,400 tow rating would that be able to tow the lacrosse? Sorry for all the questions, it is really confusing to determine what a vehicle can actually tow. Is there a good website that shows what vehicles can tow or a calculator that assists with this?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

who recommends this 80% rule- just curios
Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfan View Post
who recommends this 80% rule- just curios
it's a common rule-of-thumb recommendation on all the RV forums.
there's also the 1000lb. rule and a few others but the 80% one is very common.

not saying it's a must-do, just that it's frequently recommended.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Thank you for all your assistance. If I was looking at a 2500 hd silverado crew cab with a 14,400 tow rating would that be able to tow the lacrosse? Sorry for all the questions, it is really confusing to determine what a vehicle can actually tow. Is there a good website that shows what vehicles can tow or a calculator that assists with this?

yes, that would do fine and even go bigger in the future.
i do recommend you read up on towing more so that you don't feel as confused.
learn things like GCWR, GVWR, CCC, dry vs. actual weight, and so on.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

Here is a good web site to help you understand the TV variables and selection considerations (tow vehicle sizing)
Tow Vehicle Sizing

and here is a good weight calculator on the same site:

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #10

I agree, way too much trailer for the suburban.

I previously had a suburban to pull my trailer, which is much lighter and shorter than either mentioned, my GVWR is 7680, and probably closer to 6800 pounds fully loaded, it was within the specs of towing with the suburban, but I did not like the lack of power, the transmission temp (even with upgraded HD trans cooler), the shifting of gears, etc. The frame, suspension and handling with the trailer did fine,

I upgraded my TV and never looked back....

Tags
318bhs