Old 01-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Pumping up Trail Air king pin

For those with the Trail Air/Tri Glide king pin box with the air bag- what are you using to inflate the air bag? And how often do you find that you need to top up the air?

I have bike tires that have to go pumped to 110 psi- do you think the same bike pump will work for this (so long as the hose reaches)?

Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
Retired May 2015

I use a bottle of air (CO2 like for a Beer Meister) for air bag on trail air and topping of truck/5th wheel tires. For my application 80 psi works best for the pin. Have a 12volt compressor mounted on the frame for the truck air bags. Been thinking about running a QD off that supply for pin box refills. First retirement project in 3 months and 23 days. I have a slight leak so top off more than I should need to. Suspect a fill valve seal as we have a lot of sun damage to plastic and rubber here in the Central Valley of CA.

Retired 4/30/15
Traveling with new pup "Sammie". Boston Bull Terrier/chihuahua (Bo-huahua). Pronounced Bow wow wow.
dwcjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For those with the Trail Air/Tri Glide king pin box with the air bag- what are you using to inflate the air bag? And how often do you find that you need to top up the air?

I have bike tires that have to go pumped to 110 psi- do you think the same bike pump will work for this (so long as the hose reaches)?
I use a ViAir portable compressor on mine, so yours should work. It doesn't take much to fill just watch the arrows on the shock. I haven't added any since August and still okay..
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabbwr View Post
I use a ViAir portable compressor on mine, so yours should work. It doesn't take much to fill just watch the arrows on the shock. I haven't added any since August and still okay..

I want to install one of these. With the duals, I think it should cleanly install up in the wheel well. But my list of project wants is never ending.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #5

Had a tri-glide on my last rig. I was told by trail air to inflate after hooking up and deflate before unhooking so I filled up before each trip. I used a Viar portable compressor like this: VIAIR Corporation - 450P-Automatic Compressor (P/N 45043) Initially I would hook the battery spring clips to the 5vers battery. Later I installed two terminals on the front of my RV like this for even easier hook up: http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-SW2104S-6...umper+terminal This Vair model is 100% duty cycle and is the best compressor I've ever owned. I bought it because I have a lot of tires in the fleet but have found so many other uses for it. By the way, I see you mentioned installing it. This is not a compressor you install on a truck. It's portable but uses the same high quality compressor as they sell for truck mounting...
Old 01-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

This last trip we were on, the guy next to us had a very nice 5th, an "Elite Suites" with the trail-air pin box, walking by one morning I looked at it and saw a hose coming out of it and running back and disappeared. He was outside so I asked him about it and he showed me the setup, inside the front bay, mounted on the wall was a compressor, that he had a wireless key fob to control, that was hooked up to the air bag on the hitch and he could inflate and deflate it with the fob, also had an air hose and a QD to use to inflate the tires as well. It was a very nice install! Wish I had taken pics!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Had a tri-glide on my last rig. I was told by trail air to inflate after hooking up and deflate before unhooking so I filled up before each trip....
FYI. There is no reason to deflate before unhooking the TV, the following sentence is copied from the Trail Air manual.

(The air spring is like a tire in that it can lose air pressure over time. Before starting on any trip you should check ride height mark on front of shock absorber with the truck and trailer at rest.)
Old 01-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
FYI. There is no reason to deflate before unhooking the TV, the following sentence is copied from the Trail Air manual.

(The air spring is like a tire in that it can lose air pressure over time. Before starting on any trip you should check ride height mark on front of shock absorber with the truck and trailer at rest.)
Actually, if you don't it can really slam down when unhooking and Trail Air themselves recommended doing it the way I posted. It's not necessary but I did what they recommended...
Old 01-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
Infractee

Quote:

I do not see anything in that sentence copied from trail air manual that says there is no reason to deflate it.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
I do not see anything in that sentence copied from trail air manual that says there is no reason to deflate it.
This is true because no where does it state to deflate prior to unhooking. I was only stating that the manual recommend checking the arrows on the shock for proper inflation due too the bladder being similar to a tire that may lose pressure over time.

Tags
pump