Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriddering View Post
To Crusader. I have the same hitch and I know mine clunks too. I will have to check the play on the hitch itself but I think some of the noise on mine comes from the hitch mount to the truck. I am going to take it to the dealership and have them tell me if that is normal. I suspect it is. My last hitch slid (with a little coaxing)into tracks and there was NO play. The new one sits on universal mountings.
Jriddering....Have you had your hitch checked out by the dealer yet ??
My 5r is in storage for the winter, so I have to wait till spring.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #22

No. still in winter storage too but I am getting antsy to go camping. I will probably take it in to have it checked in a couple of weeks. I already have camping trips planned for summer.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #23

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
When I had my Big Horn 38 ft. I bought a used Pullrite Super Slide (2004) and one of the things I liked about it was there was absolutely no play in the hitch unlike the Reese hitch I had before it. And, with a shortbed 1 ton Dodge I considered a slider hitch absolutely essential. During the time I had that hitch it worked flawlessly. I would get it checked out by someone.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #24

I have a 2010 Ford F150 5.4 Supercrew. I had the dealer install the 12K Superglide hitch. My 5vr has a pin weight of 1050. Do you recommend either air bags or something like the Road Master to beef up the springs. The Cougar Xlite is supposed to be 1/2 ton towable. Any advice regarding this is most welcome. Thanks!
turf2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #25

I have a 2005 F150 Supercrew. I installed Firestone air bags. I would recommend the Firestone airbags to anyone pulling a fifth wheel, especially with a 1/2 ton. You can adjust the air pressure until your truck is level with the 5vr connected. I love the air bags. I usually run with 40 psi in my air bags.
robynest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #26

I coat my rails with grease, never any slop, and i clean them every so oftet but when it is not used it is removed from the truck or under a bed cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynest View Post
I have a 2005 F150 Supercrew. I installed Firestone air bags. I would recommend the Firestone airbags to anyone pulling a fifth wheel, especially with a 1/2 ton. You can adjust the air pressure until your truck is level with the 5vr connected. I love the air bags. I usually run with 40 psi in my air bags.
my truck is level with out bags but friday i bought a set to keep it off the overloads on our crappy roads

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #27

I would have installed the bags, but they would get in the way of the pullright brackets, so I had to opt for the helper springs.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #28
Denver, CO

What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Hold the phone on the plastic wear plate upgrade kit.

Email from
L. Slater
Customer Service Representative
Pulliam Enterprises, Inc.
13790 East Jefferson Blvd
Mishwaka, IN 46545
(574)259-1520/(800)443-2307
Fax: (574)258-0289

states that there is NOT an upgrade kit for my 3300.
Trying to find out if it was JUST the 3300 that is out of luck or all of them.
Any word from a year ago on the hitch retrofit.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wneise View Post
I would have installed the bags, but they would get in the way of the pullright brackets, so I had to opt for the helper springs.
have you talked to them (airlift) because they have brackets for every hitch mount and truck. Dont know your truck but my bags are inches away from my mount

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #30
Denver, CO

There is no upgrade kit to the Delrin plate, although I did see on another site that you could probably order the parts and build it yourself. I have been a bit underwhelmed with the company's response, as they have not even answered my questions.

I am guessing that the demand for these hitches is way down due to the large number of 5er's designed for the short bed trucks and lots of competition. I certainly don't need one now with my vcross, but why change what works.

So I am going to be cleaning my super glide, changing to slip plate from medium grease and making the best of it.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #31
Denver, CO

Tried to order the parts for the Delrin plate conversion, but so far no luck. I did the slip plate conversion and was surprised at how much effort it took to clean the way bars. Lots of scrubbing with wd40 and mineral spirits, but finally got them to a pristine silver color. I put copious coats of slip plate on, and am letting it dry overnight. I'll reassemble it tomorrow. Looks really nice all cleaned up.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Delrin plate conversion,
what is that??

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 03-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Any word from a year ago on the hitch retrofit.
Only that the parts required to do an upgrade needed careful fitting at the factory and they had no plans to mail out the parts due to liability if the upgraded hitch failed.

With shipping and parts, the "upgrade" would cost nearly what a new one would cost from a wholesaler with free shipping.

That was last year.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #34
Denver, CO

That 's not exactly the story I got recently, as I just tried to order the parts by number for my 4400, 18K hitch and the guy I talked to (Julius Webster) was going to check into the availability and cost. I don't believe the story about careful fitting at the factory. But since they havn't replied, I guessing that they arn't interested in supplying. Maybe I should just go to camping world and order them from there and see if that works.

The upgrade may be expensive tho, I don't know about that. There would be two delrin slide parts, two supports (clamps) for the delrin, and a new cam plate. On another site, I saw an estimate of the parts cost of about $250 if you are just replacing them, but Pullrite might want to charge much more than that to disincentify the purchaser.

Here is the information posted, that started my inquiry...

They may not offer a conversion kit. But I'll bet you can buy the parts. For the 18K model hitch, you need 2 of the hub surrounding Delrin slide blocks, top and bottom Delrin flange plates. And a new design carrier arm...that the Delrin parts will fit in to. And the new design adjustable stop block, and nut. The guide rails can be used. Although, the new design, uses slightly different guide rails, (with out the stop block slots). But rails with the slots will work just fine. The slide blocks are symmetrical/identical, as are the top and bottom plates. So you order two of each item. The Delrin parts will not fit into the previous (before Nov 2009) model Carrier Arm. This is why you need the new design Carrier Arm. I would imagine the Carrier Arm would be $150-$200 or so. And probably the 4 Delrin parts would be less than $25.00 each. The adjustable stop block would be $25 or less. So for about $300 plus shipping, you could have your conversion to the Delrin slide up date. Installing the new Carrier Arm is not all that difficult, if you have basic tools...and a good torque wrench. You basically remove the hitch head. Then the stop block adjusting bolt. Then the tilt yoke and leaf spring. Then unbolt the slide rails. Drop out the sliding stop block and discard it. Slide the rails to the back of the hitch...or remove them completely if you prefer. Then lift out the old Carrier arm, and discard it. Remove the cam roller assembly, and install on the new Carrier Arm. Install the Delrin inserts around the hub and on the inside of the top and bottom flanges on the new Carrier Arm. Then slide the Guide rails thru the Carrier arm flange slots, and bolt them into place to the torque spec. Install the tilt yoke and spring. Then the hitch head. Install and adjust the new stop block. The whole assembly is Simple enough. Common sense really. Nothing too technical. Takes about an hour. But does require some strength. I am not a Pull-Rite employee. But I do have in-depth knowledge related to the 18K modelPull-Rite post Nov 2009 Delrin slide model engineering, design, and prototype long term field testing. I can personally vouch for its advantages/benefits over the metal on metal slide "Slip Plate" version. The spec for WD40, is more for guide rail rust prevention than Delrin slide lubrication. But it does help the Delrin slightly. I cannot speak with authority for any other Pull-Rite model that uses Delrin slide pads. Since I had no involvement beyond the 18K model. But I'll bet other models are functionally similar. Just different part numbers.

The slip plate conversion will help alot in degreasing the hitch, I hope, and I don't need a slider anymore anyway so I will live with it. Can't hurt to try to push a little bit, especially since I only missed the cutoff to the new hitch by 6 months back in 2009. They got good engineers at pullrite and I should think they could put together a kit for all the customers of their that don't have the delrin plates, but I can understand the liability concerns.