Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Question about towing with a Ford Edge

Hello, I have a towing related question. I have a 2013 Ford Edge V6 AWD with a tow capacity of 3500lbs. I was wondering what is the largest R-Pod I can tow safely is. I plan on going into the hills and mountains as well as the flats. Any help would be great.

Thank you
KiterTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiterTwin View Post
Hello, I have a towing related question. I have a 2013 Ford Edge V6 AWD with a tow capacity of 3500lbs. I was wondering what is the largest R-Pod I can tow safely is. I plan on going into the hills and mountains as well as the flats. Any help would be great.

Thank you
that 3500lbs. towing capacity is rated with only a 150lb. driver in it.
any other passengers and cargo in the Edge, will decrease that number by its weight.

the 171 and 172 are the only ones with a GVWR under 3500lbs.
so, those two are the only ones that appear to be within the Edge's specs.

nearly all vehicles like the Edge and other CUV/minivans, have the magic 3500 number, which severely limits what they can tow.
popups, egg-shaped trailers and teardrops are generally the only trailers that fall into this range.

and, as you see, even big teardrops only have a couple that will fit under that 3500 number.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #3

My new Explorer has a 5000 lb. trailer tow capacity. I'd be good with a bass boat for 10 or 20 miles, but I wouldn't think about towing in the mountains or really long distances with a 5000 lb. trailer. I wouldn't think about putting my 24' Bennington tritoon behind it.

Fortunately the ramps on my lakes are really first class, and they're not too steep and not too mossy/slick. Front wheel drive vehicles with heavy trailer tongue weights and poor quality ramps can be difficult.

There again, I keep a 3/4 ton crewcab SuperDuty to do my towing with.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #4

Right. Total weight of the loaded camper, plus whatever passengers and cargo are in the Edge can be no more than 3650lbs (3500 + 150lb allowance for driver). If you are going into mountains, you should take an additional safety factor for the effects of elevation on engine output.

Check out this 2013 Ford Towing Guide
There is plenty of info, and there is usually recommendations for elevation toward the end in the general sections.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

We used to tow a 3050 lb Jayco popup all over the place with our 2007 Edge and I had to put air bags on rear to level the ride out and after 2 years I upgraded the front discs to a good ventilated disc. But over all we had no issues and just as in towing anything you have to allow more clearance for braking and pay attention down the road to avoid suprises.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing