Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #21

Good info Kenk. ependydad, I agree that you won't have a problem with a bike pump.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #22

I pump mine up to 80psi. It does lose air over time. I never deflate it before unhooking. It doesn't slam down. Try your pump and see if it works for you.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
I pump mine up to 80psi. It does lose air over time. I never deflate it before unhooking. It doesn't slam down. Try your pump and see if it works for you.
Thanks everyone. I have to get the pin box and installed first.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks everyone. I have to get the pin box and installed first.
That's the fun part. I did mine by myself when I got sick of waiting for someone to lend a hand. I'm still sore and that was three years ago...
Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
That's the fun part. I did mine by myself when I got sick of waiting for someone to lend a hand. I'm still sore and that was three years ago...

LOL. I mislead you- I'll be having it installed. I don't have the equipment to torque the bolts that high. But my father-in-law does have a fork truck that we could have used to take care of the heavy lifting.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For those with the Trail Air/Tri Glide king pin box with the air bag- what are you using to inflate the air bag? And how often do you find that you need to top up the air?

I have bike tires that have to go pumped to 110 psi- do you think the same bike pump will work for this (so long as the hose reaches)?
I'm a little late to the party here but I use a portable tire inflator like this on my tri glide.

I got it from Costco for about $80 but you get them on-line at various sites including Amazon. I take it on every camping trip and use it to top off air in the truck and trailer tires when needed as well. Works like a champ for light duty but won't stand up to inflating 4 trailer tires to proper PSI after winter hibernation. Don't ask me how I know.

We always carry our bikes and a bicycle tire pump when camping but I just find this much easier to use. I rest it on top of the pin box, inflate to proper PSI and that's it. I think the bike pump will handle the job easily enough. Your challenge will be the awkward position you'll find yourself in trying to inflate it, unless you can find one with a long enough hose so that you're able to rest it on the bed of the truck. My guess it that would be somewhere around 3 1/2 - 4 feet. (I know storage is always an issue but it will fit perfectly behind the back seat of that MegaCab)
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #27
Always Learning

I actually carry an air compressor in my fifth wheel basement. But it's a hassle to dig out and then I need an extension cord. I just thought I could be lazier with the bike pump.

It is a foot pump with a longer hose. I figure I'll back the truck bed up so it's close and just climb up. It's how I've been loading my bikes. (Which ironically, we now need to make a new pin box hitch!)
Old 01-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #28

Nothing lazy about not wanting to dig a compressor out of the basement. It's the other 100 items we have to move to get to it that makes us lazy.

BTW, if your FIL has a fork truck available that's half the battle with the install. It might be worth checking with the local auto part shops to see if they have tool rental. The ones here in Dallas/Fort Worth do. If so, you could rent the torque wrench. When I bought our fiver I bought a torque wrench to torque the wheel lugs so I used it for the pin box install. Our install required some splicing of wires but nothing too difficult.

Whichever route you go, I think you'll love the Tri Glide once you get in installed. It doesn't take all the bumps and jerking out but we feel it makes a HUGE difference. Well worth the investment, IMO.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #29

If you guys want to picture a challenge, imagine this. When I installed mine myself it went like this. 200 lbs of pinbox dead lifted into the bed of my stupidly tall F350. Then I muscled it up into the fiver hitch and locked in as if it was hitched up. Then I backed the truck to the trailer over and over and over and over until it was perfectly lined up under the frame. I used the trailers front landing gear to lower the trailer onto the pinbox. Then, lying on my back and pushing with all my energy, I pushed up the back side of the pinbox until I got one bolt in. From there it was a battle getting each additional one in. Once snug, I moved my truck out and hung on my breaker bar until the bolts wouldn't tun anymore. (My torque wrench didn't go high enough.) Then I had a few adult beverages to help kill the pain and well.... to celebrate my solo accomplishment....
Old 01-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #30

I think I would have swilled down more than a couple adult beverages after that. All I can say is you're more persistent that I am. I would have quit after lifting one side of the pin box off the pallet.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #31

To elimate climbing into the truck bed to air it up I'm going to remove the air valve stim put in a brass 90deg. St. elbow then install the air valve stim in it pointing to the side of the truck. with a long air chuck i will be able inflate with out climing into the bed, when you reach the Senior age you look for the easy way
kenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #32

Pumping up Trail Air king pin

Using CO2 is not a good idea. It's very easy but a lot of pressure is lost relatively speaking as the CO2 molecules are quite small compared to normal air. It is also very cold compared to compressed ai so it will not do the tire casing any good, sort of like freezer burn in a small area, when added to tires or more to the point the small air bladder on the Trail Air. Using a bike pump is way better or a small compressor like the ViAir.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #33

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Added a 12 volt receptacle inside the battery compartment on our 2014 Silverback 33RL.....We have a Trailair hitch on our fifth wheel and the inflatable pillow in it looks like is going to need constant checking for losing air......this receptacle allows me to plug in a 12V air compressor for air anytime. Set it to 80 psi.
2014-38nights/3500 mi; 2015-66nights/6260 mi;2016-44 nights/6106 mi;2017-65nights/6992 mi;2018-47nights/7376mi;2019-65nights/7825 mi;2020-59nights/4142mi;2021-39nights/3072 mi;2022-59-nights/6149 mi;2023-36nights/3001miles.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #34

I only checked it and filled as necessary after it was hooked up and had the trailer weight on it.

Used a little 12v compressor.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #35
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I only checked it and filled as necessary after it was hooked up and had the trailer weight on it.
This is the part where I don't think the foot pump is going to help me. In fact, getting up there at all will be a hassle once I'm hitched up.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #36

Is it supposed to have 80 pounds when trailer is hitched up?
Jerry427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry427 View Post
Is it supposed to have 80 pounds when trailer is hitched up?
When hooked up you want the arrows on the shock set to the appropriate height. Depending on your particular weight the air pressure may vary. This isn't a great picture but it may help.
Attached Images

mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:45 AM   #38

Mine is set at 80 lbs because that's where the arrows point to the line when the 5er is hooked up and moved a bit so it settles.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:54 AM   #39
Mod free 5er

Sounds like shocks on the trailer would be easier, once installed, you're finished messing with it.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #40

Had the shocks on my 5er taken off, on recommendation of Forest River, after the hangers bent twice, ruining my Michelin Ribs in the process. By the way, Forest River wouldn't cover the cost of the tires because they said work was done without their prior approval...before the shocks came off. Pictures were supplied by the dealer, of the hangers and tires. It does have the Equa-flex system on it. The 5er rides just fine without them.

Tags
pump