Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Q..Expedition 2008 ? Towing a 16BHS Wolf Pup

Hello...a few random but super important questions...
We have a 2008 Ford Expedition. Nothing added... used to pull Jayco M-1207 PUP. Sold the PUP and want to buy Wolf Pup 16BHS-2016. Ran out of time to ask questions at the dealership ...Can my 2008 Expedition just pull up and connect my hitch to the 16BHS and leave (without buying sway bars, etc. anything extra for towing)? We have used a 4 bike carrier hitch with ball Swagman 64675 Towing Trailer Hitch 4 Bike Racks I have to double check exact model, but then connected it to our pup to it. Hauling was like nothing was even there. But I'm not sure, Can I use the same hitch or no? The 16BHS seems to be 1000 pounds more (dry weight) than the PUP but no clue how weight, etc works with hitches? Also...
I asked if the salesperson if they could mount a bike rack or fold-down on the back for the Wolf Pup. She said it wasn't possible (whatever.. I didn't have time to continue... planned on talking with parts later). I did see the spare tire was sitting in the storage area under the bed, looks like it has a mount for the bumper by a wingnut and mount. I did put $$ down to hold the last one they had. I haven't talked with them yet today.. dealership was suppose to call me (they haven't yet? it's been 24 hours). Anyhow... what do I ask when they call me back? What is important to ask? Most importantly, can I just tow it away without extra costs?
MomofNERM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

OK.... so....

I assume the Wolf Pup is a full height travel trailer.

If so, you will want some sort of sway control. I don't know he GVWR of the TT you want to purchase, or the payload capacity and GCVWR of the expidition, so it's hard to recommend what you would need.

You may not need weight distribution depending on the tongue weight on the expidition.

You can JUST add a sway bar, and insure you have the right size hitch BALL on your hitch (you can change the ball fr the proper size if your pup had a smaller ball).

If you need some weight distribution help, you can get one of three types of WDHs.

1)~250.00-500.00 WDH with friction sway control bar
2)~600.00-1000.00 WDH that PREVENTS sway and does not need friction sway control bar.
3)~2000.00 ProPride (google it).

Most likely 1) will do, just guessing on the Expedition and a presumably small TT.

2)Will be nicer, and eliminate the need to remove the sway bar before backing in.

If you don't need any weight distribution, you can just have the friction sway bar added. I had this setup on an F150 with a 3500 lb 19 foot hybrid TT. Did not use WDH. It towed well and I never had any sway issues.

If you can give us more information on the max weight of the TT and the Cargo Capacity and GCVWR on the Truck that will help.

Plan on putting 12-15% of the max TT weight onto the bumper of the Expedition.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Loaded for camping the Wolf Pup could be near 4000 lbs. I think it would be of benefit to have WDH and possibly sway bars. Some wdh have anti sway built in.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing