Old 02-23-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Question about Ford integrated brake controller

I have a 2013 Ford F150 with the integrated brake controller and I don't think it's working right. I can't get the trailer brakes to “lock up” according to Ford’s owner’s manual. I tried at low speeds (under 10mph) as well as a little faster (above 25mph). I initially thought it was an issue with my new travel trailer so I took it back to the trailer dealership and they said everything was fine so they suggested it was an issue with the truck. I took my truck into the Ford dealer yesterday and they said everything checked out just fine. No codes are showing up indicating a brake controller problem and they showed me it's getting full volts when applying the brake at the pedal and the manual pull. I even tested it on a friend's cattle trailer and couldn't get his brakes to lock up either with my truck but he is able to with an aftermarket controller. Both the trailer and truck dealerships are saying their equipment is fine so I'm at a loss at this point. All I can do is set my controller all the way up to 10 and hope for the best. I'm even considering pulling the factory controller and installing an aftermarket one just to see if that makes a difference which would stink since I like the way the factory one integrates with the truck. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this with their trucks?

2016 Vibe 250BHS
2013 Ford F150 Supercrew
Husky Center Line TS Hitch.
LJS1211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
If the dealer is saying you have full voltage at the truck...and the RV dealer is saying everything is fine on their end I can think of a few things...

If it was me IMO...I would jack up one side of the trailer just enough so the tire(s) are off the ground. Plug your truck in and have someone spin the wheel on the trailer and then apply the manual pull and see if the tire locks up or not?...if it does, can it be turned fairly easy?...
Depending on how your tests go there you could always energize the trailer plug(Break circuit...Search Google it is fairly easy) from a different source and see if there are any differences...or hook your buddies truck up and do the same test and see what happens...
This could start you in the right direction...the trailer breaks might look fine but need to be adjusted...or maybe you have a flaky connector at the back of your truck that sometimes does not work correctly...
Again just MO and ideas...good luck!

2016 Prime Time Crusader 294RLT

2016 Days Booked - 31!
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
Question about Ford integrated brake controller

X2 on justice suggestions. You need those brakes working or your going to get into trouble. I have a 2012 F150 with the integrated controller and I occasional spray electrical cleaner on contacts of both the truck and the trailer end.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0 3.73

2012Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
Also keep in mind it may not be an electrical problem at all but a mechanical problem with the brakes themselves. If the brakes were excessively overheated it could have damaged them.

Flaky brake operation both electrical and mechanical are the reasons why people change over to the newer disc brakes with the electrical to hydraulic units.

Can't say for sure but just a thought.
Doug and Becky Ridgeway
2014 Blue Ridge 3600RS
2014 Ford F-350 CC 4X4 DRW 6.7 PSD
Troy, NC
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
I assume you are trying to lock the brakes by using the override lever on the controller and not just hitting the truck brakes which will be affected by the gain adjustment you have set.
Orval and Yvonne
2016 Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Package
2011 F150 SCrew XTR 5.0L 4x4
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
What is your gain set at?
2014 Surveyor SC321BHTS
2016 Ford F150 Eco
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:09 PM   #7
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to jack it up this weekend and try Justice12t's suggestions. And yes I'm trying to lock them using the override lever simce that is what the instructions were to try and set the gain. Dealer suggested the gain be at 6 which I did at first however I've tested from 2 all the way to 10 and haven't seen a difference.
2016 Vibe 250BHS
2013 Ford F150 Supercrew
Husky Center Line TS Hitch.
LJS1211 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
I have the same truck. I have several trailers and the only one that locks up is my new dump trailer. The others just need to be adjusted. Probably what yours needs also...
2016 Forester 2401WS MBS
Life is the cookie
bob dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:40 AM   #9
Funny you brought this up. I was worried about the same thing with my setup. I came across an article from ford, but can't seem to find it at the moment, that said the factory installed controller will only apply the amount of brake needed to stop the trailer based off of the speed of the truck.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2005 F-350 Dually Diesel
emtp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
Could be burnt magnets. I had to replace all four of mine.

Gary and Donna
2005 Cardinal 33TS-LX
Trail Air pin box
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote

brake control, controller, ford, brakes