Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #1

pullrite 12k Superglide hitch

This is my first fifth wheel, a 270RET Crusader. My truck is a F150 crew cab 5.5 bed. I have a Pullrite 12K Superglide hitch.
When taking off from a stop, it feels like there is "free play" between the king pin and lock jaw assembly. Pullrite tells me that this is common and that the feel play is needed. Does anyone else have this free play? Does a regular fifthwheel hitch have free play? Or, is it just that I am use to pulling a travel trailer? Not even sure I needed a slide hitch with this fifthwheel nose configuration........

P.S. new to this posting/forum stuff...hope I did this right???
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Forum. You did all right, but I did move your question the towing, hitches, and toads forum, since it more about the hitch. Hoping you get more exposure here. I don't have a 5th wheel, but maybe someone will chime in soon.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #3

Our hitch has a slide lock behind the pin, rather than jaws, and has zero 'free play'. As far as I am concerned, I see no reason for yours to have any more play than is necessary to allow for the rotation of the pin.

I assume you are saying that you hear/feel a 'bump' when taking off? Do you hear/feel the same 'bump' when stopping? Are you sure it is coming from the pin and not he whole hitch moving?
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
Lottery Non-Winner

I used to have a 5er. There was a little slap but very little. I wouldn't call it "free play" at all. More like "wiggle room". Just enough to keep from binding the king pin. Perhaps you can locate a person who is local to you who has experience with a 5th wheel and see what they think.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

Yeah, I have a little in mine also. Drives me crazy, but I've gotten used to it. And with a 5.5' bed, yeah, you did right with the slider. I can't imagine you not needing it in that little bed. Got any pictures...curiosity factor???
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #6

Are you sure it is between the pin and the hitch? I have the same hitch. Check the stop at the front of the hitch. When the hitch is straight or at a few degrees of turn, the stop should eliminate play. The track that the pin below the glide track follows does allow play in turns, but that stop should keep it against the rear of that track while the 5er is close to straight or straight to limit the jarring during starts and stops. If you notice that there is play, tighten the nut at the front of the hitch base until that pin just slips through the front of the track below the two glide tracks. If you need pics, I can grab a few once the sun comes up.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #7

wneise, pics would be a big help. I would appreciate it !! The dealer was a wast of time. I knew more about the hitch than they did, just by reading the manual. The dealer used white grease on the tracks. The manual said to use a light oil coating. So I cleaned all the grease off and lightly oiled the track.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Slack on the PUL-RITE hitch!

From time to time I get a little slack in my Pullrite hitch and it is not the king pin. You have to adjust the "spacer" shim on the very front of the hitch. Just make sure the hitch is at the dead center when you adjust it.

Also you should use "Slip Plate", which is a dry film lube with a graphite base for the #3100 Pullrite hitch. Does not attract dirt or grit.
It can be purchased at you local Grainger supply company for around $7.68 for a 16 oz spray can. The web site is www.grainger.com .

You can go to PullRite's web site and download the owners manual which shows how to adjust the spacer.

Love my Pullrite hitch which is also mounted in a F-150 with a 5'6" bed.

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #9

Below is the spacer that keeps the hitch from wandering back and forth in the track.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120101_114928.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	9719

Rotate the hitch until the guide pin is out of the center track. Tighten the nut pictured below until the hitch can no longer move into the straight position. Start backing off that nut until the stopper backs off just enough for the hitch guide pin to easily rotate through the track.

Name:	ForumRunner_20120101_115127.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	9720

The guide pin which is directly below the nut pictured below
should look like it is rolling on the rear of the track through the center of the hitch rotation. Hopefully this should work for you.

Name:	ForumRunner_20120101_120027.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	9721

BTW, the hitch comes from the factory with the stopper all the way in so the hitch cannot rotate during shipping. I hope the installer didn't think that it was a packaging piece and completely removed it.
wneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #10

Thanks Wneise, I'LL check it out and let you know...again thanks for the pics.........
Old 01-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #11

I also have a F150 superscrew (5.5" bed) with a pullrite slider. You should have very little slop in your hitch. It sounds like you need to adjust the shim in the front of the hitch. The instructions for adjusting it is in the manual. Good luck!
robynest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Also you should use "Slip Plate", which is a dry film lube with a graphite base for the #3100 Pullrite hitch.
You're correct for older PullRite hitches, but newer ones come with plastic plates that don't work well with Slip Plate. The owners manual says that a light oil, like WD-40, is all that should be used.
RuhtraRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Hob

I'm not trying to be all knowing, however, WD-40 tends to be used as the end all answer for all things. It is remarkable for some fixes and yet lacks a little in other areas. I have attached a sight from popular mechanics that gives a little more insight into some other products that out perform WD-40 in some areas.

I do have my trusty can of WD-40 stored in my trailer. I also have an assortment of other lubricants stored in my trailer. Many times the other lubrucants are used in place of the handy WD-40. Please read this short article then judge for yourself.

WD-40 Oil Alternatives - The Case Against WD-40 - Popular Mechanics

Best Regards,

Hob
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

My documentation indicates lithium grease should be used on the rails and rollers. I found that Silicone spray is best used on the hitch head as it attracts less dirt.

http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/Importa...SuperGlide.pdf

http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/SlipPlate.pdf

NEVER use WD-40 as lubricant on the rails.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3340 14-18k UMK Installation Instructions 1-3-07.pdf (1.09 MB, 606 views)
File Type: pdf 16K SG Owner's Manual 09-01-05.pdf (661.2 KB, 64 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #15

The newest PullRite hitches (December 2009 and newer)with plastic wear plates says to use WD-4 or 3 in 1 oil and not to use silicon spray.
Here is link to it.
http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/4100_4400_SG_OM.pdf
I think the WD-40 is more for cleaning than lubrication.
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

from Page 7
DO NOT OPERATE HITCH UNTIL YOU READ THIS SECTION!
Plastic Wear Plates (December 2009 - Current)
The Plastic Wear Plates of the SuperGlide’s Turntable Cam Arm Assembly were designed to glide along the surfaces without the need for lubrication. However, to protect against rust and to enhance the ease of turning on the Way Tubes, a light oil (WD-40 or a 3-in-1 oil) must be applied to the Way Tubes’ top and inward facing sides.
You will find with use, that the Plastic Wear Plate will wear the shiny zinc coating off the Way Tubes in areas, creating
“bare” areas of the metal, as well as light scoring marks in areas of repeated use. This is normal, but should be protected with a coating of a light oil. If your hitch is unused for more than a day or it is in storage, rust can form quickly in these areas. If rust does form, simply use steel wool or lightly sand those areas. Never let your tubes become pitted with rust, as it may cause the plastic to tear away or catch on rough areas. The Plastic Wear Plate has a long life expectancy, but depending on how often, and what terrains you are traveling, the plastic will eventually, wear down in time. If the 1/4” plastic plate wears down to 3/16”, it should be replaced.

WARNING: Do not use any lubrication other than a light oil on the Way Tubes of your SuperGlide hitch. Using other lubricants, such as those with a silicone base, will create a residue and may hinder the functionality of
the Turntable Cam Arm Assembly. Buildup of old oil and dirt can also create a residue over time and needs to be kept clean.

NOTE: A retro-kit is available for users without Plastic Wear Plates. (16K – Part# 4107 / 18K – Part# 4411)

Mine is now on order!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #17

Even adjusted I have a little slack when taking off and stopping with my 15000 lb. PullRite. I coat my way tubes with Slip Plate for lubracation and protection from rust. My hitch is three yrs old and have no problems with plastic wear plates. I take it completely apart every year and clean, lube and adjust, it still looks like new. Good to know about the 1/4 " thing, didn't know that. Going to have to measure it. Great hitch.
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #18

Does a standard fifth wheel hitch have a little play in it??
Old 02-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Hold the phone on the plastic wear plate upgrade kit.

Email from
L. Slater
Customer Service Representative
Pulliam Enterprises, Inc.
13790 East Jefferson Blvd
Mishwaka, IN 46545
(574)259-1520/(800)443-2307
Fax: (574)258-0289

states that there is NOT an upgrade kit for my 3300.
Trying to find out if it was JUST the 3300 that is out of luck or all of them.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #20

To Crusader. I have the same hitch and I know mine clunks too. I will have to check the play on the hitch itself but I think some of the noise on mine comes from the hitch mount to the truck. I am going to take it to the dealership and have them tell me if that is normal. I suspect it is. My last hitch slid (with a little coaxing)into tracks and there was NO play. The new one sits on universal mountings.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote