Old 07-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #21
Well happy to say we've returned from our trip without issue. I just filled it up to 50 psi each and off once the DW said she was done. Normally I'll check and inflate in the morning, but I got a late start. Back home safe and sound and a great trip!

2014 F-150 SCREW Ecoboost 4x4.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s GVWR #6402
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #22
Good, see how easy that was.
#1 reason for trailer tires failure - under inflation over heat and boom!
Go with the max, relax
and go camping!!!!

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
The word "cold" should actually translated to ambient. Summer temps here in the early morning are about 80 degrees... If I go on a trip in summer, I start with my tires at max sidewall pressure that morning at 80. In winter, it may be 42... So, if I go on a trip in winter, again, it's max sidewall pressure at 42. Don't read too much into it...
You need to inflate your tires to the temperature of the season. If the average temperature is 30 degrees in winter, then inflate when you have cold tires and the outside temperature is around 30. If the summer temperature average is 80 degrees, then figure that is the time to inflate.

The general rule of thumb is for every 10 degrees in temperature fluctuation, there is a 2% fluctuation of air pressure. When I see my tires running at 54 degress of pressure on by TPMS after filling up at 50 psi, I figure they have heated up about 40 degrees.

I don't do a lot of cold weather traveling, but I still add air to my tires when it gets cold to stop the confounded TMPS alert quiet.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #24
I check my tire pressure after the TT has been stationary for several hours. I don't pay that much attention to exact time of day, however I might recheck right before we leave if there was a huge fluctation in ambient temperature since I last checked.

I inflate to the max cold pressure on the sidewall (50psi) regardless of load. I periodically inspect the tread wear to see if it looks even. At max pressure, I have yet to see the middle of the tread wear faster. However, if I did notice the middles wearing quicker, I would just drop my inflation down a few PSI and keep an eye on it.

2012 Grey Wolf DBH

1999 Lincoln Navigator 4X4 5.4L 32v Intech
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote