Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 12:03 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbecky View Post
Well if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. Today I traded in the van and bought a 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7l V8 hemi. Tow capacity 8500lbs. Didn't want to risk trouble on the road. Thanks for all the great advice.
Way to go! You should have no issues at all now.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Well if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. Today I traded in the van and bought a 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.7l V8 hemi. Tow capacity 8500lbs. Didn't want to risk trouble on the road. Thanks for all the great advice.
Excellent decision! Thanks for sticking with us while we beat on your poor van.

You won't regret the truck purchase. Now hook to that thing and go camping!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #23

Congrats! Awesome choice, you’ll love towing with that.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #24

Quote:
What the payload rating?
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
That's a moot point as the OP's T/V will be way overweight with that TT. Nothing he does will make it work safely. Another problem is the 2016 T&C doesn't allow the driver to monitor transmission temperatures.
I don't care if it's a moot point, it's still an option for anyone looking to upgrade and worried about their warranty.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #26

You want to look at the yellow and white Tire and Loading Information sticker located on the drivers door pillar. If yours is like mine the load is 1150#. You need to deduct the weight of the hitch, cargo and passengers from the "Should Never Exceed" limit on that sticker. Then, you need to subtract 10 - 15% for TT tongue weight. Then, on top of that you need to subtract the weight of the personal belongings you put in the front of the TT. Pay attention to bikendan's post (#7).

Rob & Becky,

Excellent questions and astute observation! And too, "Scraper's" suggestions were erstwhile! I have friends in a similar circumstance. "In my opinion" No. Do not put an aftermarket transmission cooler on until after your warranty period. Whereas transmission fluid can get too hot, it also needs to be hot enough to work properly as it was formulated for Chrysler products.

Learn what G.V.W.R. is, i.e., Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, and what G.C.W.R. is, i.e., Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. As your vehicle came out of the factory, it was designated as having zero weight. Now add a full tank of gas, two human beings, luggage or children in the back, (a rooftop carrier perhaps?). You have just come closer, (exceeded?), to your G.V.W.R. Now add your RV. Your now dealing with G.C.W.R. The weight of your RV, including everything put into it encompasses the latter. Have you exceeded any criteria on your vehicles placard? Finally, now that you are loaded with EVERYTHING, go to the truck stop scales and weigh in. You now have empirical data to insure your numbers meet the required safe operating criteria of your vehicle, RV, and each combined.

Back to the transmission cooler. Drive slower, 60/65 MPH is so much more enjoyable to see your surroundings, not to mention safer. Ascending to the point your transmission shifts to a lower gear, ease off on the gas, you don't have to get to the mountain top first! Learn to check your transmission fluid; is it red, brown, smell burnt, etc. If on an extended trip, have the fluid checked or changed by a certified technician or even a Chrysler dealership if you continue to have warranty concerns.

Now if you remain apprehensive, it's very easy to install a transmission temperature gauge, analog or digital, without voiding your warranty. 50 years ago it was said by the time the "idiot light" came on, the damage was already done. Not so with today's technology. I remember my dad yelling at me when working the farm. I was cutting corners hauling hay. "Son! Do you expect half a team to do the work of a full team?" Harvey's "Pacifica", dragging his 3200lb camper, now has 34000 miles on it... and currently he's en route to the "Black Hills"! (No, no aftermarket transmission cooler. He's informed, LIKE YOU ARE DOING, staying within the combined limits of his tow vehicle and RV.)

George G. Fries
DAB FL

2016 Wildcat 29RLX
2015 RAM, 2500 Crew, 6.4L
4 X 4, Single, 4.10 Rear
GeorgeFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #27
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeFries View Post
You want to look at the yellow and white Tire and Loading Information sticker located on the drivers door pillar. If yours is like mine the load is 1150#. You need to deduct the weight of the hitch, cargo and passengers from the "Should Never Exceed" limit on that sticker. Then, you need to subtract 10 - 15% for TT tongue weight. Then, on top of that you need to subtract the weight of the personal belongings you put in the front of the TT. Pay attention to bikendan's post (#7).

Rob & Becky,

Excellent questions and astute observation! And too, "Scraper's" suggestions were erstwhile! I have friends in a similar circumstance. "In my opinion" No. Do not put an aftermarket transmission cooler on until after your warranty period. Whereas transmission fluid can get too hot, it also needs to be hot enough to work properly as it was formulated for Chrysler products.

Learn what G.V.W.R. is, i.e., Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, and what G.C.W.R. is, i.e., Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. As your vehicle came out of the factory, it was designated as having zero weight. Now add a full tank of gas, two human beings, luggage or children in the back, (a rooftop carrier perhaps?). You have just come closer, (exceeded?), to your G.V.W.R. Now add your RV. Your now dealing with G.C.W.R. The weight of your RV, including everything put into it encompasses the latter. Have you exceeded any criteria on your vehicles placard? Finally, now that you are loaded with EVERYTHING, go to the truck stop scales and weigh in. You now have empirical data to insure your numbers meet the required safe operating criteria of your vehicle, RV, and each combined.

Back to the transmission cooler. Drive slower, 60/65 MPH is so much more enjoyable to see your surroundings, not to mention safer. Ascending to the point your transmission shifts to a lower gear, ease off on the gas, you don't have to get to the mountain top first! Learn to check your transmission fluid; is it red, brown, smell burnt, etc. If on an extended trip, have the fluid checked or changed by a certified technician or even a Chrysler dealership if you continue to have warranty concerns.

Now if you remain apprehensive, it's very easy to install a transmission temperature gauge, analog or digital, without voiding your warranty. 50 years ago it was said by the time the "idiot light" came on, the damage was already done. Not so with today's technology. I remember my dad yelling at me when working the farm. I was cutting corners hauling hay. "Son! Do you expect half a team to do the work of a full team?" Harvey's "Pacifica", dragging his 3200lb camper, now has 34000 miles on it... and currently he's en route to the "Black Hills"!

George G. Fries
DAB FL
Did you not read through this thread? The OP bought a Ram 1500...

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #28

Is a Correction Due?

Hello HangDiver, (Wooden Spoon?)

Hi folks. So I own a 2016 Chrysler Town & Country S model. The owner's manual says it is rated to tow 3600lbs. The dry weight of my new travel trailer is 2900lbs.

To be sure, I went back to the original post. Above is what I read, and have re-read to be sure.

Thank you for the heads up!

George
DAB FL

2016 Wildcat 29RLX
2015 RAM, 2500 Crew, 6.4L
4 X 4, Single, 4.10 Rear
GeorgeFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #29
Just as confused as you

Quote:

Good for you!

Now if I can only talk DW into letting me upgrade to a 3/4 ton. I am like you were with my truck, 10500# max tow capacity with WDH, TT weighs 9890# without personal items, water, etc. TW is over by 290# without the WDH, so add another 75-100#.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:

Hi folks. So I own a 2016 Chrysler Town & Country S model. The owner's manual says it is rated to tow 3600lbs. The dry weight of my new travel trailer is 2900lbs.

To be sure, I went back to the original post. Above is what I read, and have re-read to be sure.

George
DAB FL
Look at post #19.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #31

Quote:

George
DAB FL
It's always best to read the entire thread before replying, because in this case you replied to the original post and completely missed the update by the OP that they bought a truck to tow with.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #32

robbecky...

there is a yellow sticker on the driver door jamb that will tell you payload... although I am sure you have plenty, be advised that tow capacity and payload are two different items...

many with smaller TV exceed the payload way before they hit the tow capacity...

here is a pic of my 2014 RAM 1500 sticker showing 1309# combined weight (payload)... which is passengers, gear and tongue weight combined... My trailer is shy of 500# Tongue weight which leaves me about 800# for gear and passengers in the truck. II bet you will luv the RAM and 8 speed tranny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payload.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	190991  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #33

hopefully the Tranny is much improved, we had 3 chry mini vans when kids were young went thru 7 transmissions. loved the van but Tranny was fragile. 15 years ago
NormTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #34
Just as confused as you

The tranny in the trucks are way above the 6-spd transaxle in the minivans. You'll love the truck.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #35
KnP

Manufactures build with a Safety Factor in mind. If the vehicle is rated for X weight you better believe it. For example, my Pontiac G8 has a towing capacity of 4620 Lbs with the GM designed hitch. However, is recomended to add a transmission cooler if you order the car with towing package (not available in the USA). The transmission is a 6L80 that you find in a Caddy Scalade. When GM Australia (Holden) designed the car, according to sources, is capable of 150% of the rated load, as a Safety Marging/Factor, is advertised to 2100 Kg.

The Owners Manual should give you the correct guidance. If states a Towing Package of some sort, it will give you the limits. If the Vehicle is equiped as is with that Towing Rating you bet it will tow it.

The trailer has brakes? If so, I will suggest the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Trailer-Mount Brake Controler. Is the most easier to install and without going crazy wiring anything. Used it over 6000 miles trouble free. The head unit is powered via 12V outlet and is wireless. Once you are done with it, store in the camper for next use.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #36

Never hurts to add one.
Max-cool is my choice
campsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #37
KnP

True, true... why not getting rid of the OEM and add a larger capacity heavy duty type?

Anyway, transmissions they do have operational temps, colder fluid is not necessary good. As long is kept at ideal operational temps, it should work just fine.

On my car, I added a By Pass Thermovalve to keep the temps at 180~190F which is the correct operational temp for the transmission. So far, has been a great choice and the transmission run as good ass new.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:32 AM   #38

Question about transmission cooler

If your transmission goes out under warranty, don't ever tell the dealer you've been towing . Your repair will probably be denied.
scott peck is offline   Reply With Quote