Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #21

F150

I recently purchased a 2016 F150 Lariat with 22k on it with Max Tow that was Canadian. I absolutely love it!!!! There is no difference between the US and Canadian truck. I use it to pull an ultra lite 2706ws 6,500lbs dry. I also received the remainder of the Ford warranty and also purchased the extended due to all the electronics involved on the truck.
Coop067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhfenton View Post
A lot of the Roads are gravel? OMG and WTF? They don't have running water and use outhouses too! I'm not sure who you've been talking to; but, they're talking out their butts.

I recently bought a Canadian F-150 Lariat FX4, and I can't argue with it at all. The price was good, and I got the remainder of the Ford warranty. To get some piece of mind, I also got a Ford extended warranty. I got badly burned on a third party warranty and will never do one again. The salt issue in Canada is no worse than it is in northern NY, so that wasn't an issue for me.
I wasn't trying to offend anyone. Obviously something sandblasted the truck I looked at. I know guys that go north into Canada fishing every year and they complain about all the gravel roads. Probably just the back roads. I know there are plenty of gravel back roads in Minnesota too, been down them with my camper. I was just putting it out there to look for things like that, obviously on any truck. The truck I finally purchased came out of Nebraska with 10K more miles than the one from Canada and didn't have the sand blasting effect. Good luck in your hunt for a truck.
gadgetgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I've encountered way more gravel roads in the US that I ever have in Canada. Most of ours are paved. What you might be noticing is the liberal use of salt we use each winter to combat the snow and ice. It can do a real number on the undercarriage if it's not well taken care of.

A lot of my Central Illinois roads are gravel too.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #24

I can guarantee that there will be no U.S. warranty or any recall work done on an imported vehicle from Canada that is than resold in the U.S by a U.S. dealer. Both of my sons have bought reimported vehicles from use car dealers. One was a 1999, Ford 7.3L Powerstroke and the other was a 2013.5 Ram with the 6.7L Cummins. Both have had in their ownership period recall notices from the manufactures. After receiving these notices and going to a U.S. dealer, they were informed that service work had to be done by a Canadian dealer.

For my sons and myself this is not a big issues since we work on our own vehicles but if you don't than that could be an issues for you.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #25

Question: Canadian Imported F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I can guarantee that there will be no U.S. warranty or any recall work done on an imported vehicle from Canada that is than resold in the U.S by a U.S. dealer. Both of my sons have bought reimported vehicles from use car dealers. One was a 1999, Ford 7.3L Powerstroke and the other was a 2013.5 Ram with the 6.7L Cummins. Both have had in their ownership period recall notices from the manufactures. After receiving these notices and going to a U.S. dealer, they were informed that service work had to be done by a Canadian dealer.

For my sons and myself this is not a big issues since we work on our own vehicles but if you don't than that could be an issues for you.

Absolutely wrong. Not only is the Ford warranty honored, it was extended as a Ford Certified Used vehicle for an additional year. And, I have received a recall mailing. Of course this may have been true for a truck as old as 1999 or for FCA.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #26

One key item to note..

All used vehicles being sent to US for resale, MUST be completely collision and insurance claim free by Law.. The US dealers are fairly comfortable offering warranties because of their complete history.

Canada does not have a similar law, so vehicles coming into Canada from US, do not have any history. so they are usually without manufacturer warranty
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #27
Dobbs from WI

My 2013 Canadian F150 has the 36 gallon tank, block heater, but NO rear window defroster! What's up with that? My windows get frosty in Wisconsin.
From what I have found researching my XTR designation is its a Canadian XLT with the chrome package.
Also the daytime running lights and headlights on with the wipers (Canadian law I believe) is nice.
I am very happy with the towing with the Ecoboost.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
My 2013 Canadian F150 has the 36 gallon tank, block heater, but NO rear window defroster! What's up with that? My windows get frosty in Wisconsin.
From what I have found researching my XTR designation is its a Canadian XLT with the chrome package.
Also the daytime running lights and headlights on with the wipers (Canadian law I believe) is nice.
I am very happy with the towing with the Ecoboost.
The XTR is an option package on the lt. I currently drive one and by the discussion free it must only be sold in Canada. The package includes the 18 inch chrome wheels and corresponding tires that are sized larger than the xlt but can be ordered separately. It includes some different trim on the door handles and tailgate as well as a chrome billet style grill.

I once drove an SUV imported used from the US. That was when our dollar was worth more and good used trucks went the other way across the border. Now all our good used trucks go to the US due to the current economics as already explained by others. To get them to Canada the dealers flip the speedo and Canada requires daytime running lights. So a Canadian truck may have daytime running lights unless the disable them to meet US requirements.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetgeek View Post
I wasn't trying to offend anyone. Obviously something sandblasted the truck I looked at. I know guys that go north into Canada fishing every year and they complain about all the gravel roads. Probably just the back roads. I know there are plenty of gravel back roads in Minnesota too, been down them with my camper. I was just putting it out there to look for things like that, obviously on any truck. The truck I finally purchased came out of Nebraska with 10K more miles than the one from Canada and didn't have the sand blasting effect. Good luck in your hunt for a truck.

Haha yes we have paved roads. My truck has barely seen gravel. But I understand what you mean I have seen trucks from rural and northern areas with that sand blasted look. That includes frames and even the front edge of a rear door or front edge of a box that is not perfectly aligned. Some areas of the west and north are colder than here and salt does not work well so more sand is used for traction on ice and it will do what you describe.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I was wondering when this would come up. In Canada some GM dealers bought SUV's from US dealers when the company was going down in 2000's. They would purchase at 50 cents on dollar the import and change the speedo cluster.

Also Famous from Gimli is Crown Royal. The best Rye in the world.

Attachment 170207
Well, in normal speech, we call it "Rye" but in fact, Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey, like many Canadian Whiskies does not have enough rye in it to use "Rye" on the label. Many brands, including Crown Royal are now marketing real Rye Whiskey. It is different and I prefer it to Canadian Whiskies. (When there's no Scotch or Irish, that is).

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #31

Quote:

Just had the 15N05 (electric vacuum pump issue) service performed on my 2011 F150 (ecoboost)...no charge. It was originally from Canada. They tried to back out of it at first, but I explained it was built in USA and Ford had been the one to contact me.
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #32

And I have the block heater but only a 26 gallon tank...which is a little bit of a bummer.
m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #33

Quote:

My 2002 Canadian F150 King ranch was covered under the original dactory 36k warranty and my 2015 Canadian F150 Lariat has been covered under facrory warranty. No arguments from the dealers doing the work. I beleive it is on Fords website that it is covered.
KMANUEL74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin79 View Post
Do they tell you it is from Canada? Is there any noticeable way to tell?

I guess it depends if the dealer is honest. I bought a ram from Canada for about 6k under blue book. When I asked why it was so cheep they said from Canada with no ram warranty. Upgraded before I ever had to test the no warranty theory.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
Haha yes we have paved roads. My truck has barely seen gravel. But I understand what you mean I have seen trucks from rural and northern areas with that sand blasted look. That includes frames and even the front edge of a rear door or front edge of a box that is not perfectly aligned. Some areas of the west and north are colder than here and salt does not work well so more sand is used for traction on ice and it will do what you describe.
Salt and sand isn't the worst, sure the sand can do a number on the windshield (micro pitting).
Here they've started using calcium chloride, which is an absolute nightmare. It works down into the -20's but you can't really tell when it freezes over or when fresh snow accumulates on top of it and it eats chrome, aluminum and even stainless steel in record time.
At least Northern BC still uses good old sand.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:00 AM   #36

Back in late 2016 I got my ‘16 2500 Duramax “used” with about 200 miles on it. It was purchased from a Canadian dealer, imported to the US and then found its way onto auction. Only two months since the had warranty started.

Turns out it was exactly what I had been searching for - white custom sport, dual alternators, Z71, Gray interior WITH the split bench up front which I needed for the family! It also was an LTZ with the factory 5er prep. So yeah, it’s loaded. And I got it for 55 while sticker was 65.

My local dealer did perform the first two oil changes free per GM warranty. My third one is coming up!
candlepwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:37 AM   #37

I’m in Canada and I can tell you this... I know of several people that buy the top of the line f150’s and 350 and sell them after a few months and make money on them! And then they get resold to the United States! It has something to do with the United States having an emissions fee or levy on new vehicles but the levy is a lot less when it is a used vehicle.... in other words we just break them in for ya! I know of young men that make tons of money buying these trucks and making money off them in a couple of months selling them back to the dealer. Who then sells them to the United states
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
I’m in Canada and I can tell you this... I know of several people that buy the top of the line f150’s and 350 and sell them after a few months and make money on them! And then they get resold to the United States! It has something to do with the United States having an emissions fee or levy on new vehicles but the levy is a lot less when it is a used vehicle.... in other words we just break them in for ya! I know of young men that make tons of money buying these trucks and making money off them in a couple of months selling them back to the dealer. Who then sells them to the United states
A buddy of mine was leasing a 2016 GMC K1500. The dealer called him 1 year into his lease and offered to put him in a new 2017 lease with more options, slightly lower payment and cut him a cheque for $3000. The dealer sent his 2016 truck to the US.

There must be money in it if dealers can offer up these kind of incentives.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote