Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #81

Reading all of this is makin' my head hurt.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnKat View Post
Lubricity, the key to longer life, slicker operation, more HP transferred to where the rubber meets the road, more MPG?
Key to better MPG is more brains in your right foot.........
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #83

"Key to better MPG is more brains in your right foot........."

Actually the cruse control does a good job , the modern truck units use the GPS to look ahead and will downshift before the steep hill.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Any additive with a DEF / SCR engine, is moot to the emissions hardware anyway because your emissions mitigation hardware is all POST (after) combustion. The additives get consumed in the ignition cycle and don't impact post treatment of exhaust at all.

Most all additives just increase the lubricity of the fuel (primary purpose) with increasing the cloud point secondary and mitigation of algae growth secondary as well, unless you use a specific bio-cide.

2 cycle oil just increases the lubricity the sulfur did back in the day. Micro hones surfaces in the injection system and injector pintles need lubrication that modern ULSD lacks.

You can thank the EPA for that.

Yeah. Ditto. Whatever he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Yeah. Ditto. Whatever he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I should have said DECREASE the cloud point, not increase it. The cloud point is where the fuel begins to form wax crystals and ultimately gels.

2 cycle oil won't impact the cloud point but it will impact lubricity but so will plain motor oil so long as the ash content is low (as in synthetic motor oil). High ash content is what leaves behind carbon and combustion chamber deposits.

2 cycle specific (pre mix) oils are formulated with minimal ash because a 2 stroke engine will build carbon deposits in the exhaust ports causing poor performance.

My only issue with using a 2 stroke pre-mix oil is that most all brands today have stabilization additives mixed in. How those impact a diesel engine, I have no idea.

In fact, years ago Roadway Express (trucking company) designed an oil injection system whereas they injected crankcase oil back into intake and burned it with the fuel. Their design was to mitigate disposal of used motor oil. They kept adding oil instead of changing it.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel