Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Question about sway and fishtail recovery

Ok, so we just upgrade to a 25' TT this year. It has brakes and i have the brake controller in the cab. I also have WDH and friction sway bar. I'm towing with a 2010 Nissan Frontier.

My question is, if i were to experience sway or fishtailing what is the correct way to recover from it? I've read a few different things and its hard to figure out which its correct. So i turn to you guys.

And i understand about weigh distribution and tongue weight. I'm asking about what to do while driving if it happens. Id like to have an idea just in case. Thanks in advance.
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #2

Here is a good thread to read...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nt-100368.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Thanks, i didnt see that when i searched
Old 04-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #4

I read through the first page of that link... but have to disagree with the "accelerate out of trailer sway" recommendation.

Maybe if you have a severe sway created by a sudden gust of wind or a very large speeding vehicle passing you... but this is rare.

Typically the sway starts medium-to-small and only gets worse if you ignore it.

In these situations the best thing to do is always to let off the accelerator and slow down gradually until the sway comes under control. Do not speed back up unless the situation improves itself (no more cross wind, less traffic, etc).

Do not stomp on the brake pedal. A hard deceleration coupled with a heavy sway could cause the trailer to come around and jack-knife.

You could use the manual over-ride to apply just trailer brakes. Doing so should typically help.
BUT (and this is a big BUT)
you must understand that your trailer does not have ABS (Anti-Lock Brakes) so if you just grab that manual brake lever and squeeze it all the way (which is likely when in an emergency) you could potentially lock your trailer brakes and make the situation much worse.

yes, perhaps most trailers cannot lock the brakes when heavily loaded and at high speeds and on dry pavement... but ... is it raining? is it cold? is the trailer empty? (sway is often worse with an empty trailer if the tongue weight is wrong)...
there are many factors to understand.
mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #5

Having towed with a half dozen different TV/TT combinations over the years, I have infrequently gotten into a sway situation. But when I have, I've always found that gentle manual application of the trailer brakes alone with the hand control works really well.
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftengr View Post
Having towed with a half dozen different TV/TT combinations over the years, I have infrequently gotten into a sway situation. But when I have, I've always found that gentle manual application of the trailer brakes alone with the hand control works really well.
X2....
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
X2....

3X
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #8

Sadly sooner or later it does happen. Trying to be prepared ahead of time is a great idea. I have learned that gently applying the manual control on the brake controller to apply the trailer brakes is the quickest and safest way to come out of the sway situation. And like a few have said, most trailer brakes on new models won't even lock up. But it does pull everything back into alignment. Then just find the safest place to pull over while you go back in the trailer and change your underwear..
PupScrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #9

X4
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #10

Thank you all for the comments.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #11

Towing trailers over the years, I have learned that the trailer needs to be slightly lower in the front (hitch height adjustment) and this will really help preventing sway..(don't load cargo in the back of the trailer, also..)
I agree with everyone, manually hitting trailer brakes will help get in control of sway...
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #12

I have a 2014 F150 which has automatic sway control. The way it is supposed to work is that when sway is occurring, the truck automatically applies certain amount of trailer braking. I don't know how well this works???
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
3X
Totally agree here. When you start to sway a gentle application of trailer brakes with your foot off the gas pedal does bring the matter under control. It's that initial feeling that you get when it happens when you aren't expecting it that can be a little intimidating. I'm still relatively new at towing and still get a little nervous when this happens but careful thought and quick action helps. I still get jazzed when it is caused by a semi.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Campahedu
sway control

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
I have a 2014 F150 which has automatic sway control. The way it is supposed to work is that when sway is occurring, the truck automatically applies certain amount of trailer braking. I don't know how well this works???
This doesn't help the Nissan owner but I believe the newer models with tow package have "sway control" built in. My 2013 f150 EB does and I know first hand how well it works. Great! And it does exactly what some of the other responses have been : gently apply trailer brakes and slow down. When its automatic, there is no thinking involved. But I do like the suggestion of keeping a clean pair of boxer shorts in the trailer for just the occasion

Chris & Deb
2013 F150 3.5 EB,Wildwood X-Lite 262BH
Campahedu.com
Campahedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #15

Virtually everyone agrees that manually applying trailer brakes helps counteract sway. Not everyone agrees on the amount of trailer brakes or whether "acceleration” helps. My 2 cents:

Simple reasoning indicates trailer brakes can safely be applied up to traction limits, as this tends to straighten and slow the rig and increase stability. On warm dry pavement, you use more braking than on cold wet pavement. No skid, no problem, provided the trailer brakes are properly working (reasonably balanced).

Regarding “acceleration,” my experience and country lore back to the 30’s and 40’s (before most common folks had trailer brakes) is that opening the throttle helps, and the amount is based on your seat-of-the-pants judgment and experience. I saw my dad hit the gas hard to stop sway and saw it work. If you simultaneously apply trailer brakes, this “acceleration” does not significantly increase speed, but the combined drawbar pull and trailer resistance will tend to straighten the rig, limiting sway.

It takes some guts and confidence to open throttle when trouble hits, but occasionally it’s the right thing to do.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #16

I appreciate all the input you guys have given. Hopefully it never happens, but if it does i have some idea what to do.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #17

If it happens for no apparent reason or more than once, find a place to pull over and check things. You may have loaded wrong or have a bad tire. If tires and hitch look good look at your gear in the camper and the tank levels. If you started with a full fresh water up front and empty grey/back in the rear, maybe you are empty fresh and full waste now. Or Lucy was collecting rocks and put them all in the back bathtub. We were getting sway on our old Hi-Lo after I added a cool storage bin on the back to hold chairs and stuff. I put way too much "stuff" back there and had to move it all up on the front couch. I could only keep light things back there like sleeping bags and flip cushions especially if i didn't have the fresh water tank up front full. That was without any WDH hitch or sway control and only over 65 mph but shows wrong weight balance is probably the biggest cause of sway in the first place.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
Ok, so we just upgrade to a 25' TT this year. It has brakes and i have the brake controller in the cab. I also have WDH and friction sway bar. I'm towing with a 2010 Nissan Frontier.

My question is, if i were to experience sway or fishtailing what is the correct way to recover from it? I've read a few different things and its hard to figure out which its correct. So i turn to you guys.

And i understand about weigh distribution and tongue weight. I'm asking about what to do while driving if it happens. Id like to have an idea just in case. Thanks in advance.

Please, please investigate the Propride 3P hitch. will make all your sway issues virtually go away...
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #19

I fall in the use the trailer brakes. But I also figure out what speed I need to be at so sway doesn't happen in the first place. Keeping an eye out for semis coming up and sliding as far away from them and their draft is also a good idea.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #20

That's a lot of trailer for a Frontier. Just sayin. Trailer weight is only one factor, having a 25'+ sail behind you is another, and TV weight helps with that.

Like mentioned, I'd look in to a ProPride 3P. Yes, it costs a lot. But, it works better than any WDH system I've used. Having a light TV like a Frontier with a 25' trailer I'd seriously consider it.

Tags
cover, sway