Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2020, 06:58 AM   #1

pulling with a short bed pros and cons

Looking for pro's and con's from folks who use and pull their 5th wheels with short bed trucks.
we're looking at trading trucks and pulling our 5th wheel with a short bed (6'-4") with a diesel.
1) how does the short bed handle with a 5th wheel?
2) do you use a slider 5th wheel hitch?
3) how often do use actually use the slider?

anything else you care to add?
Thanks,
David
DavidAndDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:33 AM   #2

It really depends on the 5th wheel camper you choose, the front caps are designed differently, several of the newer models will work with a short bed. I used a manual slider hitch just in case I needed some extra turn radius while parking in a camp site. I only used it once and really didn't need it then, but I was by myself and didn't want to chance it. The automatic sliders are the best and then you are worry free, but they are heavy to remove and cost more. If I was going in the 5th wheel route that's what I would go with and design some type of lift system to remove it in my garage when not in use.
2020 Wolfpack 25PACK12
2018 Harley Road Glide Special
jdbunch1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
DDC

I have had no problem towing with my short bed, I don’t do or like putting those 80/90 degree turns on my unit and when I use the truck without the trailer it’s a lot easier to park and manoeuvre than a long bed. Just my personal feelings though I am sure others will differ.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #4

We have always used a 6.5' bed truck to pull our fifth wheels of all sizes. Can't say it causes any problems or makes handling the RV any different. We do not like long bed trucks for our personal use. Don't like they way they look or handle.
We use a Sidewinder hitch on the trailer with a standard (lighter) fifth wheel truck hitch. Perfect solution. Never have to worry about hitting the cab with the cap of the RV. Also pulls more like a bumper pull as it follows the truck tracks more closely and turn reaction is faster than normal fifth wheel hitch due to moving the turning point back 22".
We do NOT like slider hitches. They are too heavy, take up too much room in truck bed, and seem to bind when you need them most.
An Anderson hitch is also an option, but after helping my buddy install and use his, I decided I just don't feel comfortable with it for myself. But many folks seem to love them.
Check out the Sidewinder hitches.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:16 AM   #5

I have a Demco AutoSlider. It is heavy and does take a lot of room in bed more then a non-slider, but it doesn't use a capture plate or any other kind of adapter. Have to give a thumbs up to the company as I had a small issue and they quickly assisted in getting it fixed. No worries about hitting the cab. As others have said that with the design of the front cab these days, you may not need one, but I feel better about having one. Just my take.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #6

Agree with what DDC said. I don't have a slider and have never needed one. Once I tested the setup by backing into my driveway and intentionally cut it really hard. Before I got near the cab I had already reached my comfort limit with sliding the tires at around 70 degrees.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
Canadian Member

Our fifth wheel came from the factory with a Reese Revolution pinbox. There’s no need for a long bed with that pinbox. The aftermarket version is the Sidewinder that NMWildcat mentioned.

I’ll echo other posters about the pros of a short bed - easier to park and manoeuvre. The only con is that you have less bed space especially with the hitch in. I’ve never had an 8’ box so I can’t comment on whether it might tow better but I’m totally comfortable towing our 5er with the short bed.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
WFD

When many talk about pulling with a short bed truck, they are referring to the 1/2 tons that can come with a true short bed at 5.5 ft. The 2500 diesel like you are referring to with the 6'4" box makes it much easier. I had a slider in ours for the first 3-4 yrs and like many others have mentioned, it was heavy, took up more box space due to sliding rails, and there was more chucking from the trailer as there seemed to always be that very slight amount of play in the hitch. Have since switched to a regular 5th wheel hitch, and wouldn't go back. Far lighter and easier to remove when I need the whole box. In the time I had the slider I never needed it with a 6'4" box.
I have contemplated switching the trailer pin box to activate the Sidewinder feature as mentioned in a previous post but so far have not done that due to the numerous posts in here about people having trouble with them binding, being noisy, etc...I understand they do require annual maintenance, but given the posts in the forum here about the weight of the whole mechanism, and some people having trouble hooking up with them, I just haven't ventured down that path yet...but I am curious about it, may have to investigate it further and look for a tutorial on the whole process.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:19 AM   #9

Previously, I pulled my current 5th wheel with an F250 powerstroke, 4x4, short bed. I had a Pullrite Superglide in the bed which was so heavy that I had to install and remove it with the front loader on my tractor. I didn't care too much for the automatic movement of the hitch, although it worked exactly as it should. High winds and steep downhill curvy roads tended to influence the handling of my F250 to the point that I traded trucks after pulling the camper on just a few trips.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #10

Have pulled our fifth wheels with a 6'4" bed since 2008 using the Pullrite Superglides. I can not really tell you if I ever really needed it as since the movement is automatic I have never had to worry or be concerned about an 80 to 90 degree turn, and yes I have done a few. I will agree they are heavy, but I don't normally remove mine while we're out. The only dis-advantage I have found is for the Pullrite you need to be within 10 degrees of inline with the Rv, as it does use a capture plate, this sometimes can be a pita especially in parks with tight roads.

For my second opinion, I have a friend who thinks just the opposite of me, and has pulled with us many times she has always had a truck with extended cab and long bed. She uses a standard Reese Hitch, her unit is 41 feet long. She drove an Engine and Tiller Ladder Truck and is an excellent driver. I have however seen her have some difficulty in making tight turns in some parks as well as in backing in to spaces that are really close. She has had to do the wiggle a few times to get in.

All in all I think since there are a lot of options for each bed, a little homework and the opinions from the great people on the forum will help you make a good decision.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #11
KSH

Ram 2500 short bed, Andersen ultimate hitch. The key is the nose on the 5th wheel. Mine is very angled. I can go over 90 but clearly wouldn't ever need to.
I was very concerned about this as well, no issues with the Andersen.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #12

We have a 2010 F350 diesel shortbed. We bought an Anderson extended hitch. Best investment we ever did. Pulls like a charm and no bucking. Can jackknife the trailer anywhere we need to. Anderson hitches don’t break the bank either. We were told we’d need a hitch costing $1500 or more. Got the Anderson extender hitch for half that. Plus it’s light and easy to install and remove.
GmaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #13

If this helps. '07 Dodge 3500, 2wd, mega cab (storage behind back seat), short box. No problem with 5th wheel hitch mounted directly over axle and did some pretty tight turns both directions. The trailer I had the trailer plate was out maybe 4" in front of trailer was why. (Have seen some with the plate under the trailer nose by a few inches. That would not allow enough room for much over 40° in turn room.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #14

I had a 6.5 box and a Reese manual slider, but never slid it. I have an 8am box now and wished I didn’t have a slider. They’re a little heavier to remove. Love the8’ box though.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #15

I have a DEMCO auto slider and love it. I had a Husky manual slide for a few years and didn’t like it very much because it did chuck a lot. When I got my new truck it had the pucks in it so it was a good time to upgrade my hitch. Yes it is heavy, but it works so nice and absolutely no more chucking. I still have the Husky and if you or anyone on is ever in lower Delaware I will be glad to give it to you. By the way, it looks like new, I take care of my stuff.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #16

I have a Ram diesel with 6.4 bed and Andersen hitch. Works great in the short time I've had it. The Andersen mounts to a B&W gooseneck turnover ball mounted directly over the rear axle. Plenty of turning room.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #17

4 door short bed GMC Duamax. Pullrite auto hitch Takes some getting used to. Can be a PITA to get unhitched.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #18

I pulled various 5ers with 3 different Ford SB trucks. Ford SB are 6'9". I only NEEDED a slider 3 times. 1st slider was a Reese, sent to the recycle bin. Bought a B&W slider. All these years and still using it. No longer need a slider but a great hitch, why buy another?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #19

Before you rule out a long bed truck, take this into consideration. Our truck is a Chevrolet Crew Cab, 4x4, diesel with a 8 ft. bed. With a Ranch Hand brush guard on the front, the truck is 28 ft. long and our 5th wheel is a Crusader Lite that is 32 ft. long. Our hitch is a 16K Reese standard that is anchored to the truck bed by sitting on rails and secured with four pins. Weight of hitch is less than 100 lbs. My wife and I both are in our mid 70's and do not find that the length of the truck hinders us in any way when it comes to towing or parking our trailer. Being that the truck itself is so long, it rides much better than a shorter truck. That 8 ft. bed also contains a 60 gal. auxiliary diesel tank mounted just behind the cab and two Honda Inverter generators mounted just forward of tailgate, one on each side of bed. There is still space in the bed for other items. The only drawback I have found with the trucks length is it does not completely fit under our carport and I cannot take it on the Going to the Sun Road in Montana due to its length. I can turn the truck more than 90 degrees to the trailer without make contact between the two.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #20

Our trailer is specifically designed to be pulled with a short bed. Works just fine, I have a Silverado 25000 Duramax and love it. Prior TV was a 1999 Ford extra cab with long box. The Fords of this era did not have a very tight turning radius so was a very poor tow rig when trying to put trailer in tight spot.
Nala47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed